Foam Through Airlock Question

Old 05-11-2003, 08:08 AM
ff
Usenet poster

Default Foam Through Airlock Question

I started a batch of Brew King's International Australian Shiraz this
weekend in a 6+ gallon carboy. Within a day it was foaming through
the airlock. The airlock spewed wine for a few hours. I tried a few
times to rinse the airlock with tap water and put it back on the
carboy but ended up installing a blow tube which solved the problem.
I rinsed the blow tube with One Step sanitizer before using it.

My question is - in the above scenario is there much chance of
contamination? The fermentation had been going pretty strong before
the foam over. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for any help,
ff
Old 05-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Joe Sallustio
Usenet poster

Wine is pretty forgiving, I don't think you have a problem. Next time
try to have more headspace in the carboy for the first several days,
just blend it up and decant some into a gallon jug.
Regards,
Joe

Old 05-11-2003, 02:54 PM
Tom S
Usenet poster

"ff" wrote in message
I started a batch of Brew King's International Australian Shiraz this
weekend in a 6+ gallon carboy. Within a day it was foaming through
the airlock.

Don't the kit instructions indicate that you should start the fermentation
in a wide mouth bucket, and later transfer to the carboy? That's how most
reds are done anyway. Helps prevent making a mess.

You should be OK now, except for the loss of product.

Tom S

Old 06-11-2003, 01:43 AM
Steve
Usenet poster

I started a batch of Brew King's International Australian Shiraz this
weekend in a 6+ gallon carboy. Within a day it was foaming through
the airlock.

Why are you fermenting in a carboy instead of a bucket?
Old 06-11-2003, 02:15 AM
ff
Usenet poster

I know it would probably be better to ferment a bucket but I just love
watching it in the carboy. The other two batches didn't foam over
like this one did. Bottom line is I just hate to put it in the bucket
because I can't see it swirling around! But I guess that would be
better.

Thanks for the responses guys! This sure is a lot easier than
beermaking.

Old 06-11-2003, 05:55 PM
JEP
Usenet poster

ff wrote in message . ..

Thanks for the responses guys! This sure is a lot easier than
beermaking.

Yes, but your winemaking technique is akin to opening two cans of
pre-hopped malt extract, adding water and pitching yeast. It will be
beer, but will it be good beer?

Just like brewing, wine making can be very simple or very complex.
Hopefully, taking the hard path produces a better drink.

Andy
Old 07-11-2003, 12:25 AM
Bob
Usenet poster

I know it would probably be better to ferment a bucket but I just love
watching it in the carboy. The other two batches didn't foam over
like this one did. Bottom line is I just hate to put it in the bucket
because I can't see it swirling around! But I guess that would be
better.

Thanks for the responses guys! This sure is a lot easier than
beermaking.

If winemaking is so easy, then how come you're having problems with foam in
your airlock? I've been making wine for 20 years, and I still learn
something new and interesting every time I make wine, or read postings in
this newsgroup. The more you try to perfect your methods and your wines,
then more you will find out how complex it can be.

Sounds like you're having fun making wine, which is the main reason to make
it in the first place. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2003, 03:20 AM
e-spice
Usenet poster

Uh, hmmmmmm. I don't remember saying it was a breeze or that I had
mastered everything perfectly. I simply said it was easier to make
than beer. I've only made a few batches and have a lot to learn.
Gee.

Old 15-11-2003, 11:24 PM
spitfire2
Usenet poster

Bob wrote:

I know it would probably be better to ferment a bucket but I just love
watching it in the carboy. The other two batches didn't foam over
like this one did. Bottom line is I just hate to put it in the bucket
because I can't see it swirling around! But I guess that would be
better.

Thanks for the responses guys! This sure is a lot easier than
beermaking.

If winemaking is so easy, then how come you're having problems with foam in
your airlock? I've been making wine for 20 years, and I still learn
something new and interesting every time I make wine, or read postings in
this newsgroup. The more you try to perfect your methods and your wines,
then more you will find out how complex it can be.

Sounds like you're having fun making wine, which is the main reason to make
it in the first place. Good luck.

Over the years, I 've used everything from 1 gallon glass jars through
to 10 gallon stoneware jars, not to mention 5 gallon "boxes", but
never fermented wine in the open.

I like it when a really deep red foams over through the traps - its
really spectacular, not to mention messy

All good fun, especially when it comes to the drinking stage........

Dave.

Wok Seasoning Question Charles Goodman General Cooking 14 22-03-2004 04:14 AM
Chef's knife question scyld Cooking Equipment 5 15-03-2004 05:00 PM
Chef's knife question scyld Preserving 5 15-03-2004 05:00 PM
Disposible foam plates Sam D. General Cooking 112 23-12-2003 12:01 AM