Dar V

Default heartburn from wine

Hello,
I am getting together with a bunch of friends on the 12th - one is
coming from New York and we have not seen each other in awhile. Anyway, I'm
bringing some of my homemade wine, so I asked her what she might like to
try...? Just heard back, for the past two years, she has found that she gets
kind-of like a heartburn from any type of wine (red or white), so she
doesn't drink much wine anymore. Her allergist thinks its a type of allergy
sensitivity.... Has anyone ever heard of this? Since she probably has tried
grape wines, I'm wondering if my fruit and veggie wines will be
different...? Any ideas. Thanks.
Darlene

William Frazier

You could try and find out if she has some Nexium or Prilosec. Two or three
days of either of these medications relieve any hearburn I have and wine
bothers me some times if I'm not taking the drugs. In my case either seem
superior to the other OTC acid blockers available. No way to tell if non
grape wines will bother her without trying them. My guess is it's the
alcohol.

BTW Darlene, I tried to email you to ask if you make blackberry wine.
Bounced. My question, what is the acid content of your blackberry wine if
you make it.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am getting together with a bunch of friends on the 12th - one is
> coming from New York and we have not seen each other in awhile. Anyway,
> I'm bringing some of my homemade wine, so I asked her what she might like
> to try...? Just heard back, for the past two years, she has found that she
> gets kind-of like a heartburn from any type of wine (red or white), so she
> doesn't drink much wine anymore. Her allergist thinks its a type of
> allergy sensitivity.... Has anyone ever heard of this? Since she probably
> has tried grape wines, I'm wondering if my fruit and veggie wines will be
> different...? Any ideas. Thanks.
> Darlene

Dar V

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the info, I will pass it on. She has asthma and has had
problems with allergies before, although I don't know what to. She's noticed
that as she has gotten older that this problem with wine and heartburn has
occurred, but hasn't known why. Anyway, I'll have to tease her about this
"old" stuff - she's the youngest one of our merry group...lol.
I talked with my computer-savvy hubby - he's set up my email with this
newsgroup with a fake email to avoid spammers; that's why your email
bounced. Sorry. You can contact me at .
Yes, I have made blackberry wine, but I've never gotten into the habit
of doing acid tests, so I can't help you out there. My recipe came from
Terry Garey's home winemaking book. If you'd like the recipe, I'll send it
to you. However, Jack has a ton of Blackberry recipes on his site I believe.
Darlene ;o)

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> You could try and find out if she has some Nexium or Prilosec. Two or
> three days of either of these medications relieve any hearburn I have and
> wine bothers me some times if I'm not taking the drugs. In my case either
> seem superior to the other OTC acid blockers available. No way to tell if
> non grape wines will bother her without trying them. My guess is it's the
> alcohol.
>
> BTW Darlene, I tried to email you to ask if you make blackberry wine.
> Bounced. My question, what is the acid content of your blackberry wine if
> you make it.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I am getting together with a bunch of friends on the 12th - one is
>> coming from New York and we have not seen each other in awhile. Anyway,
>> I'm bringing some of my homemade wine, so I asked her what she might like
>> to try...? Just heard back, for the past two years, she has found that
>> she gets kind-of like a heartburn from any type of wine (red or white),
>> so she doesn't drink much wine anymore. Her allergist thinks its a type
>> of allergy sensitivity.... Has anyone ever heard of this? Since she
>> probably has tried grape wines, I'm wondering if my fruit and veggie
>> wines will be different...? Any ideas. Thanks.
>> Darlene

Dar,

IMHO it's quite possible that your friend is on to something with the
allergy suspicion. For much of my life I've had similar sensitivity to
several foods and always described it as heartburn. But I really don't
think that's accurate and am pretty sure there is no acid reflux
involved. When it got really bad about 15 years ago, my doctor tried
treating it with the typical prescription drugs for treating acid
reflux and it didn't really help at all (just caused side-effects).
Then one day I had a bit of hay fever and took an antihistamine (active
ingredient chlorephineramine maleate) and lo and behold the "heartburn"
disappeared. Only downside was that I was hooked on the antihistamines
for the next 2-3 years, also not ideal. Eventually I cleaned up my
diet drastically (vegan, no alcohol/caffeine, low sugar intake, never
combining starchy carbs and high protein in the same meal) and after 4
days of that I was fine with no drugs. That only lasted about 4
months, but it seemed to give my system enough of a break that keeping
a so-so diet since then has helped me avoid any further serious
discomfort. Considering the tons of junk food and processed crap I
ingested during the first half of my life, I can't really fault my body
for eventually fighting back!

