Vinometer - or what to use to measure alcohol level

Old 23-08-2005, 03:09 PM
DAve Allison
Usenet poster

Default Vinometer - or what to use to measure alcohol level

Hi,
I have read most of this forum, and have learned a LOT. I am 4 days away
from bottling my first Vintage Wine Kit (Shiraz). I sneaked a taste, and
wow, it's great.
I am trying to use a Vinometer to figure out alcohol levels, but can't
seem to understand how to use it.
I put funnel end up, put a little wine into it. When it reaches the
bottom and a drop falls out, I turn the vinometer upside down and place
on a flat surface. Suppose to show a "thermometer type" red indicate on
the alcohol level. For a store bought that claims 13%, I'm reading 5%.
But if I wait long enough, the red goes all the way down and onto the
counter.
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? any web URLs that shows this
better, I looked with Google and didn't find one.

thanks. DAve
Old 24-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Fishhead
Usenet poster

That is how I use mine... and I had no problems.

Did you read the directions that came with it?

Old 24-08-2005, 12:54 AM
DAve Allison
Usenet poster

Well, that's good to see you use it the same way. thanks.
I bought this online and for the cheap price, I got no instructions,
well, except in italian, so my neighbor had to read it to me. I guess I
got it right. thanks.
DAve

Old 24-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Fishhead
Usenet poster

DAve Allison wrote:

Hi,
I have read most of this forum, and have learned a LOT. I am 4 days
away from bottling my first Vintage Wine Kit (Shiraz). I sneaked a
taste, and wow, it's great.
I am trying to use a Vinometer to figure out alcohol levels, but
can't seem to understand how to use it.
I put funnel end up, put a little wine into it. When it reaches the
bottom and a drop falls out, I turn the vinometer upside down and
place on a flat surface. Suppose to show a "thermometer type" red
indicate on the alcohol level. For a store bought that claims 13%,
I'm reading 5%.
But if I wait long enough, the red goes all the way down and onto the
counter.
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? any web URLs that shows this
better, I looked with Google and didn't find one.

thanks. DAve

I just looked at my instructions.
You are supposed to fill the cup all the way up
Let the wine run through the meter for a few drops, there should be NO
air in the thin part.
Then flip over and watch it until it slows... If I remmeber mine kept
going slow until it was empty.

Old 24-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Rob
Usenet poster

I had a similar experience with mine - always read off by 2% of what I
expected, based on the sugar I started with. So I gave up on the
vinometer, and if I've made a dry wine, I just figure from my starting
Brix level what the alcohol level should be. Even if it's not bone
dry, those small graduations on the vinometer will give me more error
than my hydrometer.

But the way you're describing, that's the way I used mine.

Rob

Old 24-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Joe Sallustio
Usenet poster

I don't have any trouble with mine but I had a cheap one that was
terrible. Calibrate it against store bought wine. Your kit is higher
than 5% if it tastes right.

I fill mine to 3/4 full,
flip it over and let 6 drops drain.
I read the bottom of the meniscus.

I clean it out with grain alcohol after each use, that is important. I
also make sure it's completely dry before reusing.

Joe

Old 26-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Mike
Usenet poster

Why not just use a hydrometer and do a start and end reading? This vinometer
thing (not that I've ever seen one) seems to be a quick route to inaccuracy.

Mike
"DAve Allison" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
I have read most of this forum, and have learned a LOT. I am 4 days away
from bottling my first Vintage Wine Kit (Shiraz). I sneaked a taste, and
wow, it's great.
I am trying to use a Vinometer to figure out alcohol levels, but can't
seem to understand how to use it.
I put funnel end up, put a little wine into it. When it reaches the
bottom and a drop falls out, I turn the vinometer upside down and place
on a flat surface. Suppose to show a "thermometer type" red indicate on
the alcohol level. For a store bought that claims 13%, I'm reading 5%.
But if I wait long enough, the red goes all the way down and onto the
counter.
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? any web URLs that shows this
better, I looked with Google and didn't find one.

thanks. DAve

recipes with buttermilk? enigma General Cooking 17 12-08-2005 12:58 AM
Does any one know how many cups to an ounce? [email protected] General Cooking 85 28-02-2005 06:09 PM
Cooking with wine ... RogerD Winemaking 0 30-09-2004 12:37 AM
ez caps Gregor Winemaking 14 13-07-2004 05:59 PM
Removing alcohol Ruiseart agus Ceit Wine 7 18-05-2004 11:11 PM