Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default corn sugar conversion

How many cups of corn sugar would equal a kg? I've been trying to google it
with no luck.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

On Feb 6, 12:21 am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
> How many cups of corn sugar would equal a kg? I've been trying to google it
> with no luck.

According to: http://joepastry.web.aplus.net/index.php?cat=17

1 cup of corn syrup = 11.5 ounces
There are 28.35g per ounce roughly.
11.5 * 28.35 = 326.025
So corn syrup weighs about 326.025g cup
Therefore 1KG = 3.1 cups of corn syrup...

I think thats about right. I cut the decimal places to 2 points each
stage!

HTH, Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dirty Harry wrote:
> How many cups of corn sugar would equal a kg? I've been trying to google it
> with no luck.

You've had no luck because there is no answer. Let's say you scoop sugar
into a one-cup container. Is that a cup of sugar? Now tap the container
on the counter and watch the level of sugar go down as the granules
compact. Is that still one cup of sugar? And so on.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"jim" > wrote in message
> On Feb 6, 12:21 am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
>> How many cups of corn sugar would equal a kg? I've been trying to google
>> it
>> with no luck.

> According to: http://joepastry.web.aplus.net/index.php?cat=17
>
> 1 cup of corn syrup = 11.5 ounces
> There are 28.35g per ounce roughly.
> 11.5 * 28.35 = 326.025
> So corn syrup weighs about 326.025g cup
> Therefore 1KG = 3.1 cups of corn syrup...
>
> I think thats about right. I cut the decimal places to 2 points each
> stage!
>
> HTH, Jim

Wow thanks for the quick responce, I'm about to try my luck at a beer kit
instead of vino today.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"romeomike" > wrote in message
> Dirty Harry wrote:
>> How many cups of corn sugar would equal a kg? I've been trying to google
>> it with no luck.

> You've had no luck because there is no answer. Let's say you scoop sugar
> into a one-cup container. Is that a cup of sugar? Now tap the container on
> the counter and watch the level of sugar go down as the granules compact.
> Is that still one cup of sugar? And so on

Yea, I'm just trying to get in the ball-park and then I'll double check it
with S.G.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

On Feb 6, 12:43 am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
> "romeomike" > wrote in message

> > Dirty Harry wrote:
> >> How many cups of corn sugar would equal a kg? I've been trying to google
> >> it with no luck.

> > You've had no luck because there is no answer. Let's say you scoop sugar
> > into a one-cup container. Is that a cup of sugar? Now tap the container on
> > the counter and watch the level of sugar go down as the granules compact.
> > Is that still one cup of sugar? And so on

> Yea, I'm just trying to get in the ball-park and then I'll double check it
> with S.G.

I thought you were referring to corn syrup when you asked, is corn
sugar dried and granulated?

Sorry if my reply was eroneous...
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"jim" > wrote in message
> On Feb 6, 12:43 am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:

>> > You've had no luck because there is no answer. Let's say you scoop
>> > sugar
>> > into a one-cup container. Is that a cup of sugar? Now tap the container
>> > on
>> > the counter and watch the level of sugar go down as the granules
>> > compact.
>> > Is that still one cup of sugar? And so on

>> Yea, I'm just trying to get in the ball-park and then I'll double check
>> it
>> with S.G.

> I thought you were referring to corn syrup when you asked, is corn
> sugar dried and granulated?
>
> Sorry if my reply was eroneous...

Actually it's powdered sugar.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message

> "jim" > wrote in message

>>> Yea, I'm just trying to get in the ball-park and then I'll double check
>>> it
>>> with S.G.

>> I thought you were referring to corn syrup when you asked, is corn
>> sugar dried and granulated?
>>
>> Sorry if my reply was eroneous...

> Actually it's powdered sugar.

So it's looking more like 7 or 8 cups lol.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

On Feb 6, 1:16 am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
> "Dirty Harry" > wrote in message

> >> I thought you were referring to corn syrup when you asked, is corn
> >> sugar dried and granulated?

> >> Sorry if my reply was eroneous...

> > Actually it's powdered sugar.

> So it's looking more like 7 or 8 cups lol.

Phew, hoorah for mike knowing what you meant better than I did
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dirty Harry wrote:

I'm about to try my luck at a beer kit
> instead of vino today.

What would you use a Kg of corn sugar for in making beer? Corn sugar in
home brewing is mostly used for carbonation after bottling. For a 5 gal.
batch of beer, 4 oz is typically used.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"romeomike" > wrote in message
> Dirty Harry wrote:
>
> I'm about to try my luck at a beer kit
>> instead of vino today.

