Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
treetoad

Default spoilage ?

I have a carboy of merlot and 1 of syrah that has a tiny ribbon of
yellow around the neck right at the top of the wine.The wine has pretty
much finished working,smells fine, etc. I'm not sure if it is sediment
thats being carried to the top with CO2 , or a bacteria starting to
bloom.I'm thinking I should rack and sulfite to 30 ppm, but would
appreciate another perspective.Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Tom S

"treetoad" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a carboy of merlot and 1 of syrah that has a tiny ribbon of
> yellow around the neck right at the top of the wine.The wine has pretty
> much finished working,smells fine, etc. I'm not sure if it is sediment
> thats being carried to the top with CO2 , or a bacteria starting to
> bloom.I'm thinking I should rack and sulfite to 30 ppm, but would
> appreciate another perspective.

If it's finished with fermentation and ML you should definitely get the free
SO2 up. How high depends on the pH of the wine, but I'd bet that 30 ppm
isn't enough. Merlot doesn't usually have pH as low as 3.30. My guess
would be 3.50 or higher.

Take the 2 decimals to the right of the pH and set the free SO2 to that
number in ppm. IOW, if the wine's pH is 3.50, set the free SO2 to 50 ppm.

Tom S

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Sallustio

Yellow sounds odd; if it looks white it could be mycoderma.

If it's forming a film get rid of it; I would put my thumb over the
air-hole in a wine thief and slowly insert it with the goal of
overflowing the carboy and washing the film away. Then I would sulfite
as Tom suggested. It can't be something that should be there as I see
it, try to get rid of it.

Here is an article on mycoderma, but again I have never seen anything
yellow grow on my wines.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/grap...an/van0199.htm

Joe

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It's probably residue from some foam that was there during
fermentation. I get rings all the time around the carboy neck,
especially right after secondary fermentation. If it smells good,
that's probably what it is. As TOm suggested, make sure your free SO2
levels are up if MLF is done. I don't think you have any thing to worry
about.

Bob

Food spoilage? Ken[_9_] General Cooking 66 13-06-2008 03:06 PM
Spoilage R R Wine 4 10-10-2003 04:03 PM
Spoilage Pickle Winemaking 11 02-10-2003 06:25 AM
Spoilage Ian Hoare Wine 0 01-10-2003 01:14 PM
Spoilage Rich R Wine 0 01-10-2003 04:07 AM