MOhar871

Default mold on corks???

anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold growing on the
outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring and there are several
with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we opened some of them and they
are fine inside
Ray Calvert

"MOhar871" > wrote in message
> anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold growing on
> the
> outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring and there are
> several
> with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we opened some of them and
> they
> are fine inside

As long as it stays on the outside you are probably OK. Just clean it off
before opening.

The question is, why is it there? It is not normal. Did you spill
something on the bottles after bottling are was something on the corks
before bottling, in which case it may have done something to the wine.

I would not be overly concerned. It may effect the taste but it will not
make you sick. There are no known pathogens that live in wine. But you
might consider not aging the bottles effected over long. Just go ahead and
drink them up if they do not taste bad.

Ray

Ray Calvert

"MOhar871" > wrote in message
> anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold growing on
> the
> outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring and there are
> several
> with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we opened some of them and
> they
> are fine inside

As long as it stays on the outside you are probably OK. Just clean it off
before opening.

The question is, why is it there? It is not normal. Did you spill
something on the bottles after bottling are was something on the corks
before bottling, in which case it may have done something to the wine.

I would not be overly concerned. It may effect the taste but it will not
make you sick. There are no known pathogens that live in wine. But you
might consider not aging the bottles effected over long. Just go ahead and
drink them up if they do not taste bad.

Ray

Robin Somes

In message >, MOhar871
> writes
>anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold
>growing on the outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring
>and there are several with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we
>opened some of them and they are fine inside

I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
at all.

cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
Robin Somes

In message >, MOhar871
> writes
>anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold
>growing on the outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring
>and there are several with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we
>opened some of them and they are fine inside

I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
at all.

cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
www.amazonian-fish.co.uk www.pisces-conservation.com
www.irchouse.demon.co.uk www.blackwell-science.com/southwood
Trust me, I'm a webmaster...
Bob

"Robin Somes" > wrote in message
> In message >, MOhar871
> > writes
> >anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold
> >growing on the outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring
> >and there are several with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we
> >opened some of them and they are fine inside

> I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
> a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
> But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
> stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
> upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
> little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
> wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
> at all.
>
> cheers,
> robin

I have been told repeatedly that you should always let your fresh-corked
bottles stand up for one day to allow pressure to equalize somewhat. I have
not had any leakers since doing that also, and I've never had mold either.

> --
> www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
> www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
> www.amazonian-fish.co.uk www.pisces-conservation.com
> www.irchouse.demon.co.uk www.blackwell-science.com/southwood
> Trust me, I'm a webmaster...

Bob

"Robin Somes" > wrote in message
> In message >, MOhar871
> > writes
> >anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold
> >growing on the outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring
> >and there are several with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we
> >opened some of them and they are fine inside

> I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
> a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
> But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
> stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
> upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
> little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
> wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
> at all.
>
> cheers,
> robin

I have been told repeatedly that you should always let your fresh-corked
bottles stand up for one day to allow pressure to equalize somewhat. I have
not had any leakers since doing that also, and I've never had mold either.

> --
> www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
> www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
> www.amazonian-fish.co.uk www.pisces-conservation.com
> www.irchouse.demon.co.uk www.blackwell-science.com/southwood
> Trust me, I'm a webmaster...

MOhar871

i let mine stand for at least 4 or 5 days before putting them on their
sides...still got the mold

pinky

In 30 years of making and bottling wine the only times I have had mould is
when I have been careless during filling and corking -- i.e there was some
spillage around the top neck of the bottle which I didn't clean..
However it is rare that your bottled wine would be affected -- especially if
you clean and sanitise the outer cork/bottle top --- gently

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"MOhar871" > wrote in message
>i let mine stand for at least 4 or 5 days before putting them on their
> sides...still got the mold

pinky

"MOhar871" > wrote in message
>i let mine stand for at least 4 or 5 days before putting them on their
> sides...still got the mold

Rob

> I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
> a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
> But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
> stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
> upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
> little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
> wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
> at all.
>
> cheers,
> robin

I've had a couple that have shown it on the outside of the cork, and I
agree that it might have a lot to do with a slightly damp atmosphere
(I live near Portland, where the locals are slowly evolving gills :-)
). And since I stored them vertically for a day and didn't see any
leakage, I think that gives even more suggestion that it has to do
with the dampness.

