FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   dried/fresh fruit (elderberry) conversion (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/77271-dried-fresh-fruit-elderberry.html)

Droopy 23-12-2005 06:37 PM

dried/fresh fruit (elderberry) conversion

Does anyone know or know of the conversion rate for fresh to dried
fruit?

Like, how many pounds of grapes go into a pound of raisins?

I am looking spoecifically for elderberry (I have fresh, but a recipe
for dried), but other fruits would be usefull, like grapes and
cranberries.

Thanks

[email protected] 23-12-2005 11:28 PM

dried/fresh fruit (elderberry) conversion

My father-in-law just made some fresh elderberry wine this fall and
used 15 lbs for 5 gallons. I'm not sure how much sugar he added
though. I don't know if this will help you out, though.

raindog 24-12-2005 01:18 AM

dried/fresh fruit (elderberry) conversion

i would divide the weight of fresh elderberries by 4

Pavel314 05-01-2006 01:44 AM

dried/fresh fruit (elderberry) conversion

"Droopy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does anyone know or know of the conversion rate for fresh to dried
> fruit?
>
> Like, how many pounds of grapes go into a pound of raisins?
>
> I am looking spoecifically for elderberry (I have fresh, but a recipe
> for dried), but other fruits would be usefull, like grapes and
> cranberries.

You could weigh out a small portion of elderberries, like two ounces, then
put them in the oven to dry out. When dry, re-weigh the residue and get the
ratio of dry to fresh. If you do that, would you please post your results
for the group? I make a lot of elderberry and elderberry/grape wine but
always use fresh as we have several bushes on the property.

Paul