Joe

Default vinegar scent in primary fermentation

I have 15 gallons of Niagara in strong primary fermentation (5th day) and
now I can detect a scent of vinegar, not overwhelming but appreciable.

I recall having this situation a couple of years ago. I applied a strong
SO2 after fermenetation completed and cold stabilized. The resulting wine
had no appreciable vinegar smell or taste.

Should I be concerned that the vinegar bacteria can make it's way over to my
other fermentation in the same room? If the vinegar odor does not subside
should I abandon pressing rather than infect my press?

thanks

Joe

J Dixon

Joe,
I find it unlikely that you would have a Vinegar Bacteria growing in an
active ferment given the amount of CO2 that is being produced as the
bacteria requires Oxygen to grow. The exception could be if the must was
already turning to vinegar before you started it. Did you smell anything
before it got going? If not then finish the fermentation and then sulphite
and rack the wine over making sure to top up well and secure an airlock on
the Carboy etc. HTH
John Dixon
"Joe" > wrote in message
> I have 15 gallons of Niagara in strong primary fermentation (5th day) and
> now I can detect a scent of vinegar, not overwhelming but appreciable.
>
> I recall having this situation a couple of years ago. I applied a strong
> SO2 after fermenetation completed and cold stabilized. The resulting wine
> had no appreciable vinegar smell or taste.
>
> Should I be concerned that the vinegar bacteria can make it's way over to

my
> other fermentation in the same room? If the vinegar odor does not subside
> should I abandon pressing rather than infect my press?
>
> thanks
>
> Joe

Lum

"Joe" > wrote in message
> I have 15 gallons of Niagara in strong primary fermentation (5th day) and
> now I can detect a scent of vinegar, not overwhelming but appreciable.
>
> I recall having this situation a couple of years ago. I applied a strong
> SO2 after fermenetation completed and cold stabilized. The resulting wine
> had no appreciable vinegar smell or taste.
>
> Should I be concerned that the vinegar bacteria can make it's way over to

my
> other fermentation in the same room? If the vinegar odor does not subside
> should I abandon pressing rather than infect my press?
>
> thanks
>
> Joe

Joe, vinegar bacteria are endemic. They are everywhere. There is no need
to worry about "infecting" your press because it is already infected. Just
wash the press with clean water before use and immediately after use and it
will be fine.
lum

J Dixon

Lum,
Would you agree with my statement that is unlikely that the Vinegar
bacteria are "growing" in the actively fermenting must? Thanks,
John Dixon
"Lum" > wrote in message

> "Joe" > wrote in message
> > I have 15 gallons of Niagara in strong primary fermentation (5th day)

and
> > now I can detect a scent of vinegar, not overwhelming but appreciable.
> >
> > I recall having this situation a couple of years ago. I applied a

strong
> > SO2 after fermenetation completed and cold stabilized. The resulting

wine
> > had no appreciable vinegar smell or taste.
> >
> > Should I be concerned that the vinegar bacteria can make it's way over

> my
> > other fermentation in the same room? If the vinegar odor does not

subside
> > should I abandon pressing rather than infect my press?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Joe

> Joe, vinegar bacteria are endemic. They are everywhere. There is no need
> to worry about "infecting" your press because it is already infected.

Just
> wash the press with clean water before use and immediately after use and

it
> will be fine.
> lum

Lum

I agree John. Vinegar bacteria need oxygen to make acetic acid and an
active fermentation produces a reducing atmosphere. One possible exception
is when an high cap is not punched down for some time. Then the cap is
exposed to oxygen and can acetify.

"J Dixon" > wrote in message
. net...
> Lum,
> Would you agree with my statement that is unlikely that the Vinegar
> bacteria are "growing" in the actively fermenting must? Thanks,
> John Dixon
> "Lum" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Joe" > wrote in message
> > > I have 15 gallons of Niagara in strong primary fermentation (5th day)

> and
> > > now I can detect a scent of vinegar, not overwhelming but appreciable.
> > >
> > > I recall having this situation a couple of years ago. I applied a

> strong
> > > SO2 after fermenetation completed and cold stabilized. The resulting

> wine
> > > had no appreciable vinegar smell or taste.
> > >
> > > Should I be concerned that the vinegar bacteria can make it's way over

> > my
> > > other fermentation in the same room? If the vinegar odor does not

> subside
> > > should I abandon pressing rather than infect my press?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > Joe

> > Joe, vinegar bacteria are endemic. They are everywhere. There is no

need
> > to worry about "infecting" your press because it is already infected.

> Just
> > wash the press with clean water before use and immediately after use and

> it
> > will be fine.
> > lum

Joe

I did not notice any vinegar scent before fermentation but some of the fruit
was not too ripe.
Could that scent be malic acid at this time? Regardless it has subzided now
and is very faint.
I only push down the cap and stir twice a day.

Joe

"Lum" > wrote in message
> I agree John. Vinegar bacteria need oxygen to make acetic acid and an
> active fermentation produces a reducing atmosphere. One possible

exception
> is when an high cap is not punched down for some time. Then the cap is
> exposed to oxygen and can acetify.
>
> "J Dixon" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > Lum,
> > Would you agree with my statement that is unlikely that the Vinegar
> > bacteria are "growing" in the actively fermenting must? Thanks,
> > John Dixon

day)
> > and

appreciable.

> > strong

resulting
> > wine

over
> > > my

> > subside

> > > Joe, vinegar bacteria are endemic. They are everywhere. There is no

> need
> > > to worry about "infecting" your press because it is already infected.

> > Just
> > > wash the press with clean water before use and immediately after use

and
> > it
> > > will be fine.
> > > lum

Clyde Gill

> I did not notice any vinegar scent before fermentation but some of the

fruit
> was not too ripe.
> Could that scent be malic acid at this time? Regardless it has subzided

now
> and is very faint.
> I only push down the cap and stir twice a day.
>
> Joe

Not to alarm you Joe, but some malolactic bateria, especially wild ones, can
produce acetic acid under certain conditions (from sugar and/or citric acid,
I think).

One of the more troublesome consequences of this can be a stuck
fermentation. You might want to watch your RS closely.

clyde

Deadend

"Lum" > wrote in message >...

> Joe, vinegar bacteria are endemic. They are everywhere. There is no need
> to worry about "infecting" your press because it is already infected. Just
> wash the press with clean water before use and immediately after use and it
> will be fine.
> lum

Yes, I think a certain acidic smell to fermenting wine is normal.
Also, some folks confuse the acidity that gets in your nose from the
CO2 itself. I had a friend check out my fermentin wine once by opening
a fermenter and sticking his head all the way inside for a deep
inhale, and a shocking--burning surprise! He told me the wine was
spoiled, but I insisted that it was fine. I figured that he just got a
huge nose full of CO2 that burned like acid in his nose.

To comment on the press, I rent my presses right now, and so you never
know what the hell somebody before you might be doing, so I wash it
down liberally with a relatively mild sulfite/citric acid bath. Maybe
I'm overreacting, but, maybe not!

Regards,

Deadend