Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Typical primary fermentation time for red wines?

I will have a 50gal drum of red must
Preferred amount of yeast
Preferred amount of nutrient
Punch the cap down twice a day
Ferment around 80 F

3 days 5 days 7 days 10 days?

Just looking for what I should expect.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I think you should expect something between 3 days and 10. :-)

Even knowing the grape variety, the yeast variety, etc. it would be
difficult (and pretty pointless) to try to predict precisely how long
"fermentation" should last. With a nice warm temp. like 80F, assuming
adequate nutrients, etc., I would expect in most cases the really
vigorous fermentation would be over in 5 to 7 days. I've had a few
that finished in about 3 (once they got going). If it takes longer
than 10 days, I'd start to be a bit concerned. Anywhere in that
range, though, is just fine. It takes as long as it takes. If the
yeast are happy and doing their job, don't worry about it.

Doug

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 9, 9:45 pm, homebrewdude > wrote:
> I will have a 50gal drum of red must
> Preferred amount of yeast
> Preferred amount of nutrient
> Punch the cap down twice a day
> Ferment around 80 F
>
> 3 days 5 days 7 days 10 days?
>
> Just looking for what I should expect.

I did a 7 gallon batch of plum wine. 70deg temps. 4 days. I think it
might depend a bit on type of yeast and type of aplication. Mine was
lavin kv1 1116, two packets, mixed in about a cup of juice from the
must, 16 hours after campden and such had been added. went from 1.100
to 1.030 in 4 days. split into two secondaries, one which now reads
0.990 and has stopped bubbling, about 6 days after. willl wait about
another week before i rack, as a lot of solids are still floating and
other primary still is perking.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 9, 10:45 pm, homebrewdude >
wrote:
> I will have a 50gal drum of red must
> Preferred amount of yeast
> Preferred amount of nutrient
> Punch the cap down twice a day
> Ferment around 80 F
>
> 3 days 5 days 7 days 10 days?
>
> Just looking for what I should expect.

A good rule of thumb on yeast is 1gm/gallon, nutrients are all
different see their literature.

Joe