measuring acidity

Old 02-09-2007, 05:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default measuring acidity

ok, my titration kit measures acid levels in % as expressed in
tartaric, while one of my books refer to it in ppt. how do i convert?
My plum wine was high in acidity .90% tartaric but i then applied a
different recipie (more water,less fruit) and that allowed it to drop
to .70%.

the box the test kit came in said that fruit wines should be around .
60% with white grapes as high as .75%

i could drop it even more, just by adding more water, sugar, etc. but
then I woudl need to split it into two primaries, and dividing the
fruit in the straining bag would be complicated. I might need to
anyway as I think I have a bit too much in the singe primary to avoid
foaming over.

Currently waiting for the camden to let out before i pitch the yeast,
so I have a few hours before i decide to do anything.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim

I'd also be interested in the formular for converting between % and
ppt. I use fermcalc http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermc...lc_applet.html
to automate the process but have no idea of the maths.

There are other alternatives for the primary too of course:

You could simply remove some excess fluid once dilution is complete
and ferment it in a separate bucket/demijohn or chuck it if needs be.

Or if the primary is truly at risk of foam over, you could put the lid
on it between stirrings and fit a blow off tube in a bung to the lid.
This tube then takes the foam and gas away from the primary and into a
bowl of water below with plenty of headspace. That maintains airlock
while allowing gas to escape with foam. That way you get to keep
things where they are and not get too much mess. Some people will
shake their heads at the idea of sealing the primary but I have used
this method in an emergency and the fermentation completed
successfully without mess.

Jim