G. ROMIE ROLLERI

Default Need help selling high quality wine grapes.

I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List of
some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
Fair.

Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that are
dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are coming on
line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.

Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
amounts of wine grapes to them.

greg boyd

Tell us more .
I need a ton of petite syrah , and a ton of cab next year .
In the Southern California area.
Greg
"G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
> vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
> makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List of
> some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
> Fair.
>
> Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that

are
> dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are coming

on
> line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
>
> Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> amounts of wine grapes to them.

BooBoo

I would be interested in buying grapes from you on a small scale. We have a
few brew stores here in Phoenix. If you contacted them, I bet they could
sell them for you. If my brew store got a batch of fresh grapes, I would
be first in line to buy some.

"G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
> vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
> makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List of
> some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
> Fair.
>
> Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that

are
> dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are coming

on
> line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
>
> Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> amounts of wine grapes to them.

greg boyd

Heeyyy BooBoo ,
Look for your book , it's out for delivery as we speak .
Greg
"BooBoo" > wrote in message
> I would be interested in buying grapes from you on a small scale. We have

> few brew stores here in Phoenix. If you contacted them, I bet they could
> sell them for you. If my brew store got a batch of fresh grapes, I would
> be first in line to buy some.
>

> "G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> > I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
> > vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
> > makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List

of
> > some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> > California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
> > Fair.
> >
> > Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that

> are
> > dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are

coming
> on
> > line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
> >
> > Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> > amounts of wine grapes to them.

rod

Hello Greg,

We are located in Calaveras Co. California in the Sierra Foothills. The
vineyard has a southern exposure with warm sierra winds and cool mountain
nights, pruned to 4 to 5 tons to the acre for quality. This is a great
Cabernet Franc. I like it better then the Merlot and have it as my table
wine. The vineyard also grows Merlot, Tempranillo and forth variety that we
are not releasing at this time.

We have sold small amount to local wine makers but shipping is the problem
for long distantness. Boxing them like table grapes and shipping is to
costly, witch small wine makers cannot afford. Although, the same people
will by table grapes at the store for $1.00 lb. and may pay the same for
wine grapes shipped to them but I have not heard of it. Twenty-five pounds
of grapes may make about two gallons.

So I am looking for suggestion on how to do something like that and everyone
come out.

"greg boyd" > wrote in message
> Tell us more .
> I need a ton of petite syrah , and a ton of cab next year .
> In the Southern California area.
> Greg
> "G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> > I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
> > vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
> > makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List

of
> > some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> > California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
> > Fair.
> >
> > Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that

> are
> > dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are

coming
> on
> > line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
> >
> > Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> > amounts of wine grapes to them.

rod

Hello Ant,
Yes we did. Shipping is were we run in to a snag. Wine grapes have to stay
cool or they start fermentation.

"Ant" > wrote in message
Have you considered selling via ebay
You never know your look may be in.
ant
"G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List of
some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
Fair.

Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that are
dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are coming on
line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.

Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
amounts of wine grapes to them.

BooBoo

Heeyyy Greg,

FU

"greg boyd" > wrote in message
> Heeyyy BooBoo ,
> Look for your book , it's out for delivery as we speak .
> Greg
> "BooBoo" > wrote in message
> > I would be interested in buying grapes from you on a small scale. We

have
> > few brew stores here in Phoenix. If you contacted them, I bet they

could
> > sell them for you. If my brew store got a batch of fresh grapes, I

would
> > be first in line to buy some.
> >

> > "G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> > > I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a

small
> > > vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by

wine
> > > makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List

> of
> > > some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> > > California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange

County
> > > Fair.
> > >
> > > Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes

that
> > are
> > > dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are

> coming
> > on
> > > line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
> > >
> > > Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship

small
> > > amounts of wine grapes to them.

BooBoo

Heeyy Greg,

Oops, I did not realize it was you. I thought you were some idiot being
sarcastic.

I now realize you are the one how sent me the "book". I got it today.
Thanks you soo much. I have a copier here at home and will make a copy of
it tomorrow. I will get it back to you next week.

Thanks again

Mike

"BooBoo" > wrote in message
> Heeyyy Greg,
>
> FU
>

> "greg boyd" > wrote in message
> > Heeyyy BooBoo ,
> > Look for your book , it's out for delivery as we speak .
> > Greg
> > "BooBoo" > wrote in message
> > > I would be interested in buying grapes from you on a small scale. We

> have
> > > few brew stores here in Phoenix. If you contacted them, I bet they

> could
> > > sell them for you. If my brew store got a batch of fresh grapes, I

> would
> > > be first in line to buy some.

