Does anyone stir durring primary fermentation?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Does anyone stir durring primary fermentation?

There is a layer of foam on top of a cranberry wine I'm making that's been
there for 2 days. Usually I'm finding this foam only lasts about a day for
most of my kits (this one isn't a kit). Am I at a risk of something growing
on top with all this foam? I didn't put any bentonite in at the start,
should I have? Is it ok to stir the foam in? Thanks.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On May 4, 4:02 pm, "Dirty Harry" wrote:
There is a layer of foam on top of a cranberry wine I'm making that's been
there for 2 days. Usually I'm finding this foam only lasts about a day for
most of my kits (this one isn't a kit). Am I at a risk of something growing
on top with all this foam? I didn't put any bentonite in at the start,
should I have? Is it ok to stir the foam in? Thanks.

Sure, you can stir or just swirl if the container is small enough to
wobble. Nothing to clean if you wobble the container. I doubt the
foam is any different exposure wise than the wine.

Joe

Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I stir my cranberry wine during fermentation 2 times a day, foam or no foam,
and I usually flip my bag of fruit too. Since I cover my fermentation
container with plastic wrap and use a rubberband to hold it down; I don't
worry about stuff growing in it. I don't use bentonite during fermentation.
Good-luck.
Darlene

Old 05-05-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Dirty Harry" wrote in message
There is a layer of foam on top of a cranberry wine I'm making that's been
there for 2 days. Usually I'm finding this foam only lasts about a day
for most of my kits (this one isn't a kit). Am I at a risk of something
growing on top with all this foam? I didn't put any bentonite in at the
start, should I have? Is it ok to stir the foam in? Thanks.

Thanks guys, I guess I'm just used to the foam going away after a few days.
Cheers

Old 06-05-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It seems to kind of depend on the type of wine you're making and the yeast
one uses...I'm sure one of others who's really into the "science" could tell
us why. I do know that some types of yeasts are low foam while others are
high foam...is this your first non-kit wine, and did you use juice or
ferment on fruit?