Eric Deaver

Default Persimmon wine question

I have come upon a way to remove the tanins from unripe wild
persimmon. I would like to try making a wine from them in the hopes
that the unripe fruit will mot produce the tobacco brown wine but a
more tan color wine. I read about the seed issue. Why can't I just
crush the fruit and leave the seeds in for the first 7 days of
fermentation? I think deseeding will be next to impossible as they
have many small seeds.

Any suggestions? Also, do you think this will work?

Eric
ziggy

Hi Eric, I heard of a person that makes excellent persimmon wine fermenting
on the seeds so I thought I'd give it shot.
I decided to make a mead this time so I added the persimmons to the
secondary and did notice a slight blistering on the seeds when it came time
to remove them, it's very young so it's hard to tell if there will be any
off flavors but so far all appears to be well.

I plan on making persimmon wine this winter and will be fermenting it on the
seeds also so if you have any good tips on persimmon wine in general I'd
love to hear about them.

Also would you mind sharing your secret on removing the bitter nasties from
unripe persimmons?

Rick

"Eric Deaver" > wrote in message
> I have come upon a way to remove the tanins from unripe wild
> persimmon. I would like to try making a wine from them in the hopes
> that the unripe fruit will mot produce the tobacco brown wine but a
> more tan color wine. I read about the seed issue. Why can't I just
> crush the fruit and leave the seeds in for the first 7 days of
> fermentation? I think deseeding will be next to impossible as they
> have many small seeds.
>
> Any suggestions? Also, do you think this will work?
>
> Eric

Eric Deaver

Pastorio and I have been having this discussion on rec.food.preserving
- just google search that group and you will have the entire breath of
information available on treating unripe persimmon. I am interested
on any ideas you may also have on the issue. The "nasties" are
tannins so it may just be a matter of aging the wine to address the
tannins that make it through the treatment process.

Eric

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 05:50:45 -0800, "ziggy" >
wrote:

>Hi Eric, I heard of a person that makes excellent persimmon wine fermenting
>on the seeds so I thought I'd give it shot.
>I decided to make a mead this time so I added the persimmons to the
>secondary and did notice a slight blistering on the seeds when it came time
>to remove them, it's very young so it's hard to tell if there will be any
>off flavors but so far all appears to be well.
>
>I plan on making persimmon wine this winter and will be fermenting it on the
>seeds also so if you have any good tips on persimmon wine in general I'd
>love to hear about them.
>
>Also would you mind sharing your secret on removing the bitter nasties from
>unripe persimmons?
>
>Rick

.. .