Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Cleaning Carboys

I have a few carboys that over the years have some lime or film residue
inside. Clorox or CLR won't remove it. Does anyone know what I could try to
clean these up with?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Sand. Thow some sand in there with the cleaner and shake well. Also
letting the carboy sit for a day full of bleach water might do it.

Bob

Steve Sauchinitz wrote:
> I have a few carboys that over the years have some lime or film residue
> inside. Clorox or CLR won't remove it. Does anyone know what I could try to
> clean these up with?
>

> Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sand. Thow some sand in there with the cleaner and shake well. Also
> letting the carboy sit for a day full of bleach water might do it.
>
> Bob
>

> Steve Sauchinitz wrote:
>> I have a few carboys that over the years have some lime or film residue
>> inside. Clorox or CLR won't remove it. Does anyone know what I could try
>> clean these up with?
>>

>> Steve

If bleach wouldn't remove the residue, try some hydrochloric (muriatic)
acid. Just don't mix it with any other chlorine-containing chemicals to
avoid release of free chlorine. HCl is the main ingredient in scale
removing products for bathroom (porcelain, glass) surfaces and it works
well. Get it from building supply store in tile/grout area, pool supply
store, etc. Neutralize with baking soda, keep it out of your eyes and off
your skin when concentrated.

Cal

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Make a strong solution of "Pink Stuff".....enough to fill the carboy
and leave it over night. It should do the trick. If you have a yellow
"sediment" in the morning then you know it has done the job.

carboys Tater Winemaking 5 13-07-2007 12:58 AM
PET carboys and steeping Adam Preble Winemaking 22 12-12-2005 06:29 PM
Plastic carboys? Steve Thompson Winemaking 11 02-08-2005 08:27 PM
Plastic Carboys Andie Z Winemaking 0 17-07-2005 01:55 PM