frederick ploegman

Default Foul taste of pectin enzyme?

"Joaquin" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi!
>
> I have a problem wine, a cab/merlot made from a kit. It refused to
> clear so eventually I did the pectin haze test found on Jack Kellers
> site. It showed that it was definatly a pectin problem.
>
> I consulted with my homebrew shop and they recommended to first add
> some pectin enzyme and to filter. The problem is with the pectin
> enzyme. After I added to the wine it has a nasty taste. I can't really
> describe it but it's a unpleastent bite to the wine. The pectin enzyme
> did smell when I diluted it with water but I thought that was normal.
> Is it?
>
> Is this something that will go away?
>
> Worried regards,
> Joaquin

I generally use the liquid type. Even in it's most concentrated form, it
has almost no odor. And, if you place the tiniest of drops on your
tongue, it has a slightly sweet taste and very little after taste. At
the levels normally used in winemaking, there should be no noticeable
effect on the wine other than taking care of pectin problems. Wine
doesn't like to be handled too much. I suspect that what you are
tasting is a kind of "bottle shock" effect (which will go away in time)
-or- if you didn't add enough extra sulfite, all the extra handling may
have caused some oxidation in the wine (which_won't_go away).
HTH

LG

I kinda like the taste of pecin enzyme. It kinda tastes a bit sweet and
light, and has a pleasant smell. I'm concerned that if it has a nasty taste
that perhaps it could have been spoiled in some way, or wasn't in fact
pectin enzyme but was something else.

LG

>Hi!
>
>I have a problem wine, a cab/merlot made from a kit. It refused to
>clear so eventually I did the pectin haze test found on Jack Kellers
>site. It showed that it was definatly a pectin problem.
>
>I consulted with my homebrew shop and they recommended to first add
>some pectin enzyme and to filter. The problem is with the pectin
>enzyme. After I added to the wine it has a nasty taste. I can't really
>describe it but it's a unpleastent bite to the wine. The pectin enzyme
>did smell when I diluted it with water but I thought that was normal.
>Is it?
>
>Is this something that will go away?
>
>Worried regards,
> Joaquin

Joaquin

Yes, I thought that it might have been spoiled in some way too. I
bought some more pectin enzyme in another shop and it wasn't the same.
More or less the same smell but way weaker than the first batch.

The wine is probably oxidized too due to all the racking and filtering
I've done. I'll probably just filter it again and bottle and hope for
the best. If it doesn't turn out ok I'll just dump it.

LG > wrote in message >. ..
> I kinda like the taste of pecin enzyme. It kinda tastes a bit sweet and
> light, and has a pleasant smell. I'm concerned that if it has a nasty taste
> that perhaps it could have been spoiled in some way, or wasn't in fact
> pectin enzyme but was something else.
>
> LG
>
> >Hi!
> >
> >I have a problem wine, a cab/merlot made from a kit. It refused to
> >clear so eventually I did the pectin haze test found on Jack Kellers
> >site. It showed that it was definatly a pectin problem.
> >
> >I consulted with my homebrew shop and they recommended to first add
> >some pectin enzyme and to filter. The problem is with the pectin
> >enzyme. After I added to the wine it has a nasty taste. I can't really
> >describe it but it's a unpleastent bite to the wine. The pectin enzyme
> >did smell when I diluted it with water but I thought that was normal.
> >Is it?
> >
> >Is this something that will go away?
> >
> >Worried regards,
> > Joaquin

OT Curt Shilling goes after trolls tweeting foul things about his daughter. Cheri[_3_] General Cooking 70 15-03-2015 03:53 PM
joemomma, another foul-mouthed Kramer sock puppet Takin & Kanoknuan General Cooking 1 16-01-2011 07:21 PM
foul-smelling Taiwan oolongs Alex Tea 14 09-11-2006 02:05 PM
Foul taste of pectin enzyme? Joaquin Winemaking 3 08-05-2004 05:08 AM
Pectin Enzyme + Campden Barry Winemaking 6 28-04-2004 09:48 AM