> small

> wine

List
> > of

> County

> that
> > > are

> > coming
> > > on

> small

Joe Sallustio

Rod,
Have you thought of contacting Peter Brehm? He pails and resells
grapes like yours from the west coast. Lamanuzzi and Pantaleo hot
press reds and sell the juice, they are down in Madera. They also box
grapes and ship them all over the Northeast and Canada.

It's a shame to have several thousand gallons of good wine go to
waste. I would love to have access to them but am in Pittsburgh.
Those are the ways you get product out here. Reefer trucks bring
pallets of hot pressed red juice that are pailed in 6 gallon buckets,
also 40 pound lugs on pallets from the central valley. Brehm pails 5
gallons of frozen, destemmed higher quality grapes like yours and they
are also shipped all over.

I would warn you that prices are pretty cheap out here because no one
expects grapes of high quality unless they are getting them locally or
from Brehm. Central Valley pails go for under $40, lugs are around
$20 at the wholesalers, I can't imagine that being worth the effort.
Regards,
Joe

"rod" > wrote in message >...
> Hello Greg,
>
> We are located in Calaveras Co. California in the Sierra Foothills. The
> vineyard has a southern exposure with warm sierra winds and cool mountain
> nights, pruned to 4 to 5 tons to the acre for quality. This is a great
> Cabernet Franc. I like it better then the Merlot and have it as my table
> wine. The vineyard also grows Merlot, Tempranillo and forth variety that we
> are not releasing at this time.
>
> We have sold small amount to local wine makers but shipping is the problem
> for long distantness. Boxing them like table grapes and shipping is to
> costly, witch small wine makers cannot afford. Although, the same people
> will by table grapes at the store for $1.00 lb. and may pay the same for
> wine grapes shipped to them but I have not heard of it. Twenty-five pounds
> of grapes may make about two gallons.
>
> So I am looking for suggestion on how to do something like that and everyone
> come out.
>
> "greg boyd" > wrote in message
> > Tell us more .
> > I need a ton of petite syrah , and a ton of cab next year .
> > In the Southern California area.
> > Greg
> > "G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> > > I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
> > > vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
> > > makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List

> of
> > > some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> > > California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
> > > Fair.
> > >
> > > Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that

> are
> > > dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are

> coming
> on
> > > line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
> > >
> > > Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> > > amounts of wine grapes to them.

Rod Lang

Default PS I am Romie

Sorry I did not change the name on the account the first time posting. So
The first posting was from me

Rod

"rod" > wrote in message
> Hello Greg,
>
> We are located in Calaveras Co. California in the Sierra Foothills. The
> vineyard has a southern exposure with warm sierra winds and cool mountain
> nights, pruned to 4 to 5 tons to the acre for quality. This is a great
> Cabernet Franc. I like it better then the Merlot and have it as my table
> wine. The vineyard also grows Merlot, Tempranillo and forth variety that

we
> are not releasing at this time.
>
> We have sold small amount to local wine makers but shipping is the problem
> for long distantness. Boxing them like table grapes and shipping is to
> costly, witch small wine makers cannot afford. Although, the same people
> will by table grapes at the store for $1.00 lb. and may pay the same for
> wine grapes shipped to them but I have not heard of it. Twenty-five pounds
> of grapes may make about two gallons.
>
> So I am looking for suggestion on how to do something like that and

everyone
> come out.
>
> "greg boyd" > wrote in message
> > Tell us more .
> > I need a ton of petite syrah , and a ton of cab next year .
> > In the Southern California area.
> > Greg
> > "G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> > > I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a

small
> > > vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by

wine
> > > makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List

> of
> > > some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> > > California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange

County
> > > Fair.
> > >
> > > Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes

that
> > are
> > > dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are

> coming
> > on
> > > line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
> > >
> > > Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship

small
> > > amounts of wine grapes to them.

Richard Kovach

I can't really help with your specific request (reaching small
winemakers). But if your vineyard management in the past focused more
on quantity versus quality, perhaps you can try increasing the quality
of your Cab Franc grapes by more aggressive vine management. If you
thin the clusters and end up with 10 or 12 tons off the same piece of
land but they are of far better quality than the 20 tons would have
been, you may be able to sell them for a decent price. Better than
dropping all 20 tons on the ground... But of course you may already
be managing the vines to their fullest potential, in which case I
really feel for you. If I wasn't hundreds (thousands?) of miles away,
I'd buy some.

