Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default How often to top off a barrel

Hi,

How much ullage is ok to have in a barrel? Am I doing more harm than
good checking it every week?

Thx,

Ange
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 20, 9:05 am, Jumbalaya > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How much ullage is ok to have in a barrel? Am I doing more harm than
> good checking it every week?
>
> Thx,
>
> Ange

I've heard recently from a commercial winemaker that he tops up every
2-3 weeks. He is concerned that if he opens it too often, he is
exposing it to more O2. So that is about what I do now.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

The least ullage you can create is best. Assuming you have adequate
temperature control, you won't see any expansion or contraction of the
wine due to temp fluctuation.

When my wines are still early (first few weeks after first racking) I
check them every couple days by nose to ensure nothing bad is
happening. But now, with the wines two or more months into aging, I
open them up about once every 2 to 4 weeks - again, to check by nose as
well as to top up.

On 2007-12-20 07:02:17 -0800, said:

> On Dec 20, 9:05 am, Jumbalaya > wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How much ullage is ok to have in a barrel? Am I doing more harm than
>> good checking it every week?
>>
>> Thx,
>>
>> Ange

> I've heard recently from a commercial winemaker that he tops up every
> 2-3 weeks. He is concerned that if he opens it too often, he is
> exposing it to more O2. So that is about what I do now.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> But now, with the wines two or more months into aging, I
> open them up about once every 2 to 4 weeks - again, to check by nose as
> well as to top up.
>
> > I've heard recently from a commercial winemaker that he tops up every
> > 2-3 weeks. He is concerned that if he opens it too often, he is
> > exposing it to more O2.

That sounds about right to me too. I would make sure I used a really
tight bung too; I got rid of the wooden one. A well sealed bung will
actually create a partial vacuum. I wish i could get my hands on a
small silicone one but i use a rubber one now. I have a tiny barrel,
5 gallons. I just don't rotate mine.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Jumbalaya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How much ullage is ok to have in a barrel? Am I
> doing more harm than good checking it every
> week?
>
> Thx,
>
> Ange

I check mine every week usually on a Sunday
afternoon. The small amount of exposure is no
worse than letting it go several weeks and
finding you have quite a bit of air space and
have to add quite a bit more to fill.

I keep a spray bottle of SO2 on hand and spritz
the bung area and top of the wine when I top up
also.

Others, obviously have different opinions.

barrel top up [email protected] Winemaking 4 29-08-2006 02:36 AM
barrel Dirty Harry General Cooking 4 02-06-2006 05:28 AM
MLF in barrel RD Winemaking 7 22-01-2006 01:33 PM
VA in a barrel ss Winemaking 14 14-03-2005 03:28 PM
Barrel Question Paul E. Lehmann Winemaking 3 11-10-2004 06:04 AM