Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
hap hap is offline

Default de-stemming elderberries

Came up with a pretty good way to de stem those little ederberries.
After a few weekends of trial and error the process below is what I
came up with. Probabally this was discovered before, so I'm not
applying for a patent, just figured I'd share

- when picking the clusters pull off large stalks
- put all clusters into a large container or bucket
- cover with cold water by several inches
- leave for an hour. This makes the bugs float up to the top and
maybe softens the stems.
- wash off the bugs
- reach in and gently grab a double handfull of stems.
- gently roll them like a pizza dough, the berries fall back into the
water. Don't press too hard you'll smash to many berries.
- repeat until all/most berries are destemed
- in the bucket/container the ripe berries will sink and the unripe
will float for the most part
- scoop off the floating berries with a strainer
- drain off water for the remaining berries

good luck with dem berries,
hap

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"hap" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Came up with a pretty good way to de stem those little ederberries.
> After a few weekends of trial and error the process below is what I
> came up with. Probabally this was discovered before, so I'm not
> applying for a patent, just figured I'd share
>
> - when picking the clusters pull off large stalks
> - put all clusters into a large container or bucket
> - cover with cold water by several inches
> - leave for an hour. This makes the bugs float up to the top and
> maybe softens the stems.
> - wash off the bugs
> - reach in and gently grab a double handfull of stems.
> - gently roll them like a pizza dough, the berries fall back into the
> water. Don't press too hard you'll smash to many berries.
> - repeat until all/most berries are destemed
> - in the bucket/container the ripe berries will sink and the unripe
> will float for the most part
> - scoop off the floating berries with a strainer
> - drain off water for the remaining berries
>
> good luck with dem berries,
> hap

Hap,

Good idea. I comb them off the bush then sift through hardware cloth.
Details at:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rbfarm/eldrpick.html

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Paul:

The shield shaped bug on your site is commonly called a stink bug.
Nasty little things. Don't get them excited, just let them leave!

Steve
Oregon

>Pavel314" > wrote:
>Hap,
>
>Good idea. I comb them off the bush then sift through hardware cloth.
>Details at:
>
>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rbfarm/eldrpick.html
>
>Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
hap hap is offline

I didn't know the yellow stuff came from the stems. I've got some
froze with some stems, might give the hardware cloth trick a shot with
them frozen. Yea ditto on the stink bugs. Don't kill them, nasty.

Holunder (Elderberries?) Margaret Suran General Cooking 10 30-08-2005 04:31 AM
Elderberries -- please help! jacqui{JB} Preserving 6 05-10-2004 03:31 PM
Harvesting elderberries Richard Kruse Winemaking 9 25-08-2004 07:39 AM
Elderberries Dar V Winemaking 4 16-08-2004 10:04 AM
elderberries William R. Watt Preserving 17 28-10-2003 05:47 AM