Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Greg Turner

Default Foam when stiring

I am making a kit wine, Pinot Noir. It is in the primary fermenter, I
started it on Friday. I stired it on Sunday and it really became foamy
on top, but started to subside after a couple on minuites on stiring.
It did the same tonight but not as bad. Is the foam caused by the
release of CO2 gases?

GT
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Homebrew Exchange

I usually only stir my wine twice: before pitching the yeast, and then
after adding the finings. I've never stirred the wine on back-to-back
days...

Dave
www.homebrew-exchange.com

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio

Yes, it's CO2 and as the fermentation nears its end it will slow down
like you are seeing. I really don't stir an active ferment anymore
unless skins are involved but don't see any harm in a red being
stirred. I might be more careful with a fruity white, but that is
personal preference. If you want to preserve fruit you try to ferment
slowly and foam is a sign of a faster fermentation.

Joe

Foam zxcvbob Preserving 6 11-09-2009 06:39 PM
Foam in Jam. Help! The Cook Preserving 10 30-06-2009 03:31 PM
Foam top Wayne Harris Winemaking 3 29-03-2008 05:08 AM
Foam Davelcorp Tea 2 25-03-2006 03:26 PM
FOAM? Bob Winemaking 3 07-02-2005 05:00 PM