Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.crafts.meadmaking

Default 2-Gallon Carboy

This year I once again came up against a situation where a 2-gallon carboy
would have been perfect for a specific batch. I seem to recall seeing them
offered by wine-making supply houses years ago but no longer. The only thing
I can find on the Web, other than plastic containers, is a 2-gallon glass
lemonade dispenser. Which would work, I suppose. Does anyone have a source
for 2-gallon carboys?

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.crafts.meadmaking

On Sep 30, 11:03*pm, "Pavel314" > wrote:
> This year I once again came up against a situation where a 2-gallon carboy
> would have been perfect for a specific batch. I seem to recall seeing them
> offered by wine-making supply houses years ago but no longer. The only thing
> I can find on the Web, other than plastic containers, *is a 2-gallon glass
> lemonade dispenser. Which would work, I suppose. Does anyone have a source
> for 2-gallon carboys?
>
> Paul

I've never seen one, I have the regular shaped 3 gallon and a few of
the squat 2.8's, I would just use a 4 liter and a 3 in your case, I
have a range of jugs. I get those from people who like jug wines and
restaurants; if you arrange to pick up the empties on a Friday or
Saturday you will probably be swimming in bottles and jugs....

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.crafts.meadmaking

Pavel314 > wrote:

> This year I once again came up against a situation where
> a 2-gallon carboy would have been perfect for a specific
> batch. I seem to recall seeing them offered by wine-making
> supply houses years ago but no longer. The only thing I
> I can find on the Web, other than plastic containers, is a
> 2-gallon glass lemonade dispenser. Which would work, I
> suppose. Does anyone have a source for 2-gallon carboys?

Never seen a 2-gal carboy. I purchased a 2-gal glass jar
from Target which works as a fermenter with a cheese cloth
over the top of it.

I have some 4-L wine jugs which are great for 1-gal batches.
You can get them from restaurants. The first two were $8
wines which I rebottled and gave away since I do not drink
wine.

Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.crafts.meadmaking

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
On Sep 30, 11:03 pm, "Pavel314" > wrote:
> This year I once again came up against a situation where a 2-gallon carboy
> would have been perfect for a specific batch. I seem to recall seeing them
> offered by wine-making supply houses years ago but no longer. The only
> thing
> I can find on the Web, other than plastic containers, is a 2-gallon glass
> lemonade dispenser. Which would work, I suppose. Does anyone have a source
> for 2-gallon carboys?
>
> Paul

I've never seen one, I have the regular shaped 3 gallon and a few of
the squat 2.8's, I would just use a 4 liter and a 3 in your case, I
have a range of jugs. I get those from people who like jug wines and
restaurants; if you arrange to pick up the empties on a Friday or
Saturday you will probably be swimming in bottles and jugs....

Joe

I have a similar variety of jugs and bottles, from 10-ounce screw-tops that
held Schwepp's tonic to the 4-liter. It would be easier and neater to have
one 2-gallon instead of two 1-gallons, although it probably doesn't matter
to the wine. Maybe I should think of this as an application of the maxim not
to put all my eggs in one basket.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.crafts.meadmaking

On Oct 2, 6:10*am, "Pavel314" > wrote:
> "Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message

> On Sep 30, 11:03 pm, "Pavel314" > wrote:
>
> > This year I once again came up against a situation where a 2-gallon carboy
> > would have been perfect for a specific batch. I seem to recall seeing them
> > offered by wine-making supply houses years ago but no longer. The only
> > thing
> > I can find on the Web, other than plastic containers, is a 2-gallon glass
> > lemonade dispenser. Which would work, I suppose. Does anyone have a source
> > for 2-gallon carboys?

> > Paul

> I've never seen one, I have the regular shaped 3 gallon and a few of
> the squat 2.8's, I would just use a 4 liter and a 3 in your case, I
> have a range of jugs. *I get those from people who like jug wines and
> restaurants; if you arrange to pick up the empties on a Friday or
> Saturday you will probably be swimming in bottles and jugs....
>
> Joe
>
> I have a similar variety of jugs and bottles, from 10-ounce screw-tops that
> held Schwepp's tonic to the 4-liter. It would be easier and neater to have
> one 2-gallon instead of two 1-gallons, although it probably doesn't matter
> to the wine. Maybe I should think of this as an application of the maxim not
> to put all my eggs in one basket.
>
> Paul

I have seen odd size carboys at second hand shops but they usually
want an arm and a leg for them...

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.crafts.meadmaking

Pavel314 wrote:

> This year I once again came up against a
> situation where a 2-gallon carboy would have
> been perfect for a specific batch. I seem to
> recall seeing them offered by wine-making supply
> houses years ago but no longer. The only thing
> I can find on the Web, other than plastic
> containers, is a 2-gallon glass lemonade
> dispenser. Which would work, I suppose. Does
> anyone have a source for 2-gallon carboys?
>
> Paul

This does not answer your question exactly but it
may help in the future. Presque Isle
(piwine.com) used to sell - perhaps they still do
sell - 3 liter jugs. 3 liters is less than a
gallon so is very useful in some cases. I find
that having 6 gallon, 5 gallon, 3 gallon, 1
gallon 1/2 gallon and 3 liter glassware fits my
needs pretty nicely. If I have any very small
amounts left over typically I will combine odd
lots from several batches and make a "vintage
blend" for that year - or do some very early
quality control :-) .
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

After searching forever for a 1.5 gallon jug/carboy, I finally found one on
EBay. Ya' might check there.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

Carboy Fermentation [email protected] Winemaking 2 30-09-2008 04:26 PM
carboy top off with CO2 [email protected] Winemaking 30 09-11-2006 11:19 PM
Carboy Tap David J. Winemaking 6 15-08-2005 02:55 AM
A six gallon kit in a ~5 gallon secondary fermenter Adam Preble Winemaking 4 29-04-2005 03:24 PM
Carboy and Sunlight Ken Anderson Winemaking 6 17-03-2004 01:36 PM