hth,

Richard

Dar V wrote:
> Hello,
> I am getting together with a bunch of friends on the 12th - one is
> coming from New York and we have not seen each other in awhile. Anyway, I'm
> bringing some of my homemade wine, so I asked her what she might like to
> try...? Just heard back, for the past two years, she has found that she gets
> kind-of like a heartburn from any type of wine (red or white), so she
> doesn't drink much wine anymore. Her allergist thinks its a type of allergy
> sensitivity.... Has anyone ever heard of this? Since she probably has tried
> grape wines, I'm wondering if my fruit and veggie wines will be
> different...? Any ideas. Thanks.
> Darlene

William Frazier

Darlene - I'm a retired pharmacist and I also speak from experience. Asthma
can be triggered by reflux at night while a person sleeps. You might
mention that to your friend. An antacid before bed just might help.

I made the blackberry wine from a concentrate that I diluted before
fermentation. So, I was shooting in the dark about how much to dilute and
while the finished wine has tons of blackberry aroma and flavor it's too
acid to enjoy. I was just trying to find out what the usual acid content
was in blackberry wine made from blackberries. Lots of recipes out there.
Little data that I can find about the test results of those wines.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi Bill,
> Thanks for the info, I will pass it on. She has asthma and has had
> problems with allergies before, although I don't know what to. She's
> noticed that as she has gotten older that this problem with wine and
> heartburn has occurred, but hasn't known why. Anyway, I'll have to tease
> her about this "old" stuff - she's the youngest one of our merry
> group...lol.
> I talked with my computer-savvy hubby - he's set up my email with this
> newsgroup with a fake email to avoid spammers; that's why your email
> bounced. Sorry. You can contact me at .
> Yes, I have made blackberry wine, but I've never gotten into the habit
> of doing acid tests, so I can't help you out there. My recipe came from
> Terry Garey's home winemaking book. If you'd like the recipe, I'll send it
> to you. However, Jack has a ton of Blackberry recipes on his site I
> believe.
> Darlene ;o)
>
> "William Frazier" > wrote in message
>> You could try and find out if she has some Nexium or Prilosec. Two or
>> three days of either of these medications relieve any hearburn I have and
>> wine bothers me some times if I'm not taking the drugs. In my case
>> either seem superior to the other OTC acid blockers available. No way to
>> tell if non grape wines will bother her without trying them. My guess is
>> it's the alcohol.
>>
>> BTW Darlene, I tried to email you to ask if you make blackberry wine.
>> Bounced. My question, what is the acid content of your blackberry wine
>> if you make it.
>>
>> Bill Frazier
>> Olathe, Kansas USA
>>
>> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> I am getting together with a bunch of friends on the 12th - one is
>>> coming from New York and we have not seen each other in awhile. Anyway,
>>> I'm bringing some of my homemade wine, so I asked her what she might
>>> like to try...? Just heard back, for the past two years, she has found
>>> that she gets kind-of like a heartburn from any type of wine (red or
>>> white), so she doesn't drink much wine anymore. Her allergist thinks its
>>> a type of allergy sensitivity.... Has anyone ever heard of this? Since
>>> she probably has tried grape wines, I'm wondering if my fruit and veggie
>>> wines will be different...? Any ideas. Thanks.
>>> Darlene

Dar V

Bill,
I think I'll have lots of info for my friend. Thanks.
I made my blackberry out of actual berries, not concentrate. This is a
shot in the dark, but I make rhubarb wine also. Rhubarb wine has an excess
of oxalic acid, so Jack suggests using precipitated chalk (calcium
carbonate) to remove the excess acid prior to fermentation. I've done this a
number of times with very good results. I am not a chemist, so the
precipitated chalk (calcium carbonate) may only remove oxalic acid, not
other types of acid from fruit/and it may not work after fermentation. I
don't know, maybe it would be worth a try if the wine is undrinkable (as an
experiment). You have my permission to laugh out loud at my lack of
chemistry knowledge...really.