Mike

Default Blueberry freezing

I have some real nice fresh blueberries that I plan to use in the next
couple days. Should I freeze them first?

Stephen SG

Hi Mike,

It's not worth the trouble to freeze the fresh blueberries ( Vaccinium
corymbosum )
the approximate storage life is 10-18 days.

Stephen SG
"Mike" > wrote in message
|I have some real nice fresh blueberries that I plan to use in the next
| couple days. Should I freeze them first?

Ray Calvert

Many people believe that freezing will break down the cell walls in the
fruit and you will get better yield. I am not positive that this is really
true if you ferment on the pulp but it would not hurt.

Ray

"Mike" > wrote in message
>I have some real nice fresh blueberries that I plan to use in the next
>couple days. Should I freeze them first?

Stephen SG

You are probably right about freezing process, however using a liquidizer
would have a
greater effect of breaking down the flesh.

Stephen SG
"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
t...
| Many people believe that freezing will break down the cell walls in the
| fruit and you will get better yield. I am not positive that this is
really
| true if you ferment on the pulp but it would not hurt.
|
| Ray
|
| "Mike" > wrote in message
| >I have some real nice fresh blueberries that I plan to use in the next
| >couple days. Should I freeze them first?

What is a liquidizer?
Tom

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> You are probably right about freezing process, however using a liquidizer
> would have a
> greater effect of breaking down the flesh.
>
> Stephen SG
> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> t...
> | Many people believe that freezing will break down the cell walls in the
> | fruit and you will get better yield. I am not positive that this is
> really
> | true if you ferment on the pulp but it would not hurt.
> |
> | Ray
> |
> | "Mike" > wrote in message
> | >I have some real nice fresh blueberries that I plan to use in the next
> | >couple days. Should I freeze them first?

Ray Calvert

I avoid using a blender with any fruit that has seeds that I do not remove.
Blending will break down the seeds and that is usually not good.
Blueberries do not have much in the way of seeds but the do have them. Not
sure of their effect on the wine ...

Ray

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> You are probably right about freezing process, however using a liquidizer
> would have a
> greater effect of breaking down the flesh.
>
> Stephen SG
> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> t...
> | Many people believe that freezing will break down the cell walls in the
> | fruit and you will get better yield. I am not positive that this is
> really
> | true if you ferment on the pulp but it would not hurt.
> |
> | Ray
> |
> | "Mike" > wrote in message
> | >I have some real nice fresh blueberries that I plan to use in the next
> | >couple days. Should I freeze them first?

arne thormodsen

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
>I avoid using a blender with any fruit that has seeds that I do not
>remove. Blending will break down the seeds and that is usually not
>good. Blueberries do not have much in the way of seeds but the do
>have them. Not sure of their effect on the wine ...
>
> Ray

I think blenders can also work up the pectin in some fruit and cause
jelling. I've never thought about it with wine, but my wife makes
"fruit smoothies" and sometimes they jell solid a few hours after
blending.

--arne

Blueberry pie Gary General Cooking 15 29-07-2013 10:02 PM
Blueberry pie notbob[_5_] General Cooking 5 09-01-2011 08:13 PM
blueberry pie Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 4 23-06-2006 02:08 AM
Blueberry Pie Virginia Tadrzynski Baking 1 19-06-2006 03:45 AM
Blueberry Jam is Blueberry soup!!! Brian Genisio Preserving 9 05-07-2004 04:23 PM