Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Oak chips and Blackberry wine

On Thursday, April 27, 2000 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, steve_small wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am contemplating making a raspberry wine soon. I have 5-6 lbs
> of raspberries in the freezer. I have got very mixed messages
> regarding
> using this fruit for wine. Terry Garey puts it forward as her
> first recipe and definitely seems enamoured of it. Stanely
> Anderson
> suggests that it makes a nice topping for ice cream (I do not
> consider this a rousing endorsement). Most authors of recipes for
> raspberry wine suggest it can be overpowering and the taste of
> the fermented berry is very different than the fruit. I made a
> raspberry/cherry wine (20%/80%) in '98 and although pleasant the
> two flavours are still fighting it out over who rules. Your
> notes also
> suggest that some care needs to be taken to produce something
> really enjoyable.
>
> So I guess my question is - what do you think of raspberry wine,
> what ratio of fruit/gallon would you recommend? I would use
> jack's
> recipe as a guide - and finally has anyone made "framboise"
> and/or have a recipe for this. I seem to recall finding a french
> fruit wine
> website with a recipe for it, but I think I've lost the
> connection.
>
> Steve

Steve
I have made several batches of Raspberry - typically 3 gal batch from 96OZ can of Vintners harvest prior to final rack I add about (4oz) light toast American Oak for about 1 week I think it adds nice character and has become one of my families favorites I like best when wait at least 5-6 months from bottling
but you don't have too wait that long

MLF in a (mostly) blackberry wine [email protected] Winemaking 0 15-05-2006 02:28 PM
Blackberry wine William Frazier Winemaking 23 07-03-2005 11:02 PM
Blackberry wine William Frazier Winemaking 0 01-03-2005 02:10 AM
Blackberry wine Tepe Winemaking 9 13-08-2004 10:25 PM
Blackberry Wine BooBoo Winemaking 1 11-01-2004 12:10 AM