Ray

Default Lychee Wine

I started a batch of lychee wine about this time last year I had enough for
3 gallons, about 4 lbs per gallon. I bottled it about a month ago. Through
out the process it has had a glorious floral bouquet. Sort of reminiscent
of Gewürztraminer but much stronger.

I tried a bottle last night and was somewhat disappointed. When I bottled
it, it had a somewhat bitter taste. Sort of like it had had contact with
seeds but the fruit was seeded and pealed before fermentation. No stems
were used. The bitterness has mellowed some after a month in bottle but it
is still somewhat off. Considering the taste, I think it comes from the
fruit itself rather than an infection. I will give it 6 months and see if
it mellows further.

At this point I would say that they are worth it for the bouquet but I might
not use them by themselves if I make it in the future. Maybe half lychee
and half grape concentrate.

Anyone else have comments on this unusual fruit?

Ray