I've seen nothing wrong with the taste from it, but I'm now using
shrink-on capsules to cover the cork, putting them on the day after
corking. I'm hoping this (or possibly a wax capsule) will keep it
from happening.

Rob
Bob

"MOhar871" > wrote in message
> i let mine stand for at least 4 or 5 days before putting them on their
> sides...still got the mold

I've been told ONE day is all you need. Otherwise, the cork dries and
shrinks, and the wine sneaks out while your back is turned....

Bob

"MOhar871" > wrote in message
> i let mine stand for at least 4 or 5 days before putting them on their
> sides...still got the mold

I've been told ONE day is all you need. Otherwise, the cork dries and
shrinks, and the wine sneaks out while your back is turned....

Denis Marier

This problem is increasing day after day. High priced French wine producers
are now using aluminum screw caps for export. The harvesting of cork from
the same oak trees for hundred of years is not giving the quality of corks
we had before. I have started to look for screw cap bottles and will
gradually phase out the bottles using corks.
I may be able to get away with composite corks or plastic?

"Rob" > wrote in message
m...

> > I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
> > a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
> > But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
> > stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
> > upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
> > little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
> > wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
> > at all.
> >
> > cheers,
> > robin

> I've had a couple that have shown it on the outside of the cork, and I
> agree that it might have a lot to do with a slightly damp atmosphere
> (I live near Portland, where the locals are slowly evolving gills :-)
> ). And since I stored them vertically for a day and didn't see any
> leakage, I think that gives even more suggestion that it has to do
> with the dampness.
>
> I've seen nothing wrong with the taste from it, but I'm now using
> shrink-on capsules to cover the cork, putting them on the day after
> corking. I'm hoping this (or possibly a wax capsule) will keep it
> from happening.
>
> Rob

Denis Marier

This problem is increasing day after day. High priced French wine producers
are now using aluminum screw caps for export. The harvesting of cork from
the same oak trees for hundred of years is not giving the quality of corks
we had before. I have started to look for screw cap bottles and will
gradually phase out the bottles using corks.
I may be able to get away with composite corks or plastic?

"Rob" > wrote in message
m...

> > I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
> > a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
> > But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
> > stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
> > upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
> > little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
> > wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
> > at all.
> >
> > cheers,
> > robin

> I've had a couple that have shown it on the outside of the cork, and I
> agree that it might have a lot to do with a slightly damp atmosphere
> (I live near Portland, where the locals are slowly evolving gills :-)
> ). And since I stored them vertically for a day and didn't see any
> leakage, I think that gives even more suggestion that it has to do
> with the dampness.
>
> I've seen nothing wrong with the taste from it, but I'm now using
> shrink-on capsules to cover the cork, putting them on the day after
> corking. I'm hoping this (or possibly a wax capsule) will keep it
> from happening.
>
> Rob

Denis Marier

This problem is increasing day after day. High priced French wine producers
are now using aluminum screw caps for export. The harvesting of cork from
the same oak trees for hundred of years is not giving the quality of corks
we had before. I have started to look for screw cap bottles and will
gradually phase out the bottles using corks.
I may be able to get away with composite corks or plastic?

"Rob" > wrote in message
m...

> > I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
> > a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
> > But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
> > stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
> > upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
> > little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
> > wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
> > at all.
> >
> > cheers,
> > robin

> I've had a couple that have shown it on the outside of the cork, and I
> agree that it might have a lot to do with a slightly damp atmosphere
> (I live near Portland, where the locals are slowly evolving gills :-)
> ). And since I stored them vertically for a day and didn't see any
> leakage, I think that gives even more suggestion that it has to do
> with the dampness.
>
> I've seen nothing wrong with the taste from it, but I'm now using
> shrink-on capsules to cover the cork, putting them on the day after
> corking. I'm hoping this (or possibly a wax capsule) will keep it
> from happening.
>
> Rob

scott f

You should check your humidity. 80% and higher will cause mold to grow!

"MOhar871" > wrote in message
> anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold growing on

the
> outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring and there are

several
> with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we opened some of them and

they
> are fine inside

scott f

"MOhar871" > wrote in message
> anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold growing on

the
> outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring and there are

several
> with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we opened some of them and

they
> are fine inside

gotmold2

For information on mold, check out www.moldacrossamerica.org

If you cannot find answers on the site for your particular question,
try the toll free hotlines listed on the site.