> What would you use a Kg of corn sugar for in making beer? Corn sugar in
> home brewing is mostly used for carbonation after bottling. For a 5 gal.
> batch of beer, 4 oz is typically used.

It was the draught kit
http://www.hamiltonhopsandgrapes.com/Coopers%20Beer.htm its a concentrate
from a can so you have to add a lot more sugar.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dirty Harry wrote:
> "romeomike" > wrote in message
>> Dirty Harry wrote:
>>
>> I'm about to try my luck at a beer kit
>>> instead of vino today.

>> What would you use a Kg of corn sugar for in making beer? Corn sugar in
>> home brewing is mostly used for carbonation after bottling. For a 5 gal.
>> batch of beer, 4 oz is typically used.

> It was the draught kit
> http://www.hamiltonhopsandgrapes.com/Coopers%20Beer.htm its a concentrate
> from a can so you have to add a lot more sugar.

OK, I would suggest you use the dried malt extract instead of corn sugar
with the canned extract. You will get a maltier beer that will be OK.
Check out rec.crafts.brewing
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"romeomike" > wrote in message
> Dirty Harry wrote:
>> "romeomike" > wrote in message
>>> Dirty Harry wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm about to try my luck at a beer kit
>>> What would you use a Kg of corn sugar for in making beer? Corn sugar in
>>> home brewing is mostly used for carbonation after bottling. For a 5 gal.
>>> batch of beer, 4 oz is typically used.

>> It was the draught kit
>> http://www.hamiltonhopsandgrapes.com/Coopers%20Beer.htm its a concentrate
>> from a can so you have to add a lot more sugar.

> OK, I would suggest you use the dried malt extract instead of corn sugar
> with the canned extract. You will get a maltier beer that will be OK.
> Check out rec.crafts.brewing

Well I usually go with a higher quality kit that comes in a box and all you
have to add is water but I saw this in the store for 11 bucks and I couldn't
resist lol. We'll see how it turns out. I had a quick taste pre-yeast and
it tasted like it would be fairly flavourful.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 6, 1:29 am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
> "romeomike" > wrote in message

> > Dirty Harry wrote:

> >> It was the draught kit
> >>http://www.hamiltonhopsandgrapes.com...%20Beer.htmits a concentrate
> >> from a can so you have to add a lot more sugar.

> > OK, I would suggest you use the dried malt extract instead of corn sugar
> > with the canned extract. You will get a maltier beer that will be OK.
> > Check out rec.crafts.brewing

> Well I usually go with a higher quality kit that comes in a box and all you
> have to add is water but I saw this in the store for 11 bucks and I couldn't
> resist lol. We'll see how it turns out. I had a quick taste pre-yeast and
> it tasted like it would be fairly flavourful.

You got good advice on not using sugar, I don't think you are going to
like that. You could make less as an option too. In my experience
3/4 cup corn sugar weighs about 5 ounces. I make beer too and we
never use sugar in primary but we like heavier beer. It's my
understanding using too much sugar can lead to cidery tastes.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Joe Sallustio wrote:
It's my
> understanding using too much sugar can lead to cidery tastes.
>
> Joe

The consensus at rec.crafts.brewing has been that sugar doesn't really
add cidery tastes, but adding it to the fermenter just increases alcohol
content without adding any beneficial flavor profile. It makes for a
drier beer.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 6, 10:55 am, romeomike > wrote:
> Joe Sallustio wrote:
>
> It's my
>
> > understanding using too much sugar can lead to cidery tastes.

> > Joe

> The consensus at rec.crafts.brewing has been that sugar doesn't really
> add cidery tastes, but adding it to the fermenter just increases alcohol
> content without adding any beneficial flavor profile. It makes for a
> drier beer.

Well then that is what I would go with, they have never steered me
wrong. I was a little surprised at how good a beer made at home could
taste. I'm probably making a stout and porter this weekend; I'm
almost out of beer...

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Joe Sallustio wrote:
I was a little surprised at how good a beer made at home could
> taste. I'm probably making a stout and porter this weekend; I'm
> almost out of beer...
>
> Joe

Not only that, you can make better beer than you can buy, and you can
make it to your taste. Don't allow yourself to get out of homebrew!
Cheers. :-)

Corn Sugar Question cruciverbalist General Cooking 11 08-02-2013 10:33 PM
Sugar free kettle corn? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 4 11-08-2011 01:46 AM
Icing vs Corn Sugar Winemaking 3 30-05-2006 10:07 PM
Where can I find corn sugar?? JM Winemaking 2 13-02-2005 12:56 AM
WHEAT,BEET SUGAR,CANE SUGAR,YELLOW CORN,MILK POWER,etc. krzysiek Marketplace 0 02-03-2004 09:33 PM