Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Is it possible to reduce ABV by heating a small portion of a high ABVwine?

I have a 16% dry red (a year old). I'm thinking maybe I can take a
small calculated portion of it, heat it lightly to evaporate the
alcohol, and after it cools return it to the demijohn. a small amount
of ~0% wine can reduce my 16% to 14.5% if it works.
Does this sound fisible, or is there a big gotcha somewhere?
raananh
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 15, 12:05*pm, wrote:
> I have a 16% dry red (a year old). I'm thinking maybe I can take a
> small calculated portion of it, heat it lightly to evaporate the
> alcohol, and after it cools return it to the demijohn. a small amount
> of ~0% wine can reduce my 16% to 14.5% if it works.
> Does this sound fisible, or is there a big gotcha somewhere?
> raananh

It should work, but:
a) you will have to add cold boiled water to the portion of heated
wine to replace the water and alcohol that has evaporated.
b) your wine may develop "cooked" flavours, even from mild heating.
c) you will have to be -very- careful not to introduce contamination.

You may be better off making a batch of low-alcohol wine for blending
purposes.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> b) your wine may develop "cooked" flavours, even from mild heating.

> You may be better off making a batch of low-alcohol wine for blending
> purposes.

I think it will taste cooked and you won't care for that. Take a
small sample and microwave it to boiling, let it cool and taste it.
It's not very good AFAIAC. Blending sounds better.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Joe Sallustio wrote:
>> b) your wine may develop "cooked" flavours, even from mild heating.

>> You may be better off making a batch of low-alcohol wine for blending
>> purposes.

> I think it will taste cooked and you won't care for that. Take a
> small sample and microwave it to boiling, let it cool and taste it.
> It's not very good AFAIAC. Blending sounds better.
>
> Joe

I worked at a kosher winery in California, where
we were required to pasteurize all kosher wines.
We took the wine to 170f then flash cooled it.
No flavor change..
Wino
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 15, 1:05*pm, wrote:
> I have a 16% dry red (a year old). I'm thinking maybe I can take a
> small calculated portion of it, heat it lightly to evaporate the
> alcohol, and after it cools return it to the demijohn. a small amount
> of ~0% wine can reduce my 16% to 14.5% if it works.
> Does this sound fisible, or is there a big gotcha somewhere?
> raananh

i wonder if vaccuum distilling might work, or freezing distillation

portion control T[_8_] Diabetic 1 04-05-2016 12:25 PM
Oxo portion scoops Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 36 23-03-2011 04:48 PM
Help! High Sugar, High pH, & High TA premium Cabernet Sauvignon must Darin Winemaking 10 19-11-2008 04:45 AM
Heating Element Safe After Small Oven Fire Swann General Cooking 5 02-10-2004 05:09 AM
When did oatmeal portion go from 1/3 c. to 1/2 c.? Carol Cohen General Cooking 50 25-01-2004 08:14 AM