Clinton Tull

Default Bentonite In Pear Wine

Hi,
I have 12 gallons of pear wine and i have tasted this and it has a
little after taste and i have a cloudy haze in the mix too. One
person said to add bentonite and finnings to this. What is to happen
and what can i do to get this wine crystal clear afterwards.

Thanks,

CLint
Negodki

"Clinton Tull" > wrote:

> I have 12 gallons of pear wine and i have tasted this and it has a
> little after taste and i have a cloudy haze in the mix too. One
> person said to add bentonite and finnings to this. What is to happen
> and what can i do to get this wine crystal clear afterwards.

You haven't told us how old the wine is, whether or not it is still
fermenting, how long it has been in the secondary, etc. Any wine will be
cloudy for up to a month after fermentation ends. By then it should have
cleared substantially. If it did not, you may wish to add something to help
it clear, or just wait for months or years until it clears naturally.

Pears have a lot of pectin in them, and the haze may be caused by that ---
especially if your recipe called for cooking the pears, or juice, or you
used a food processor to crush them. If there is a pectin haze, adding 100
ml of methanol (or denatured alcohol) to 30 ml of wine will cause jelly-like
clots or strings. If this happens, try adding a pectic enzyme.

Tannin can help a wine clear. If you did not ferment on the skins, try
adding some tannin --- or strong tea. Wait a few weeks to see if that helps.

Bentonite or sparkeloid can clear a protein haze. They are a bit complicated
to use, so follow the directions that come with them very carefully. Again,
wait about 10 days for results. Sometimes they are immediate, sometimes they
take time.

No idea what "finnings" are.

After the wine clears (by itself, or with the help of the above), you can
filter it to make it "crystal clear".

J Dixon

Negodki,
Just a correction- Sparkalloid is not used to remove Protein Hazes.
Sparkalloid is positively charged and attracts negatively charged particles.
Bentonite conversely is negatively charged and is primarily used for the
removal of Proteins. I often use both substances for fining together, but
for different purposes. HTH
John Dixon

"Negodki" > wrote in message
> "Clinton Tull" > wrote:
>
> > I have 12 gallons of pear wine and i have tasted this and it has a
> > little after taste and i have a cloudy haze in the mix too. One
> > person said to add bentonite and finnings to this. What is to happen
> > and what can i do to get this wine crystal clear afterwards.

> You haven't told us how old the wine is, whether or not it is still
> fermenting, how long it has been in the secondary, etc. Any wine will be
> cloudy for up to a month after fermentation ends. By then it should have
> cleared substantially. If it did not, you may wish to add something to

help
> it clear, or just wait for months or years until it clears naturally.
>
> Pears have a lot of pectin in them, and the haze may be caused by that ---
> especially if your recipe called for cooking the pears, or juice, or you
> used a food processor to crush them. If there is a pectin haze, adding 100
> ml of methanol (or denatured alcohol) to 30 ml of wine will cause

jelly-like
> clots or strings. If this happens, try adding a pectic enzyme.
>
> Tannin can help a wine clear. If you did not ferment on the skins, try
> adding some tannin --- or strong tea. Wait a few weeks to see if that

helps.

> Bentonite or sparkeloid can clear a protein haze. They are a bit

complicated
> to use, so follow the directions that come with them very carefully.

Again,
> wait about 10 days for results. Sometimes they are immediate, sometimes

they
> take time.
>
> No idea what "finnings" are.
>
> After the wine clears (by itself, or with the help of the above), you can
> filter it to make it "crystal clear".

Negodki

Thank you for the correction. I haven't used Sparkalloid yet, but thought it
to be an alternative for bentonite, because Jon Iverson's book so describes
it. In fact (I just looked it up), and he says (p. 49) "Like Sparkalloid,
bentonite attracts positively-charged particles..."

Won't be the first time there's been an error in a book.

. net...

Pear Wine Pavel314[_2_] Winemaking 0 12-09-2011 05:50 PM
pear wine bulka[_2_] General Cooking 16 28-09-2008 12:09 PM
Bentonite for my pomegranate wine Casey Wilson Winemaking 1 22-01-2007 11:40 AM
pear wine help alien Winemaking 4 22-10-2004 07:11 PM
Pear wine---pear brandy Nancree General Cooking 1 04-04-2004 06:53 AM