Dan

Default Rhubarb Wine part 3

Hmm... I made a post earlier, but it looks like it didn't show up.

Anyway, here it is again. I won't cut-and-paste my procedure into the post,
in case that was what caused the problem.

It's been 2-1/2 months since I last racked my rhubarb wine (Nov 16). It's
been sitting in the basement wine cellar, where it's cool, but not cold.
There is a bit of sediment in the bottom, but the wine is still cloudy/hazy.
What should I do next?

Dar V

I've made Rhubarb wine - is this the first time you've racked it? When did
you start the wine and what was your starting SG,and have you taken a SG
reading lately?
Darlene

"Dan" > wrote in message
> Hmm... I made a post earlier, but it looks like it didn't show up.
>
> Anyway, here it is again. I won't cut-and-paste my procedure into the

post,
> in case that was what caused the problem.
>
> It's been 2-1/2 months since I last racked my rhubarb wine (Nov 16). It's
> been sitting in the basement wine cellar, where it's cool, but not cold.
> There is a bit of sediment in the bottom, but the wine is still

cloudy/hazy.
> What should I do next?

Dan

Hi Dar. It looks like my posts lagged on their way to here. I see my
original post, which contained my procedure, but I guess you don't see it.
Here it is again:
(I hope you get THIS post, LOL)

.. 30 lbs frozen rhubarb

.. 14 litres cold water

.. 1/2 tsp potassium metabisulphite

.. 17 lbs finely granulated sugar

.. 4 litres boiling water

.. 450ml Realemon juice

.. 2 tbsp yeast nutrient

.. 1/2 tsp tannin

.. 2 packages wine yeast

NOTE: If using pre-washed and ½" pre-cut frozen rhubarb (which is MUCH
easier to crush), be sure to thaw in a container since juice is sure to leak
from the bags.

October 10, 2003

Crush in a small container in small quantities with a piece of sterilized
hardwood. Divide equally between two primaries. (30 lb of rhubarb produced
22 lb of juice and 8 lb of pulp). For each primary, dissolve ¼ tsp potassium
metabisulphite in 1 litre of water and pour over rhubarb. Add an additional
6 litres of water to each primary. Stir. Cover primaries with a towel and
let sit for three days, stirring daily.

October 12, 2003
Dissolve 17 lbs of sugar in 4 litres of boiling water. Allow to cool.

Strain rhubarb through a nylon straining bag and squeeze as much liquid as
possible from the pulp. Discard pulp and return juice to a single large
primary. Stir in cooled sugar water, lemon juice, nutrient, and tannin.
Split equally between 2 glass carboys, pitch a package of yeast into each
and fit with blow-off hoses.

(When yeast was pitched, batch was at 70', so I put the heating coil around
them. There ended up being no foaming, so airlocks would have worked in lieu
of hoses.)

Starting TA was 7.0

Starting SG was 1.092

October 26, 2003
When fermentation settles down (5-7 days), set aside in cool place until
wine begins to clear.

(Been busy with work. Neglected wine, so heating coil was left on until
today. Wine is at 72/73 F. Airlocks put on instead of blow-off hoses. No
sign of clearing yet. Minimal activity in airlocks.)

November 16, 2003
Rack. SG is 0.994. Add ¼ tsp of potassium metabisulphite to each batch by
dissolving in a cup of wine first. Re-rack to fill an 18.9 litre carboy,
five 2 litre pop bottles, and one 1 litre pop bottle. Airlock put on carboy,
caps put on pop bottles. No sign of clearing yet, but thought wine should
finally get off the sediment.

(Wine is tart, yet sweet, somewhat syrupy in texture. Rhubarb flavour is
prominent. Potassium metabisulphite stripped away the beautiful rose
colour!)

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> I've made Rhubarb wine - is this the first time you've racked it? When

did
> you start the wine and what was your starting SG,and have you taken a SG
> reading lately?
> Darlene
>
> "Dan" > wrote in message
> > Hmm... I made a post earlier, but it looks like it didn't show up.
> >
> > Anyway, here it is again. I won't cut-and-paste my procedure into the

> post,
> > in case that was what caused the problem.
> >
> > It's been 2-1/2 months since I last racked my rhubarb wine (Nov 16).

It's
> > been sitting in the basement wine cellar, where it's cool, but not cold.
> > There is a bit of sediment in the bottom, but the wine is still

> cloudy/hazy.
> > What should I do next?

Dar V

Okay, your wine is almost 4 months old, and you've racked it twice. Sounds
like you have sediment, so I would rack it again, and wait another month or
2. Check again, and rack again, and wait. I usually rack 3-4 times in a 7
month period, and usually the wine is clears on its own. You'd be surprised
by how much sediment can be suspended in a wine. I try to let the wine
clear on its own, before trying to clear it using other means. If is still
cloudy at 7-8 months, then check Jack Keller's homemade wine site on wine
problems - he explains what you need to do to clear a wine. Good-luck.
Darlene

"Dan" > wrote in message
> [...]

