FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Relationship between pitted/unpitted cherries (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/93575-relationship-between-pitted-unpitted.html)

Bryan M. Everitt 10-06-2006 03:46 PM

Relationship between pitted/unpitted cherries

I am getting ready to start new batch and want to use 10 pounds of fresh
cherries.. Unfortunately, I have only been able to get a hold of canned,
pitted cherries. Given that the pit constitutes a significant amount of the
weight of the cherry, what are your recommendations for the new amount I
should add? I have been able to find some info, but nothing exact. There
is a USDA guide to farm products that seems to indicate pitted cherries
weigh about 70% of unpitted cherries, which would mean 7 pounds. Does this
sound right? Thanks for any advice.

--
Bryan