Brian

Default Muscadine wines...

Really easy question here, to which I have no idea:

How good are wines made with the muscadine family of grapes?

The reason I ask is, my wife and I just purchased a home with enough land to
plant some grape vines. The problem is, we live in Virginia Beach, host to
a bunch of nasties with a taste for other grape vareties better known.

I have never tasted a muscadine grape, let alone had a muscadine wine. I
haven't been able to find a review of one as yet.

Any info on whether or not it would be worth my time to plant muscadine for
the purpose of making wine would be greatly appreicated!

Brian

Aaron Puhala

Muscadines have a very musky/foxy aroma which I personally do not like
although some people do. If I were you I would try Norton. I recently
tried a 2001 Norton from Mount Pleasant Winery in Missouri... It's no
wonder they call it the Cabernet of the Ozarks!

CHEERS!

Aaron

"Brian" > wrote in message
newsmKzc.620$rf7.274@lakeread02...
> Really easy question here, to which I have no idea:
>
> How good are wines made with the muscadine family of grapes?
>
> The reason I ask is, my wife and I just purchased a home with enough land

> plant some grape vines. The problem is, we live in Virginia Beach, host

> a bunch of nasties with a taste for other grape vareties better known.
>
> I have never tasted a muscadine grape, let alone had a muscadine wine. I
> haven't been able to find a review of one as yet.
>
> Any info on whether or not it would be worth my time to plant muscadine

for
> the purpose of making wine would be greatly appreicated!
>
> Brian

BallroomDancer

> "Brian" > wrote in message
> newsmKzc.620$rf7.274@lakeread02...
> > Really easy question here, to which I have no idea:
> >
> > How good are wines made with the muscadine family of grapes?
> >
> > The reason I ask is, my wife and I just purchased a home with enough

land
> > plant some grape vines. The problem is, we live in Virginia Beach, host

> > a bunch of nasties with a taste for other grape vareties better known.
> >
> > I have never tasted a muscadine grape, let alone had a muscadine wine.

> > haven't been able to find a review of one as yet.
> >
> > Any info on whether or not it would be worth my time to plant muscadine

> for
> > the purpose of making wine would be greatly appreicated!
> >
> > Brian

There is a winery located in Knotts Island, NC; just south of Virginia
Beach. Might be worthwhile to contact them and find out what type vines they
have had good results. I'm in Chesapeake, so they are southeast of me.
There is a large winery in Williamsburg, they produce a bunch of different
wines from different grapes, but Knotts Island terroir is more likely to be
close to Virginia Beach.
Jim

Dwayne

Brian, of all the wines I have tried, I like muscadines best, especially
the dark ones. The wine has a rich good tasting flavor. I tried mine at a
winery in Arkansas that allowed us to taste each one they had, and I bought
several bottles of that one for special occasions.

They also make a very good jelly. You have to freeze them and then thaw out
just enough for one batch of jelly. If you make too much at one time, it
looses the musky taste. Everyone here in Kansas that has never tasted it,
has fallen in love with the ones my wife has made and given away.

I have also canned the juice from some, but havent used any of it yet, so I
dont know it the jelly will come out or not. All of my wife's folks in
Arkansas, use the freezing method, not the canning method.

Dwayne

"Brian" > wrote in message
newsmKzc.620$rf7.274@lakeread02...
> Really easy question here, to which I have no idea:
>
> How good are wines made with the muscadine family of grapes?
>
> The reason I ask is, my wife and I just purchased a home with enough land

> plant some grape vines. The problem is, we live in Virginia Beach, host

> a bunch of nasties with a taste for other grape vareties better known.
>
> I have never tasted a muscadine grape, let alone had a muscadine wine. I
> haven't been able to find a review of one as yet.
>
> Any info on whether or not it would be worth my time to plant muscadine

for
> the purpose of making wine would be greatly appreicated!
>
> Brian

Muscadine juice George Shirley Preserving 5 12-09-2009 08:19 PM
Muscadine grapes. The Cook Preserving 2 08-10-2006 09:11 PM
Muscadine Second-Run bwesley8 Winemaking 2 19-09-2005 06:42 PM
Sweetest muscadine wines on East Coast? Brad_Chad Winemaking 1 27-12-2004 07:05 PM
Sweetest muscadine wines on East Coast? Brad_Chad Winemaking 0 27-12-2004 04:06 AM