> colour!)
>

> "Dar V" > wrote in message
> > I've made Rhubarb wine - is this the first time you've racked it? When

> did
> > you start the wine and what was your starting SG,and have you taken a SG
> > reading lately?
> > Darlene
> >
> > "Dan" > wrote in message
> > > Hmm... I made a post earlier, but it looks like it didn't show up.
> > >
> > > Anyway, here it is again. I won't cut-and-paste my procedure into the

> > post,
> > > in case that was what caused the problem.
> > >
> > > It's been 2-1/2 months since I last racked my rhubarb wine (Nov 16).

> It's
> > > been sitting in the basement wine cellar, where it's cool, but not

cold.
> > > There is a bit of sediment in the bottom, but the wine is still

Dan

Thanks Dar. So you don't think I should add bentonite at this stage? If it
was a kit wine, I would have by now, and would have a crystal clear wine.
Many years ago, when I first got into wine making, I had a peach wine that
wouldn't clear even after 3 years in the bottle. Since I was so "virgin" in
those days, I didn't know any better and didn't add anything to try to clear
it.

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > Rack. SG is 0.994. Add ¼ tsp of potassium metabisulphite to each batch

by
> > dissolving in a cup of wine first. Re-rack to fill an 18.9 litre carboy,
> > five 2 litre pop bottles, and one 1 litre pop bottle. Airlock put on

> carboy,
> > caps put on pop bottles. No sign of clearing yet, but thought wine

should
> > finally get off the sediment.
> >
> > (Wine is tart, yet sweet, somewhat syrupy in texture. Rhubarb flavour is
> > prominent. Potassium metabisulphite stripped away the beautiful rose
> > colour!)
> >

> > "Dar V" > wrote in message
> > > I've made Rhubarb wine - is this the first time you've racked it?

When
> > did
> > > you start the wine and what was your starting SG,and have you taken a

Dar V

The choice is yours Dan, but there could be more going on here (or not) -
which bentonite won't fix. I've had 2 wines which were difficult to clear;
sometimes it can be a pectin haze, a starch haze, or something else. I've
used bentonite once, as a last resort. Racking usually clears my wines (or
cold stabilization), so I tend to do that before adding anything to the wine
which could alter the taste. I have never done a wine kit, but from what
I've heard around here, bentonite and sorbate are added rather early in the
process. I've only made fruit, flower, and vegea wines, so adding
bentonite, sorbate are added rather late in the process and only if you want
too. If it were my wine, I'd rack it and wait. Have you visited Jack
Keller's wine site?
Darlene

"Dan" > wrote in message
> [...]

until
> > > today. Wine is at 72/73 F. Airlocks put on instead of blow-off hoses.

No
> > > sign of clearing yet. Minimal activity in airlocks.)
> > >

> > > November 16, 2003
> > > Rack. SG is 0.994. Add ¼ tsp of potassium metabisulphite to each batch

> by
> > > dissolving in a cup of wine first. Re-rack to fill an 18.9 litre

carboy,
> > > five 2 litre pop bottles, and one 1 litre pop bottle. Airlock put on

> > carboy,
> > > caps put on pop bottles. No sign of clearing yet, but thought wine

> should
> > > finally get off the sediment.
> > >
> > > (Wine is tart, yet sweet, somewhat syrupy in texture. Rhubarb flavour

is
> > > prominent. Potassium metabisulphite stripped away the beautiful rose

LEE WEISS

I have made sweveral batches of Rhubarb. It is slow to clear. Whenever any
amount of significant amount of sediment appears I rack. Then I use
sparkaloid to fine. And the wine will sparkle, no joke. I only use half
the recommended amount ~3tbsp/ 5gal boiled in a cup of water. Sparkaloid
does not floculate well. You will want to rack two more times. Do not
agitatate with racking rod as the sparkaloid stirs easy off the bottom. The
biggest pit fall to the stuff. My experience is that it has very little
effect on flavor.

Good luck

Lee

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > > Okay, your wine is almost 4 months old, and you've racked it twice.

> > Sounds
> > > like you have sediment, so I would rack it again, and wait another

month
> > or
> > > 2. Check again, and rack again, and wait. I usually rack 3-4 times

in
> > 7
> > > month period, and usually the wine is clears on its own. You'd be

> > surprised
> > > by how much sediment can be suspended in a wine. I try to let the

wine
> > > clear on its own, before trying to clear it using other means. If is

> > still
> > > cloudy at 7-8 months, then check Jack Keller's homemade wine site on

> wine
> > > problems - he explains what you need to do to clear a wine.

Dan

I've been to his site, yes. That's where I got the basis for this recipe. I
haven't been back to peruse his stuff on stubborn clarification.
I'll try waiting, like you suggested. I just hope it's not like my old peach
wine that went on and on...

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > > Okay, your wine is almost 4 months old, and you've racked it twice.

> > Sounds
> > > like you have sediment, so I would rack it again, and wait another

month
> > or
> > > 2. Check again, and rack again, and wait. I usually rack 3-4 times

in
> > 7
> > > month period, and usually the wine is clears on its own. You'd be

> > surprised
> > > by how much sediment can be suspended in a wine. I try to let the

wine
> > > clear on its own, before trying to clear it using other means. If is

> > still
> > > cloudy at 7-8 months, then check Jack Keller's homemade wine site on

> wine
> > > problems - he explains what you need to do to clear a wine.

