Juwanna

Default Bentonite

What is the best procedure for dissolving Bentonite. I have heard of using
hot water and then stirring like mad. Has anybody used the microwave to
heat up a mixture of water and bentonite to get it to dissolve then add this
to the mix? I always seem to have a chunk or two swirling around the
primary before I add the must but the finished product seems pretty
tasty......

William Frazier

Juwanna - Bentonite will not dissolve. Best was to make a proper bentonite
suspension is to add the clay to water in a blender. Mix for a couple of
minutes. Then set aside for at least one day so the clay can hydrate.
Shake it up to remix before adding to your wine.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas
"Juwanna" > wrote in message
> What is the best procedure for dissolving Bentonite. I have heard of

using
> hot water and then stirring like mad. Has anybody used the microwave to
> heat up a mixture of water and bentonite to get it to dissolve then add

this
> to the mix? I always seem to have a chunk or two swirling around the
> primary before I add the must but the finished product seems pretty
> tasty......

Daniel_B

I've had two different "types" of bentonite in the past. The stuff that
comes with my wine kits mixes differently than the stuff I buy separately
for my scratch wine. When I mix the kit bentonite, I take a 500ml jar like
CheezWhiz or mayo, half fill with hot tap water, slowly add the bentonite
while stirring with a spoon, then put the lid on, shake it, then add to the
wine. The first time I did this with the bentonite I bought separately, I
ended up with a solid gob of muck. The instructions on the package said to
use boiling water, but I figured I didn't need to go that hot. So when I did
it a second time with the boiling water, it worked perfectly.

"Juwanna" > wrote in message
> What is the best procedure for dissolving Bentonite. I have heard of

using
> hot water and then stirring like mad. Has anybody used the microwave to
> heat up a mixture of water and bentonite to get it to dissolve then add

this
> to the mix? I always seem to have a chunk or two swirling around the
> primary before I add the must but the finished product seems pretty
> tasty......

Tom S

"Juwanna" > wrote in message
> What is the best procedure for dissolving Bentonite. I have heard of

using
> hot water and then stirring like mad.

Forget the microwave. Boil water on the stove and use that in a blender in
a ratio of about 50 grams bentonite to a liter of hot water. Be careful you
don't scald yourself! Use it the next day after it has hydrated fully
(shake well).

BTW, bentonite is abrasive, so it'll go after the shaft seal in the blender.
I recommend getting a second blender that you only use for bentonite so you
don't have to worry about trashing the thing.

Tom S

bob

Tom,
I know alot of people have been recommending blenders on this thread
but because of the warnings you and others have given about the seals
wearing due to the abrasiveness of bentonite I used an electric hand
mixer to mix my bentonite. It seemed to work great and there is no
wear and tear on anything. Have you ever tried that?

Bob

"Tom S" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Juwanna" > wrote in message
> > What is the best procedure for dissolving Bentonite. I have heard of

> using
> > hot water and then stirring like mad.

> Forget the microwave. Boil water on the stove and use that in a blender in
> a ratio of about 50 grams bentonite to a liter of hot water. Be careful you
> don't scald yourself! Use it the next day after it has hydrated fully
> (shake well).
>
> BTW, bentonite is abrasive, so it'll go after the shaft seal in the blender.
> I recommend getting a second blender that you only use for bentonite so you
> don't have to worry about trashing the thing.
>
> Tom S

Stephen SG

Doyouwannapdf of the instructions?
Stephen SG
"Juwanna" > wrote in message
| What is the best procedure for dissolving Bentonite. I have heard of
using
| hot water and then stirring like mad. Has anybody used the microwave to
| heat up a mixture of water and bentonite to get it to dissolve then add
this
| to the mix? I always seem to have a chunk or two swirling around the
| primary before I add the must but the finished product seems pretty
| tasty......

Juwanna

A pdf of the instructions? Wow, could you post here. I like to keep the
email off the newsgroups to prevent you know.....
"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> Doyouwannapdf of the instructions?
> Stephen SG
> "Juwanna" > wrote in message
> | What is the best procedure for dissolving Bentonite. I have heard of
> using
> | hot water and then stirring like mad. Has anybody used the microwave to
> | heat up a mixture of water and bentonite to get it to dissolve then add
> this
> | to the mix? I always seem to have a chunk or two swirling around the
> | primary before I add the must but the finished product seems pretty
> | tasty......

Stephen SG

Due to the size of the pdf file it is not possible to post is on this
newsgroup
it contains 174 pages.
If you provide a forwarding e-mail address I will post it to you.
Stephen SG

WorldsWorst

I make up a batch of bentonite - about a cupful - at a time and this can be
used for several gallons as and when needed. I make up the batch a
liquidiser, add a campden tablet to sterilize (optional) and keep it in a
sterile bottle until needed - the liquidiser gets rid of lumps, etc.
"Juwanna" > wrote in message
> What is the best procedure for dissolving Bentonite. I have heard of

using
> hot water and then stirring like mad. Has anybody used the microwave to
> heat up a mixture of water and bentonite to get it to dissolve then add

this
> to the mix? I always seem to have a chunk or two swirling around the
> primary before I add the must but the finished product seems pretty
> tasty......

---

Bentonite Tom[_1_] Winemaking 1 10-05-2008 06:18 AM
Bentonite Question Crhoff Winemaking 6 17-01-2006 05:56 PM
Dissolving bentonite Adam Preble Winemaking 6 13-10-2005 05:18 AM
Bentonite Drunken Observer Winemaking 7 02-06-2005 02:41 PM
bentonite Dar V Winemaking 12 02-01-2004 06:28 PM