trav77

Default Hotter vs. Cooler Ferment

When fermenting a big red style, is it better to ferment at the upper
end of the recommended range, or the lower end? I've read a number of
times that hitting the upper end of the temperature range is key to
extracting tannins and colour, etc. However I've also read in a number
of sources that a long, cool-end-of-the-range fermentation is key to
producing a quality wine. What is the benefit of each strategy?

Travis

CJ

Generally the powerful wines are fermented at higher temperates for
shorter times (at close to 30 C, the initial fermentation should take
5-7 days).

Cooler fermentation preserves more of the aromatics and floral and
fruitiness.

Generally cooler fermentation is for whites or light reds (and can take
from 1 to 4 weeks).

Hotter fermentation is used more for big reds, and maybe a big
chardonnay.

Tom S

"CJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hotter fermentation is used more for big reds, and maybe a big
> chardonnay.

Reds yes; Chardonnay no. Chardonnay is best when fermented cool.

Tom S

Joe Sallustio

I can attest to that; I bought a pail of juice that had been stored at
<40 F for 6 months, it was a gewurz. I have done that juice fermenting
at room temp and have not been satisfied with it. This had fermented
slowly down to > 1.01 and the fruit remaining in it as unmistakable.
All of my whites will be cool fermented from now on. I may try the
block of ice trick.

Joe

Tom S wrote:
> "CJ" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hotter fermentation is used more for big reds, and maybe a big
> > chardonnay.

> Reds yes; Chardonnay no. Chardonnay is best when fermented cool.
>
> Tom S

Wino-Nouveau

I want to make a Riesling. Based on the above and the other
information I can find, it appears that it is best to do a "cold"
fermentation. If so, how cold is cold? I have two easy choices of
temps ... one is at room temp (air cond) at 75degrees F ... the other
is a storm shelter that is consistantly at 65 degrees F... I assume the
65 degree would be best. I also assume that I need to use a cold
fermentation tolerant yeast such as Lalvin EC-1118. I also assume that
fermentation will take much longer at this lower temp (one month?) Is
my understanding and thinking correct? Thanks

Tom S

"Wino-Nouveau" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I want to make a Riesling. Based on the above and the other
> information I can find, it appears that it is best to do a "cold"
> fermentation. If so, how cold is cold? I have two easy choices of
> temps ... one is at room temp (air cond) at 75degrees F ... the other
> is a storm shelter that is consistantly at 65 degrees F... I assume the
> 65 degree would be best. I also assume that I need to use a cold
> fermentation tolerant yeast such as Lalvin EC-1118. I also assume that
> fermentation will take much longer at this lower temp (one month?) Is
> my understanding and thinking correct?

EC1118 is a very vigorous fermenter, so I'd suggest you use a slower strain
if you want your fermentation to have any chance of lasting a month at 65°F.
Epernay II would be a good choice for that, but be sure to use nutrient with
it and don't try to ferment high Brix juice to dryness because it's going to
poop out at ~13% alcohol. That's not necessarily bad if you wish to leave
residual sugar in the wine, and Epernay is easy to stop by chilling to
~40°F. Of course then you'd need to settle and rack from the lees and then
either sterile filter or stabilize with sorbate or benzoate.

If you wish to run a long, cool fermentation with EC1118 you need to get
down to ~50°F. At 65°F it'll finish to dryness within a few days.

Tom S

pp

Wino-Nouveau wrote:
> I want to make a Riesling. Based on the above and the other
> information I can find, it appears that it is best to do a "cold"
> fermentation. If so, how cold is cold? I have two easy choices of
> temps ... one is at room temp (air cond) at 75degrees F ... the other
> is a storm shelter that is consistantly at 65 degrees F... I assume the
> 65 degree would be best. I also assume that I need to use a cold
> fermentation tolerant yeast such as Lalvin EC-1118. I also assume that
> fermentation will take much longer at this lower temp (one month?) Is
> my understanding and thinking correct? Thanks

65 is still too warm, you should aim to get it to at least 55 if
possible, Riesling is a late grape, so you might be able to ferment it
outside as the temps will be low enough, depending where you live of
course.

Most white yeasts won't have problems fermenting above 50F if you start
with a strong culture. Wyeast has some liquid yeasts that worked really
well for me in the past - Rudisheimer and Steinberg come to mind. But
EC1118 is a good general choice.

Pp

Wino-Nouveau

Thanks Tom and Pp .... that really helps .... I love German whites!
(actually I really like all wines!!!) they are my favorite but this is
my first attemp at making them myself. I read a lot in the past few
months and it gets a bit confusing and overwhelming at times. Did I
also read that I should minimize fermentation in primary (without an
airlock) for these German whites? I know it needs some oxygen for the
yeast to multiply but how soon should I put the airlock on ( I usually
trasfer to secondary at about s.g. 1.030)? Thanks again for you help
..... I still have a LOT to learn. (But everything I've made so far
seems to be working out just fine ... thanks to all of you folk).

Tom S

"Wino-Nouveau" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks Tom and Pp .... that really helps .... I love German whites!
> (actually I really like all wines!!!) they are my favorite but this is
> my first attemp at making them myself. I read a lot in the past few
> months and it gets a bit confusing and overwhelming at times. Did I
> also read that I should minimize fermentation in primary (without an
> airlock) for these German whites? I know it needs some oxygen for the
> yeast to multiply but how soon should I put the airlock on ( I usually
> transfer to secondary at about s.g. 1.030)?

That's ~4° Brix, which is OK for a vigorous fermentation, but I'd
splash-rack into a carboy a little sooner for a slow strain or a colder
fermentation. There needs to be sufficient CO2 gassing to effectively purge
the air from the fermenter so you don't have spoilage occurring
concurrently.

Tom S