Dan

Lee,
How far into the process do you add the Sparkaloid? IE how many days, weeks,
after starting.

"LEE WEISS" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > bentonite, sorbate are added rather late in the process and only if you

> want
> > too. If it were my wine, I'd rack it and wait. Have you visited Jack
> > Keller's wine site?
> > Darlene
> >
> > "Dan" > wrote in message
> > > Thanks Dar. So you don't think I should add bentonite at this stage?

If
> it
> > > was a kit wine, I would have by now, and would have a crystal clear

> wine.
> > > Many years ago, when I first got into wine making, I had a peach wine

> that
> > > wouldn't clear even after 3 years in the bottle. Since I was so

"virgin"
> > in
> > > those days, I didn't know any better and didn't add anything to try to

Dar V

Dan,
Good-luck. I don't know that I'd wait as long as you did for your peach
however. I'm always curious as how one batch of the same wine will clear
quickly, while another batch won't. It has happened to me 2 or 3 times
using the same recipe, but with different wines. I'm a gardener as well,
and I know how weather can affect how fruit and vegeas will taste. And from
everything I've read here, grapes can be affected the same way. I've made
rhubarb and it has cleared in 4 months, and I've made it where it took 9
months. My one watermelon wine took 9-10 months, the next batch was crystal
clear in 3 months. I guess you could say I've got a system whereby if
something doesn't clear, I'll give it until 7-9 months and 6 rackings, then
I'll try to clear it. Jack has a good section on clarification of a
stubborn wine.
Darlene

"Dan" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > bentonite, sorbate are added rather late in the process and only if you

> want
> > too. If it were my wine, I'd rack it and wait. Have you visited Jack
> > Keller's wine site?
> > Darlene
> >
> > "Dan" > wrote in message
> > > Thanks Dar. So you don't think I should add bentonite at this stage?

If
> it
> > > was a kit wine, I would have by now, and would have a crystal clear

> wine.
> > > Many years ago, when I first got into wine making, I had a peach wine

> that
> > > wouldn't clear even after 3 years in the bottle. Since I was so

"virgin"
> > in
> > > those days, I didn't know any better and didn't add anything to try to

LEE WEISS

Dan,
I have had wine in a carboy for over a year before fining. I used to just
"give it time". I usually rack 3 or 4 times b4 fining. I do 25 litres at a
time. I should be able to see light through the wine but it is a little
hazy This year I did two batches, one in May and one in July. The May batch
was racked 4 times and fined in December. The August batch was racked 3
times and fined in December. I have since racked them both and am ready to
bottle. Clear as a bell. The only thing with Rhubarb, is over time Oxolic
acid precipitates out in small amounts. A commercial wine maker told me
that fltering will not stop this. From my experience it is a very light
dusting and nothing to be alarmed about..

Regards,
Lee

"Dan" > wrote in message
> [...]

> I've
> > > used bentonite once, as a last resort. Racking usually clears my

wines
> > (or
> > > cold stabilization), so I tend to do that before adding anything to

the
> > wine
> > > which could alter the taste. I have never done a wine kit, but from

> what
> > > I've heard around here, bentonite and sorbate are added rather early

in
> > the
> > > process. I've only made fruit, flower, and vegea wines, so adding
> > > bentonite, sorbate are added rather late in the process and only if

you
> > want
> > > too. If it were my wine, I'd rack it and wait. Have you visited Jack

Dan

TY Dar and Lee. I guess my next update is at least a few months away! I'll
keep you posted when something new happens.

"LEE WEISS" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > How far into the process do you add the Sparkaloid? IE how many days,

> weeks,
> > after starting.
> >
> > "LEE WEISS" > wrote in message
> > > I have made sweveral batches of Rhubarb. It is slow to clear.

Whenever
> > any
> > > amount of significant amount of sediment appears I rack. Then I use
> > > sparkaloid to fine. And the wine will sparkle, no joke. I only use

> half
> > > the recommended amount ~3tbsp/ 5gal boiled in a cup of water.

> Sparkaloid
> > > does not floculate well. You will want to rack two more times. Do not
> > > agitatate with racking rod as the sparkaloid stirs easy off the

bottom.
> > The
> > > biggest pit fall to the stuff. My experience is that it has very

Dar V

Please do let us know how it is going...I'm always interested in what others
are doing with the types of wine I make.
Darlene

Rhubarb wine John Hopwood Winemaking 14 24-08-2004 01:33 PM
Rhubarb Wine part 3 Dan Winemaking 0 31-01-2004 09:01 PM
Rhubarb Wine part 2 Dan Winemaking 7 28-11-2003 10:15 PM
Rhubarb Wine Part 1 Dan Winemaking 7 12-10-2003 08:20 PM
Rhubarb wine Dan Winemaking 0 05-10-2003 11:56 PM