What if i use Baker's yeast instead of Wine yeast ?

Old 26-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Alireza
Usenet poster

Default What if i use Baker's yeast instead of Wine yeast ?

What if i use Baker's yeast instead of Wine yeast ?
i know that you say "buy wine yeast, it's cheap"; but in my country
don't sale wine equipments , even air lock and other things.
i can only find bread yeast.
will be very bad ? or the result will be same as wine yeast?

Old 26-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Seismo Malm
Usenet poster

In article .com,
Alireza wrote:
What if i use Baker's yeast instead of Wine yeast ?
i know that you say "buy wine yeast, it's cheap"; but in my country
don't sale wine equipments , even air lock and other things.
i can only find bread yeast.
will be very bad ? or the result will be same as wine yeast?

I have made wine with bread yeast with drinkable (but not good) results.
Different bread yeast differ very much with alcohol tolerance (our local
fresh bread yeast is used/was used to produce mash for distilling and
yeast for baking, yeast intended only for baking don't need any alcohol
tolerance), taste and flocculation (how fast it will settle down).

You can keep yeast alive for a long time so you don't need to purchase it
very often. There is quite lot of information about storing brewers yeast
in the brewery (http://www.brewery.org/brewery/Library.html).

I order my yeast routinely from abroad. I live in Finland, we have
homebrew shops but selection is poor. If you live in europe brouwland
(http://www.brouwland.com/) is nice place to shop.

Remember, wine was made with wild yeast just a few centuries ago.

seismo malm
Old 26-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Mike MTM
Usenet poster

Alireza, bread yeast will work, but the wine will probably stay
cloudy and taste very "yeasty'. It's certainly better than running the
risk of spoilage from wild fungi, but not as fine a product as with a
wine yeast.

Mike

Old 26-07-2005, 06:55 PM
arne thormodsen
Usenet poster

"Alireza" wrote in message
oups.com...
What if i use Baker's yeast instead of Wine yeast ?
i know that you say "buy wine yeast, it's cheap"; but in my country
don't sale wine equipments , even air lock and other things.
i can only find bread yeast.
will be very bad ? or the result will be same as wine yeast?

I brewed beer once with baker's yeast as an experiment. It came out
OK, but with a lot of diacetyl (buttery) character.

--arne

Old 26-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Ray Calvert
Usenet poster

As stated above bread yeast will clear poorly and will stick with low
alcohol tolerance. It will also leave you wine smelling and tasting of
yeast. Yes I have used it. Order some wine yeast from a good supplier and
keep it in the refrigerator. I have kept packets for 2 to 3 years and it
still worked great.

Ray

oups.com...

Old 27-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Brian Lundeen
Usenet poster

"Alireza" wrote in message
oups.com...
What if i use Baker's yeast instead of Wine yeast ?
i know that you say "buy wine yeast, it's cheap"; but in my country
don't sale wine equipments , even air lock and other things.
i can only find bread yeast.
will be very bad ? or the result will be same as wine yeast?

I suspect alcohol is illegal where you live, so consider the fact that bread
yeast will produce a hideous beverage as added incentive not to go there.

Brian

Old 27-07-2005, 01:09 PM
jeff
Usenet poster

"Alireza" wrote in message
oups.com...
What if i use Baker's yeast instead of Wine yeast ?
i know that you say "buy wine yeast, it's cheap"; but in my country
don't sale wine equipments , even air lock and other things.
i can only find bread yeast.
will be very bad ? or the result will be same as wine yeast?

If I had to choose between bread yeast and spontaneous fermentation with
wild yeast, I'd choose the wild.

Wild yeast has its own challenges and pitfalls, but between the two, you'll
be more likely to end up with something that still tastes like wine.

after all, before winemakers started coming up with cultured yeast, EVERYONE
who made wine for thousands of years before that, let it ferment on wild
yeast.

Can't be all bad, right?

In the absence of cultured yeast your wine will still make itself. I think
it will still taste better than with bread yeast.

Jeff

Old 30-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Joe Sallustio
Usenet poster

I would do as Jeff says, the grapes have yeast on them already, try the
wild first.

Joe

Old 04-08-2005, 08:23 AM
M.H.
Usenet poster

Alireza wrote:

What if i use Baker's yeast instead of Wine yeast ?
i know that you say "buy wine yeast, it's cheap"; but in my country
don't sale wine equipments , even air lock and other things.
i can only find bread yeast.
will be very bad ? or the result will be same as wine yeast?

Not a great picture, but the wine is clear. Made with Flieschmans yeast
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nt234/wine.jpg
Watermelon on the left, if my SG readings were correct it has an alcohol
level of 12.2%
Strawberry on the right, I forgot to keep the SG readings

http://www.khaaan.com/