Rick

Default so2 target

I have 2- 5 gallon batches of cherry wine I started 1 1/2 years ago which
have been bulk aging for some time now and I'm about to bottle but just
wanted to double check on the required so2 levels.
From what I understand 35 ppm is the desirable target, if not then what is
recommended?

Tart red cherry, ph = 3.30 titret read 27ppm and Fermsoft sulphite
calculator says to add .46 grams pot meta to hit 35 ppm.

Tart black cherry, ph= 3.28 titret read 21 ppm same sulphite calculator says
to add . 26 grams pot meta to hit 35 ppm.

I plan to add the pot meta by transferring so it mixes in well along purging
with co2 beforehand then let sit 2-3 days before bottling and leaving 1/4"
to 1/2" headspace between the liquid and cork.

Does all this sound in line?

Rick

Joe Sallustio

I show pH 3.3 as 26 PPM for 0.8 molecular. 0.2 g/Gallon (US) = ~ 30
PPM as I recall so your numbers for the red seem ok for 5 gallons.

I don't understand the tart one, you need to go up 14 PPM rather than 8
but are adding less. (I don't consider +/- 0.02 pH as significantly
different.)

I don't think 35 PPM is out of line either. Just don't get too carried
away, some people can smell and taste sulfites in really small amounts
(I can't, but my brother can.)

1/4" headspace is kind of short if the wine ever gets warm. The cork
may pop.

Joe

Rick

Yep I messed up and criss crossed the needed pot meta, it should have read:

Tart red cherry, ph = 3.30 titret read 27ppm and Fermsoft sulphite
calculator says to add .26 grams pot meta to hit 35 ppm.

Tart black cherry, ph= 3.28 titret read 21 ppm same sulphite calculator says
to add . 46 grams pot meta to hit 35 ppm.

Ok i'll leave about 1/2" headspace when corking and I"m one of those people
that can taste sulfites in smaller amounts so I'll shoot for 30ppm instead
of 35.

Thanks,
Rick

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I show pH 3.3 as 26 PPM for 0.8 molecular. 0.2 g/Gallon (US) = ~ 30
> PPM as I recall so your numbers for the red seem ok for 5 gallons.
>
> I don't understand the tart one, you need to go up 14 PPM rather than 8
> but are adding less. (I don't consider +/- 0.02 pH as significantly
> different.)
>
> I don't think 35 PPM is out of line either. Just don't get too carried
> away, some people can smell and taste sulfites in really small amounts
> (I can't, but my brother can.)
>
> 1/4" headspace is kind of short if the wine ever gets warm. The cork
> may pop.
>
> Joe

Ray Calvert

These are some questions - NOT criticism.

There are two things that SO2 does for you. It protects from oxidation and
it protects from infection. But sherry is usually fortified or fermented to
a high alcohol level (16 to 19%) so infection is unlikely. As far as
oxidation goes, sherry is an oxidized wine so that would not be a problem.

So what is SO2 doing for you in sherry and is it necessary at the same
levels as regular wine?

Ray