Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default sulfite test kit help needed

I bought one of those titrets kits. After it turns dark blue i
continue to add juice as directed and can never get it back to the
original color - as directed. The color change I do get is so gradual
that it is hard to determine an end point. It is definitely not as
easy as a titration. please help.

marc

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
RD RD is offline

I can't help you with Titrets but I'll volunteer that I now use the
Accuvin free SO2 tests. They are easy and work with both red and
white wines. I found Titretes too difficult to use for reds. The
Accuvin kits only have a 4 month shelf life so if you buy them make
sure you're getting a fresh one.

RD

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I bought one of those titrets kits. After it turns dark blue i
> continue to add juice as directed and can never get it back to the
> original color - as directed. The color change I do get is so gradual
> that it is hard to determine an end point. It is definitely not as
> easy as a titration. please help.
>
> marc

If the color is remaining blue-ish and you've added wine/must to the ampule
beyond where it would read 20ppm, you don't have adequate sulfite in the
wine/must. Add some as appropriate to the volume you're dealing with and
re-test. I've found that even with darkly colored wines like blackberry I
can see the endpoint, You're looking for the color to return to that of the
liquid being tested.

Cal

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 19, 11:56 am, wrote:
> I bought one of those titrets kits. After it turns dark blue i
> continue to add juice as directed and can never get it back to the
> original color - as directed. The color change I do get is so gradual
> that it is hard to determine an end point. It is definitely not as
> easy as a titration. please help.
>
> marc

You must let it rest for about 30 seconds if you aren't sure. If you
go too fast you'll get a false reading.

I assume you're doing red wines? White wines are very easily seen...
and if yours never change back you may have the wrong sulfite test
kit. They make some that go up to 500ppm- you want the one that goes
0-100ppm.

try taking a spent sulfite test and stirring in some sulfite... see if
that gets it clear for you.

Diabetic TEST STRIPS needed - $10 RN Diabetic 0 18-04-2009 01:34 AM
Sulfite [email protected] Winemaking 0 30-04-2007 10:48 PM
Avid home cooks needed to test recipes for upcoming book [email protected] General Cooking 7 17-11-2006 02:44 PM
Volume of must or volume of expected juice for calculating sulfite/acid/yeast needed marc Winemaking 10 02-10-2006 11:21 PM
Too Much Sulfite David J. Winemaking 0 06-04-2005 03:46 PM