uhoh, something is not working right - plum wine

Old 03-09-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default uhoh, something is not working right - plum wine

pitched the yeast in yesterday, not a bubble today, what should i
start looking for?

when should the fermentation start showing itself?

I think that I may have killed the yeast during storage, I like my
soda cold. just checked temp of fridge and it is 35 degrees. yeast
came with the kit in march(too long?)

holiday today, so I am sure the shop wont be open. nearest wine shop
over an hours drive. I'd hate to go just to get yeast, but might have
to.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Tater:

Your multitude of postings are confusing, wasting bandwidth and
difficult to keep track of.

All of your various questions and comments could/should be in one
topic called 'Tater's Plum Wine' for instance. Then we will all have
one single thread to follow and reply too, thus creating a coherent
DISCUSSION about your plum wine.

How about everthing going in 'starting first batch of plum wine' and
abandoning the rest of this shotgun mess, eh?

If you have a new topic such as "Tater's New Vineyard" then it could
go in a NEW thread for a DISCUSSION about your new vineyard.

Get the idea?

Take Care
Steve
Oregon

Old 03-09-2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

eewww that was harsh, sounded like a scolding. Didn't intend to be so
grouchy!

Dude, just make one thread ok?

Steve
Oregon

Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim

I have had fermentations which took 4 days to start in earnest - I
really wouldnt worry after less than 24 hours. I think your storage
temperature should be fine too really. Some here may disagree, but I
think you should give it a little longer before panicking...

Jim

Old 04-09-2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I agree with the above thoughts in the thread (including keeping one
thread) - some of my yeasts never did very much bubbling, and sometimes
it takes 72 hours - so hang in there.

DAve

Old 04-09-2007, 05:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 3, 8:01 am, Tater wrote:
pitched the yeast in yesterday, not a bubble today, what should i
start looking for?

when should the fermentation start showing itself?

I think that I may have killed the yeast during storage, I like my
soda cold. just checked temp of fridge and it is 35 degrees. yeast
came with the kit in march(too long?)

holiday today, so I am sure the shop wont be open. nearest wine shop
over an hours drive. I'd hate to go just to get yeast, but might have
to.

A whole years plums would make me worry too. Fresh made wines from our
own produce are very special. I hope we see a new post in the morning
saying you have at least "whispy spiral galaxies" of bubbles on the
surface! Be consoled that fortune could be worse...my prickly pear
juice from this years harvest just exploded out of the jar , when my
stand-alone freezer malfunctioned. I didnt lose all I have harvested
and processed. It can always be worse, and most early stalls are
easily restarted, there is lots of sugar on hand for greedy little
yeasties!

Good luck!

Sean