Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Marty Phee

Default Bottle Shock

What does it taste like?

I have some Pinot Grigio I bottled on 11/20. Tried some tonight and it
doesn't taste right. Kind of a musty taste as my wife says.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Actually what you are tasting is not a result of bottle shock. The
mustiness in wine comes from a contaminated cork which contains a
chemical called TCA. TCA is what makes the wine taste musty. Bottle
shock is referred to as a blandness in wine that occurs when the wine
is first bottled.

C.G-A
Winemaker
C.G. Di Arie Vineyard & Winery

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Marty Phee

So far I've opened two bottles that exhibit the problem. Should I
assume the others will have the same problem? I haven't smelled it in
the corks.

Toss the rest of the corks?
Clean corker?

This was my first wine. Was tasting pretty good before I bottled.

wrote:
> Actually what you are tasting is not a result of bottle shock. The
> mustiness in wine comes from a contaminated cork which contains a
> chemical called TCA. TCA is what makes the wine taste musty. Bottle
> shock is referred to as a blandness in wine that occurs when the wine
> is first bottled.
>
> C.G-A
> Winemaker
> C.G. Di Arie Vineyard & Winery

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Tom S

"Marty Phee" > wrote in message
. net...
> Can anything be done?
>
> This was a brand new bag of corks. What should I have done to the corks
> before using them.

For my amateur wines I always rinsed the corks in several changes of warm
water, until the water runs clear, before using them. I have had very few
bad bottles over the course of 20+ years doing that. Also, the water
softens the corks and lubricates them slightly so they insert more easily
and conform to the neck of the bottle better.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
marty

So far two out of 20 (some are 1.75).

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Unfortunately, once the corks have the TCA, there is not much that can
be done. Cork manufacturers are trying very hard to remove the TCA
from the corks as a part of the process of manufacturing corks. 5-10%
of all commercially used corks are tainted with TCA. If 2 bottles that
you opened taste musty, it doesn't mean that all your wine will be
musty. The only way to know that your cork has TCA before you use it
is to send it to the lab for analysis of TCA.

CG-A
C.G. Di Arie Vineyard & Winery

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ric

Sounds like a great idea for making corking the bottles easier - but is
there any data to support the notion that this somehow removes or
reduces the trichloranisole contamination? Anything I've read or
experienced suggests that a tainted cork is a tainted cork - and there
ain't anything you can do about it.

???

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert

Lot of discussion on TCA above. It is rare but it does happen. If you have
it, you have it. But give the wine 6 months to see if it clear up anyway.
It might if it is something else.

Back to your question of bottle shock. It is hard to describe. You taste
your wine when you bottle it and it tastes great. Then a week later a
friend comes over and you want to brag so you open a bottle and it is just
not as good as it was when you bottled. Then a couple of months later you
try another bottle and it is good again. Best description I can give.

Ray

"Marty Phee" > wrote in message
. net...
> What does it taste like?
>
> I have some Pinot Grigio I bottled on 11/20. Tried some tonight and it
> doesn't taste right. Kind of a musty taste as my wife says.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Marty Phee

> try another bottle and it is good again. Best description I can give.
But no funk...

I'm tossing the corks I have and I'm going to let the wine sit for a
while longer.

The bottle I sent to my sister for Christmas was good, so not all is lost.

Ray Calvert wrote:
> Lot of discussion on TCA above. It is rare but it does happen. If you have
> it, you have it. But give the wine 6 months to see if it clear up anyway.
> It might if it is something else.
>
> Back to your question of bottle shock. It is hard to describe. You taste
> your wine when you bottle it and it tastes great. Then a week later a
> friend comes over and you want to brag so you open a bottle and it is just
> not as good as it was when you bottled. Then a couple of months later you
> try another bottle and it is good again. Best description I can give.
>
> Ray
>
> "Marty Phee" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> What does it taste like?
>>
>> I have some Pinot Grigio I bottled on 11/20. Tried some tonight and it
>> doesn't taste right. Kind of a musty taste as my wife says.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Tom S

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
. net...
> Back to your question of bottle shock. It is hard to describe. You taste
> your wine when you bottle it and it tastes great. Then a week later a
> friend comes over and you want to brag so you open a bottle and it is just
> not as good as it was when you bottled. Then a couple of months later you
> try another bottle and it is good again. Best description I can give.

Wine doesn't have to be bottled to do that. I observed similar effects in
my barrels of Pinot Noir from week to week. As my friend Joanne put it, it
would jump around like a Chihuahua!

I'm still not convinced that it was the wine, however, rather than my palate
being "off". Still, that doesn't explain why I only noticed that with Pinot
Noir - never Chardonnay or Cabernet.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
billb

so why use cork?

this is the 21st century, not the 15th.

--
If you think the real estate bubble is real, watch the movie Glengarry Glen
Ross.
"Ric" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sounds like a great idea for making corking the bottles easier - but is
> there any data to support the notion that this somehow removes or
> reduces the trichloranisole contamination? Anything I've read or
> experienced suggests that a tainted cork is a tainted cork - and there
> ain't anything you can do about it.
>
> ???

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
William Frazier

Ray Calvert wrote "Back to your question of bottle shock. It is hard to
describe. You taste your wine when you bottle it and it tastes great. Then
a week later a friend comes over and you want to brag so you open a bottle
and it is just not as good as it was when you bottled. Then a couple of
months later you try another bottle and it is good again. Best description
I can give."

Ray that's the best description I've seen for Bottle Shock. I was doing
some research about fining...trying to get rid of a nasty little bitter
aftertaste in this years Baco/NY73 wine. I came across a good discussion
about bottle shock in "Modern Winemaking by Philip Jackisch". Check it out.
It has to do with air contact during the bottling step. With the small
volumes home winemakers usually deal with it's probably more pronounced than
with commecial wines where the winemakers have the ability to transfer wines
and bottle without air contact.

Interestingly though I was at the largest local commercial winemaker here in
the Kansas City area recently. They were bottling wine and I asked if their
equipment purged air from the bottles before filling. Nope.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert

One other question. Did you use Clorox as a sterilizing agent at any stage
while cleaning equipment. TCA is often associated with chorine. Even the
most minute (parts per billion) levels can cause it. A few years ago there
was lots of wine lost by commercial and amateurs when cork makers used
chlorine in one stage of cork making but supposedly they have stopped that.
It is possible for the wine maker to introduce this problem by using chorine
and it might not be coming from the corks at all.

Ray

"Marty Phee" > wrote in message
. net...
> What does it taste like?
>
> I have some Pinot Grigio I bottled on 11/20. Tried some tonight and it
> doesn't taste right. Kind of a musty taste as my wife says.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Marty Phee

Not knowingly. I used Straight A cleanser to clean the bottles and then
kmeta to sterilize. Both of which shouldn't have had any chorine.

I didn't clean the corks (except for a little sterilizing with kmeta) or
the corker. I did notice marks on the sides of some of the corks, which
I presume is from the brass iris. Not impressions, but residue from the
brass.

How should one clean a corker? I have the Italian floor model.

Bottle Shock Dee Randall Wine 7 13-02-2009 05:11 PM
shock mission impossible casio g shock mtg corestrev General Cooking 0 26-09-2008 10:28 AM
Movie called "Bottle Shock" Richard Neidich Wine 8 22-09-2008 06:02 PM
"Bottle shock" AxisOfBeagles Winemaking 3 12-06-2007 04:25 PM
Bottle shock? JM Winemaking 3 04-11-2004 03:27 PM