ff

Default Foam Through Airlock Question

I started a batch of Brew King's International Australian Shiraz this
weekend in a 6+ gallon carboy. Within a day it was foaming through
the airlock. The airlock spewed wine for a few hours. I tried a few
times to rinse the airlock with tap water and put it back on the
carboy but ended up installing a blow tube which solved the problem.
I rinsed the blow tube with One Step sanitizer before using it.

My question is - in the above scenario is there much chance of
contamination? The fermentation had been going pretty strong before
the foam over. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for any help,
ff
Joe Sallustio

Wine is pretty forgiving, I don't think you have a problem. Next time
try to have more headspace in the carboy for the first several days,
just blend it up and decant some into a gallon jug.
Regards,
Joe

ff > wrote in message >. ..
> I started a batch of Brew King's International Australian Shiraz this
> weekend in a 6+ gallon carboy. Within a day it was foaming through
> the airlock. The airlock spewed wine for a few hours. I tried a few
> times to rinse the airlock with tap water and put it back on the
> carboy but ended up installing a blow tube which solved the problem.
> I rinsed the blow tube with One Step sanitizer before using it.
>
> My question is - in the above scenario is there much chance of
> contamination? The fermentation had been going pretty strong before
> the foam over. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!!!
>
> Thanks for any help,
> ff

Tom S

"ff" > wrote in message
> I started a batch of Brew King's International Australian Shiraz this
> weekend in a 6+ gallon carboy. Within a day it was foaming through
> the airlock.

Don't the kit instructions indicate that you should start the fermentation
in a wide mouth bucket, and later transfer to the carboy? That's how most
reds are done anyway. Helps prevent making a mess.

You should be OK now, except for the loss of product.

Tom S

Steve

> I started a batch of Brew King's International Australian Shiraz this
> weekend in a 6+ gallon carboy. Within a day it was foaming through
> the airlock.

Why are you fermenting in a carboy instead of a bucket?
ff

I know it would probably be better to ferment a bucket but I just love
watching it in the carboy. The other two batches didn't foam over
like this one did. Bottom line is I just hate to put it in the bucket
because I can't see it swirling around! But I guess that would be
better.

Thanks for the responses guys! This sure is a lot easier than
beermaking.

On 5 Nov 2003 16:43:40 -0800, (Steve) wrote:

>> I started a batch of Brew King's International Australian Shiraz this
>> weekend in a 6+ gallon carboy. Within a day it was foaming through
>> the airlock.

>Why are you fermenting in a carboy instead of a bucket?

JEP

ff > wrote in message >. ..

> Thanks for the responses guys! This sure is a lot easier than
> beermaking.

Yes, but your winemaking technique is akin to opening two cans of
pre-hopped malt extract, adding water and pitching yeast. It will be
beer, but will it be good beer?

Just like brewing, wine making can be very simple or very complex.
Hopefully, taking the hard path produces a better drink.

Andy
Bob

> I know it would probably be better to ferment a bucket but I just love
> watching it in the carboy. The other two batches didn't foam over
> like this one did. Bottom line is I just hate to put it in the bucket
> because I can't see it swirling around! But I guess that would be
> better.
>
> Thanks for the responses guys! This sure is a lot easier than
> beermaking.

If winemaking is so easy, then how come you're having problems with foam in
your airlock? I've been making wine for 20 years, and I still learn
something new and interesting every time I make wine, or read postings in
this newsgroup. The more you try to perfect your methods and your wines,
then more you will find out how complex it can be.

Sounds like you're having fun making wine, which is the main reason to make
it in the first place. Good luck.

e-spice

Uh, hmmmmmm. I don't remember saying it was a breeze or that I had
mastered everything perfectly. I simply said it was easier to make
than beer. I've only made a few batches and have a lot to learn.
Gee.

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:25:23 GMT, "Bob" > wrote:

>> I know it would probably be better to ferment a bucket but I just love
>> watching it in the carboy. The other two batches didn't foam over
>> like this one did. Bottom line is I just hate to put it in the bucket
>> because I can't see it swirling around! But I guess that would be
>> better.
>>
>> Thanks for the responses guys! This sure is a lot easier than
>> beermaking.

>If winemaking is so easy, then how come you're having problems with foam in
>your airlock? I've been making wine for 20 years, and I still learn
>something new and interesting every time I make wine, or read postings in
>this newsgroup. The more you try to perfect your methods and your wines,
>then more you will find out how complex it can be.
>
>Sounds like you're having fun making wine, which is the main reason to make
>it in the first place. Good luck.

spitfire2

Bob wrote:

>>I know it would probably be better to ferment a bucket but I just love
>>watching it in the carboy. The other two batches didn't foam over
>>like this one did. Bottom line is I just hate to put it in the bucket
>>because I can't see it swirling around! But I guess that would be
>>better.
>>
>>Thanks for the responses guys! This sure is a lot easier than
>>beermaking.
>>

>If winemaking is so easy, then how come you're having problems with foam in
>your airlock? I've been making wine for 20 years, and I still learn
>something new and interesting every time I make wine, or read postings in
>this newsgroup. The more you try to perfect your methods and your wines,
>then more you will find out how complex it can be.
>
>Sounds like you're having fun making wine, which is the main reason to make
>it in the first place. Good luck.

Over the years, I 've used everything from 1 gallon glass jars through
to 10 gallon stoneware jars, not to mention 5 gallon "boxes", but
never fermented wine in the open.

I like it when a really deep red foams over through the traps - its
really spectacular, not to mention messy

All good fun, especially when it comes to the drinking stage........

Dave.

Airlock or not for MLF? CheeseMonger Winemaking 4 17-10-2007 04:01 PM
Airlock sucking in Paul Smith Winemaking 5 23-06-2006 06:17 PM
Airlock question mdginzo Winemaking 3 17-12-2005 01:32 PM
Why Is The Airlock Moving??? Sedgewick Halbritton Winemaking 18 13-12-2005 12:44 AM
Carboy airlock is spewing foam ,,,advice please --quick. Kentucky Winemaking 10 28-08-2005 09:52 PM