Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default homemade yeast energizer?

Is there some way to grow yeast using a homemade alternative to the yeast
energizer sold for wine making? I'd like to be able to re-use the yeast from
one batch of fermentation for successive batches. Subsequent batches do not
ferment well, I assume because of a lack of nutrients in juice (I'm making
apple cider from bottled juce). I'd like to be able to avoid having to buy
yeast and energizer from the wine making store. Is there anything I could
get at the supermarket that would work well for "reenergizing" used yeast?
Would pureed bananas, a different type of juice (grape?) or flour and water
or something like that work?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I have been taught (30 years ago ) to re - use the yeast left when racking
beer from the primary fermenter. I have done it several time since without
impairing the taste of beer. If your are brewing beer on a continual basis
there is no need to buy yeast. However, if you are not ready to make
another batch right after then you need to buy new yeast.

"homemadeenergizer" m>
wrote in message .com...
> Is there some way to grow yeast using a homemade alternative to the yeast
> energizer sold for wine making? I'd like to be able to re-use the yeast
> from
> one batch of fermentation for successive batches. Subsequent batches do
> not
> ferment well, I assume because of a lack of nutrients in juice (I'm making
> apple cider from bottled juce). I'd like to be able to avoid having to buy
> yeast and energizer from the wine making store. Is there anything I could
> get at the supermarket that would work well for "reenergizing" used yeast?
> Would pureed bananas, a different type of juice (grape?) or flour and
> water
> or something like that work?
>

> Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> Is there some way to grow yeast using a homemade alternative to the yeast
> energizer sold for wine making? I'd like to be able to re-use the yeast from
> one batch of fermentation for successive batches. Subsequent batches do not
> ferment well, I assume because of a lack of nutrients in juice ...

Two things come to mind...

One is to boil some bread yeast, cool it and add it in. This should
act similar to yeast nutrients.

Second, subsequent batches may be short on oxygen... be sure to aerate
the new batches well so that the yeast has plenty of oxygen available
for health and reproduction.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

homemadeenergizer wrote:
> Is there some way to grow yeast using a homemade alternative to the yeast
> energizer sold for wine making? I'd like to be able to re-use the yeast from
> one batch of fermentation for successive batches. Subsequent batches do not
> ferment well, I assume because of a lack of nutrients in juice (I'm making
> apple cider from bottled juce). I'd like to be able to avoid having to buy
> yeast and energizer from the wine making store. Is there anything I could
> get at the supermarket that would work well for "reenergizing" used yeast?
> Would pureed bananas, a different type of juice (grape?) or flour and water
> or something like that work?
>

> Thanks

Well whats a dollar when your talkin' about wine? Break down and give
your local shop some business. If you have gone to the expense of
buying juice or the labor to pick the fruit don't chance something
going wrong by not adding some yeast nutrient.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

fasteddy999 wrote:
> homemadeenergizer wrote:
>
>>Is there some way to grow yeast using a homemade alternative to the yeast
>>energizer sold for wine making? I'd like to be able to re-use the yeast from
>>one batch of fermentation for successive batches. Subsequent batches do not
>>ferment well, I assume because of a lack of nutrients in juice (I'm making
>>apple cider from bottled juce). I'd like to be able to avoid having to buy
>>yeast and energizer from the wine making store. Is there anything I could
>>get at the supermarket that would work well for "reenergizing" used yeast?
>>Would pureed bananas, a different type of juice (grape?) or flour and water
>>or something like that work?
>>

>>Thanks

Well I tried to boil some potato and the clear juice I used a bit of
once, but I had like shreded bit I threw out. It did seem to work quite
well, but back then I didn't go high alcchol and something went wrong
and it freaked me out because the lalvin 1118 seemed to infect me and
eventually I got rid of it after a week or so. I think the count was too
high and its internals had been fueled by the potato... ... ...

no probs with lalvin1118 after yeast nutrient and high alcohol

Matthew Suffidy - Ottawa, Canada

(use as printed)
http://matthew.chungus.com

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The method that works well for me is taking 25-50% of the yeast dreggs
and boiling it for a minute or so... This cooks the yeast cells and
when cooled added back into the wort....The dead yeast cells actually
feeds the remaining yeast.... Result a more lively fermentation...