Peanut brew?

Old 02-12-2005, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Usenet poster

Default Peanut brew?

Here's something bizzare I heard today.

I was at my local homebrew store, and the woman there said that a man who
bought from there regularly filled the bottom half-inch of his gallon
fermenter with peanuts, 500g sugar, high alcohol gervin yeast and let it
ferment for a month. Apparently this makes neat alcohol which he adds spirit
concentrates to (vodka, scotch etc)

I'm not planning to make it in a hurry (not so good when you have a couple
of friends with nut allergies), but is that possible? How is it possible?
Are there any advantages to making it that way?

It roused my curiosity, I didn't think nuts had much, if any, sugar in them.

Paul

Old 02-12-2005, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Usenet poster

There are recipes out ther efor various nut wines...the most prevalent
of which is almond wine.

You can make wine out of lots of things without their own natural
sugar. on the extreme end is wine made with tree leaves. jack keller
has made wine with grass clippings.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Usenet poster

Overfiend wrote:
Here's something bizzare I heard today.

I was at my local homebrew store, and the woman there said that a man who
bought from there regularly filled the bottom half-inch of his gallon
fermenter with peanuts, 500g sugar, high alcohol gervin yeast and let it
ferment for a month. Apparently this makes neat alcohol which he adds spirit
concentrates to (vodka, scotch etc)

I'm not planning to make it in a hurry (not so good when you have a couple
of friends with nut allergies), but is that possible? How is it possible?
Are there any advantages to making it that way?

It roused my curiosity, I didn't think nuts had much, if any, sugar in them.

Paul

You said he added 500g of sugar...I'm guessing this is where the sugar
comes from. ;-)

If you meant that peanuts don't have much water, chances are he adds
some--I doubt that the yeast will ferment powdered sugar sitting on top
of peanuts...especially since yeast needs to be re-hydrated before it
will do anything.

The fermentation will extract and produce flavour, colour, and aroma
compounds from the peanuts as it ferments the sugar, which he then
fortifies...interesting...I'd try it ! :-D

Old 02-12-2005, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Usenet poster

You said he added 500g of sugar...I'm guessing this is where the sugar
comes from. ;-)

Well I assumed that this would be in addition to sugar gained from the
peanuts. It was kind of an assumption on my part that everything that goes
into the fermenter has to aid the fermentation process. Didn't occur to me
that the peanuts were for anything else than their sugar content.

The fermentation will extract and produce flavour, colour, and aroma
compounds from the peanuts as it ferments the sugar, which he then
fortifies...interesting...I'd try it ! :-D

Oh I see. So thats the point of it. Nothing aids the fermentation, the
peanuts are purely for flavour etc.
Interesting idea, I may have to meet this man.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Usenet poster

There are recipes out ther efor various nut wines...the most prevalent
of which is almond wine.

Ah yes, I've heard of this. Out of habit I pass over anything to do with
nuts, as I don't like em

You can make wine out of lots of things without their own natural
sugar. on the extreme end is wine made with tree leaves. jack keller
has made wine with grass clippings.

Given the jungle of a garden I have, that could be an interesting idea