I honestly wonder each year how it is that we can buy lugs of fresh
grapes here in Calgary for approx. $20 (Canadian$). Just the picking,
packing, shipping and wholesaler markup alone seems like it should
cost more than that. I can't imagine how the vineyard owner really
makes any money. And then there are all the old-timers there buying
the grapes when I am, complaining about how expensive they are these
days!

If your grapes are of good quality, maybe you can find an amateur
winemaker with time and money to start a small winery. If my
calculations are correct, 20 tons should yield something like 1100
cases of Cab Franc. If I win the lottery any time soon, I'll be in
touch ;-)

Good Luck!

Richard

"G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message >...
> I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
> vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
> makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List of
> some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
> Fair.
>
> Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that are
> dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are coming on
> line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
>
> Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> amounts of wine grapes to them.

Rod

Photo of down the row. (Cabernet Franc) 2003

Rod

"G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
> vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
> makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List of
> some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
> Fair.
>
> Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that

are
> dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are coming

on
> line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
>
> Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> amounts of wine grapes to them.

John

Sell it locally and let them pick them up!!
John

"G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
> vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
> makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List of
> some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
> Fair.
>
> Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that

are
> dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are coming

on
> line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
>
> Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> amounts of wine grapes to them.

greg boyd

Even though all these grapes are being dropped on the ground , the price for
us is still high .
They were talking about 1200 a ton if picked up . Now that may be a good
price , but if you are dropping them on the ground , wouldn't you sell them
cheap and at least make something ? Contract sale , top dollar , ok . Left
over , dropped on the ground , sell them cheap and make wages.
Greg

"John" > wrote in message
> Sell it locally and let them pick them up!!
> John
>
> "G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> > I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a small
> > vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by wine
> > makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List

of
> > some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> > California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange County
> > Fair.
> >
> > Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes that

> are
> > dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are

coming
> on
> > line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
> >
> > Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> > amounts of wine grapes to them.

BooBoo

Maybe give a break on the first batch, so we can try them. If the grapes
are good, we might be willing to pay more next time. Better than wasting
them.

"greg boyd" > wrote in message
> Even though all these grapes are being dropped on the ground , the price

for
> us is still high .
> They were talking about 1200 a ton if picked up . Now that may be a good
> price , but if you are dropping them on the ground , wouldn't you sell

them
> cheap and at least make something ? Contract sale , top dollar , ok . Left
> over , dropped on the ground , sell them cheap and make wages.
> Greg
>

> "John" > wrote in message
> > Sell it locally and let them pick them up!!
> > John
> >
> > "G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message
> > > I am having trouble-selling wine grapes from the vineyard. It is a

small
> > > vineyard witch produces high quality wine grapes. Wines produced by

wine
> > > makers from the vineyard have received numerous metals each year. List

> of
> > > some: San Diego National Wine Competition, Los Angeles County Fair,
> > > California State Fair, San Francisco Wine Competition, and Orange

County
> > > Fair.
> > >
> > > Each year we have about 20 ton of un-sold Cabernet Fran wine grapes

that
> > are
> > > dropped on the ground. Wineries plant their own vineyards that are

> coming
> > on
> > > line our contracts drop and we drop more grapes on the ground.
> > >
> > > Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship

small
> > > amounts of wine grapes to them.

Michael Brill

"G. ROMIE ROLLERI" > wrote in message >...
> Anyone have suggestions on how to reach small wine makers and ship small
> amounts of wine grapes to them.

Were you not able to sell it to a bulk producer? 20 tons time almost
anything a ton is nothing to sneeze at. IMHO, you should be focusing
on quality above anything else. I have no idea what sort of farming
approach you have, but I imagine you have some room to improve in
canopy management, yields, irrigation, use of pesticides, etc. Put
another way, 5 tons of knock-out grapes trumps 20 tons of good grapes
in this market. Where is the vineyard?

For the time being it's a buyer's market. I bought several tons of
grapes last year, mostly in 1/2 ton increments and I was shocked that
folks running 100 acre vineyards were trying to sell me 1/2 ton lots.

If you can grow great grapes then you can find good winemakers who
will at least work on a wine for grape swap. This gives you the sales
tool you need.

....Michael