Ric

Default To adjust or not to adjust (an acidic issue)

What is your thinking on if and when to adust acid on a red wine
(Syrah, Cabernet Sauvugnon, Merlot, Cab Franc, etc). I have a Merlot in
secondary / MFL fermentation. pH at time of press is 3.66 (two days
into MLF) - from original pH at crush of 3.53.

TA unknow (some NaOH supply problems).

Your thoughts?

Tom S

"Ric" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> What is your thinking on if and when to adust acid on a red wine
> (Syrah, Cabernet Sauvugnon, Merlot, Cab Franc, etc). I have a Merlot in
> secondary / MFL fermentation. pH at time of press is 3.66 (two days
> into MLF) - from original pH at crush of 3.53.
>
> TA unknow (some NaOH supply problems).
>
> Your thoughts?

That isn't atypical pH for a Merlot. I might just leave it alone. It would
depend on how it tastes after ML is complete and the wine has been degassed.
If it seems a little flat I might adjust it slightly with tartaric and chill
out the excess bitartrate (or just let it drop out in barrel).

Tom S

Ric

Ditto that. After much noodling (and a few glasses of a fine 01 Rhone
blend) last night I came to the same conclusion - to let it be for now.
As of writing, I'm looking to rack tomorrow. Racked 23 gals of rather
fine looking Syrah today.

Thanks for your advice.

Ric wrote:
> What is your thinking on if and when to adust acid on a red wine
> (Syrah, Cabernet Sauvugnon, Merlot, Cab Franc, etc). I have a Merlot in
> secondary / MFL fermentation. pH at time of press is 3.66 (two days
> into MLF) - from original pH at crush of 3.53.
>
> TA unknow (some NaOH supply problems).
>
> Your thoughts?

Tom S is right in that the numbers seem fine, but it is not your own
taste that in the end counts? This is how I have solved many different
acid levels; Take some of your wine and elevate the wine with
additional acid if this is the way you are looking to go, then later
you have the options to blend out with this batch. It is sometime a
good idea to break out a batch into several smaller entity with which
you can play around with. You do this once and twice and you will have
rather quickly found a level of acid and tanning that satisfy you and
your taste to find enjoyable, and so for future winemaking you have a
much better footing on which to balance your wine making efforts with.

SG Brix