Pete

Default Lid options for 50gallon drum

This fall I plan on doing a large batch of red wine.

I will need to ferment on the skins and plan on using this 50gal SS
drum I have.
After they are pressed, the wine will be split into various carboys
and kegs.

I am not sure what it used to be used for, but it does NOT look like a
standard "oil" type drum. I bought it off a winemaker who used it for
years for wine.

He used Burlap sacks to cover it. He never made "good" wine. He was
pretty much making flavored moonshine.

What are my options for a lid?
Any suggestions?

I was looking at one of those lids with the rubber tubing that you
pump up to seal it. Is that something I can purchase alone?

Or would a piece of plexiglass be ok?

Does it have to be fully sealed? The wine won't be aged in it.
Tom S

"Pete" > wrote in message
om...
> This fall I plan on doing a large batch of red wine.
>
> I will need to ferment on the skins and plan on using this 50gal SS
> drum I have.
> After they are pressed, the wine will be split into various carboys
> and kegs.
>
> I am not sure what it used to be used for, but it does NOT look like a
> standard "oil" type drum. I bought it off a winemaker who used it for
> years for wine.
>
> He used Burlap sacks to cover it. He never made "good" wine. He was
> pretty much making flavored moonshine.
>
> What are my options for a lid?
> Any suggestions?

For fermentation, a sheet of plastic, plexiglass or plywood will do. It
doesn't need to be airtight; it's mainly to keep bugs out and the CO2 from
blowing away.

> I was looking at one of those lids with the rubber tubing that you
> pump up to seal it. Is that something I can purchase alone?

I doubt it. That sounds like a lid for a variable capacity tank. You'd
have to buy the tank too.

Tom S

MikeMTM

Pete,

For a tighter seal, say, for an extended maceration, consider a round
piece of Plexiglas, of plywood, or even just plastic sheet, and the
copious use of duct tape. It might not be pretty, but it doesn't have to
be.

HTH, MIke MTM

Pete wrote:

> This fall I plan on doing a large batch of red wine.
>
> I will need to ferment on the skins and plan on using this 50gal SS
> drum I have.
> After they are pressed, the wine will be split into various carboys
> and kegs.
>
> I am not sure what it used to be used for, but it does NOT look like a
> standard "oil" type drum. I bought it off a winemaker who used it for
> years for wine.
>
> He used Burlap sacks to cover it. He never made "good" wine. He was
> pretty much making flavored moonshine.
>
> What are my options for a lid?
> Any suggestions?
>
> I was looking at one of those lids with the rubber tubing that you
> pump up to seal it. Is that something I can purchase alone?
>
> Or would a piece of plexiglass be ok?
>
> Does it have to be fully sealed? The wine won't be aged in it.

Patrick McDonald

Pete,
We use bed linens or some other cloth to "cover" the must to keep bugs out.
As Tom S eludes to, using a less permeable barrier will hold more of the CO2
within the environment directly surrounding the must to protect against
nasties but I've done 10-12 day ferments on skins using just bed linens and
a strapping mechanism just fine.

Patrick
"Pete" > wrote in message
om...
> This fall I plan on doing a large batch of red wine.
>
> I will need to ferment on the skins and plan on using this 50gal SS
> drum I have.
> After they are pressed, the wine will be split into various carboys
> and kegs.
>
> I am not sure what it used to be used for, but it does NOT look like a
> standard "oil" type drum. I bought it off a winemaker who used it for
> years for wine.
>
> He used Burlap sacks to cover it. He never made "good" wine. He was
> pretty much making flavored moonshine.
>
> What are my options for a lid?
> Any suggestions?
>
> I was looking at one of those lids with the rubber tubing that you
> pump up to seal it. Is that something I can purchase alone?
>
> Or would a piece of plexiglass be ok?
>
> Does it have to be fully sealed? The wine won't be aged in it.

Pete

I plan on leaving this out in the garage, so I don't want to get anything in it.

The plexiglass route seems the best.
I will have to see how much it costs.

MikeMTM > wrote in message >...
> Pete,
>
> For a tighter seal, say, for an extended maceration, consider a round
> piece of Plexiglas, of plywood, or even just plastic sheet, and the
> copious use of duct tape. It might not be pretty, but it doesn't have to
> be.
>
> HTH, MIke MTM
>
> Pete wrote:
>
> > This fall I plan on doing a large batch of red wine.
> >
> > I will need to ferment on the skins and plan on using this 50gal SS
> > drum I have.
> > After they are pressed, the wine will be split into various carboys
> > and kegs.
> >
> > I am not sure what it used to be used for, but it does NOT look like a
> > standard "oil" type drum. I bought it off a winemaker who used it for
> > years for wine.
> >
> > He used Burlap sacks to cover it. He never made "good" wine. He was
> > pretty much making flavored moonshine.
> >
> > What are my options for a lid?
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > I was looking at one of those lids with the rubber tubing that you
> > pump up to seal it. Is that something I can purchase alone?
> >
> > Or would a piece of plexiglass be ok?
> >
> > Does it have to be fully sealed? The wine won't be aged in it.

David D.

Pete,

For my 55gal poly drum, I use a thick plastic cover with elastic ends
during primary fermentation. It's like a big shower cap. I got mine
at: http://valleyvintner.com/Merchant2/m...gor y_Code=WE
for $4.25 USD

After primary fermentation, you can purchase a Variable Capacity lid
at most places that sell the whole units. They may have one that
matches your inside diameter. They can get expensive, depending on
the size. Scroll to the bottom of the following link to the
"Replacement Lids for Variable Capacity Tanks" section:
http://stpats.com/Fermenters.htm

I have no affiliation with these sites.

Good luck,
David

BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Cooking Equipment 1 20-05-2006 11:08 AM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Restaurants 0 07-05-2006 03:25 AM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS General Cooking 0 07-05-2006 03:23 AM
Where to buy SS 55 gallon drum? Abe Barbecue 15 18-10-2005 01:58 AM
55 gal Drum for a Pit Jim Rutkowski Barbecue 20 05-09-2004 07:02 PM