Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A Humble Request for Thought [Long]

I've been contacted by a TV producer of some renown. He has proposed that he
produce a television series with me on wine. I've been mulling this generous
offer over for some long time, and have decided to pursue it. I'm planning on
an upcoming lunch meeting, to see just what he has in mind. In our preliminary
discussion, he was just throwing out the idea, to see if I would be
interested.

I do not know how, or even if, things will progress on this. My interest in
such a project has increased, the more I have considered the initial offer.
Now, I need some help. Will everyone send me US$10,000.00 in small, unmarked
bills? NO! This is not the type of help I need, though maybe it wouldn't hurt,
at least at the start. What I DO need are some thoughts from the NG as to what
would make an interesting wine-oriented television program for YOU.

I've seen many, most in the OK range, a few very good, and only a very few
that were not either entertaining, or informative. Probably the best, in my
experience, was Spencer Christian's Wine Cellar. There were several episodes
taped, and I think I have seen most, at least twice. For those who do not
recognize the name, Spencer Christian was the weather person on one of the
major US network's early morning news programs. I have to admit that I had
never seen him, nor did I know of him (my wife did), when his program aired on
Home & Garden TV in the US, many years ago. We received this program on
Saturday afternoons. I caught maybe eight episodes, before the network began
re-running them. I'd guess they spanned a two year period, judging solely by
the vintages that were tasted. The Food Network picked up this program and I
caught only a few new episodes, and mostly re-runs. The format was often a
lighter wine-travel piece, often to a winery, or region, internationally.
Several wines were presented and discussed by Christian, and there was often a
guest sommelier on-hand for this segment. Usually Harvey Steiman and Jim Laube
(The Wine Spectator) would have a more analytical tasting segment near the end
of the program. Sometimes, the wines and travel would be themed, but more
often they did not directly relate to each other. I became a fan of this
program and campaigned to the Food Network, in vain, when he was replaced by
two episodes of Emeril Live, back-to-back. The only complaint that I had, was
that there was never a line-up of what would be tasted on the program. I'd
have gathered a few bottles of the same, or very similar wines, Haut-Brion,
Stag's Leap, whatever, though a more recent vintage in all probability, and
sipped along, even at 1:00 PM on a Saturday afternoon.

In the US, PBS (Public Broadcast System) did a two-part (?) series, Wine 101
with the actor David Hyde-Pierce. I had not expected much, but found this to
be an entertaining, and informative series. Part of it might have been Hyde-
Pierce's delivery, but the program was well produced and didn't "talk down" to
wine geeks, such as myself, at all. I have not caught John Cleese's wine
series, but hear that it is also very entertaining.

What I would request from you is a little thought. If you were to be presented
with a television program focused on wine, what would YOU find entertaining,
enlightening, worth watching, enjoyable? What would make you grab that bottle
and a couple of glasses and plop down in front of a TV set and how could such
a program entertain and enlighten you? How could such a program entertain you
and your spouse? Omitting such things as very good production values, etc.
what would it take for you to recommend a televised wine program to your
friends, your family, your neighbors? What would you NOT like to see? What
would turn you off from a wine program? Personally, I enjoyed hearing the
discussions on the attributes, and short-comings of the wines that Steiman and
Laube were tasting, but didn't really need to see them spit, and then the
numerical values were a bit of a turnoff. The discussions were all I cared for
in that/those segment(s).

I would like to think that anything I would be a part of would be directed to
the demographic represented by most of this NG - folk who know quite a bit
about wine, always want to know more, enjoy it at many levels and work very
hard to find wines that offer them the greatest pleasure and enjoyment. Now,
it could turn out that some "bean-counter" someplace, might decide that there
are not enough serious, or at least semi-serious wine afficionados out there
in TV land. If it came down to doing something for the "lowest common
denominator," then I don't think I would be able to fit into the scheme - I
ain't no David Hyde-Pierce, or John Cleese.

I am also hoping that, with the international nature of this NG, some of you
can also relate programs on wine outside of the US, that might provide a basis
for thought. I assume that this project would be somewhat geo-centric to the
US Southwest, but do not know that yet.

Please, at your convenience, give my request for input some thought. Nothing
may ever come of this, but if it does, it is people, such as yourselves, to
whom I'd want to tailor any production.

Thanks for your time, and for your thoughts.

Hunt, he ain't no Hyde-Pierce or Cleese.

Posted to alt.food.wine

(Hunt) writes:

> I've been contacted by a TV producer of some renown. He has proposed that he
> produce a television series with me on wine. I've been mulling this generous
> offer over for some long time, and have decided to pursue it. I'm planning on
> an upcoming lunch meeting, to see just what he has in mind. In our preliminary
> discussion, he was just throwing out the idea, to see if I would be
> interested.
>
> I do not know how, or even if, things will progress on this. My interest in
> such a project has increased, the more I have considered the initial offer.
> Now, I need some help. Will everyone send me US$10,000.00 in small, unmarked
> bills? NO!

Pfft! Lucky I'm not drinking any wine at the moment.

> This is not the type of help I need, though maybe it wouldn't hurt,
> at least at the start. What I DO need are some thoughts from the NG as to what
> would make an interesting wine-oriented television program for YOU.

I'm an irregular reader here, but have several thoughts.

I would be most interested in programs profiling individual regions or
individual varietals.

Especially in programs concentrating on wines for those of us who
aren't starting at $45 per bottle. So perhaps not featuring Napa or
Bordeaux, but featuring, say, the wines of Alsace or the Loire. Or
Oregon Pinots or New Zealand Rieslings. Or chenin blancs. Or sherry.

It would be nice to see individual wineries visited and individual
wines tasted which are examples of good values between (say) $10 and
$30. Watching TV shows about wine is hard, because you can't smell
or taste what is being discussed, but discussing characteristics
particular to the varietal or to the region is interesting.

Within such guidelines, what makes for good TV? I think if you bribe
the winemakers to eat maggots, and reward the vintner who consumes the
most maggots...

Seriously, many wine regions are quite beautiful (including the
examples I mentioned above). Certainly some part of making good TV is
the travelogue aspect. Some part is showing the vines and the
wine-making and the winery. Some part is local food and how the wine
is combined with that.

OK, that was my fantasy about the high-budget wine TV show _I'd_ like
to make. A low budget fantasy involves tasting moderately priced (my
$10 to $30 guideline) wine and pairing it with food. Commenting on
what works well, what doesn't and why.

To make this into a TV show, one might want to cook the food on the
show - I don't know.
Posted to alt.food.wine

I did a proposal about 20 years ago for local PBS: Concept was to let
viewers know what we were going to taste in advance so they could taste
along with us. Besides tasting, we'd have a segment on grape varieties,
visits with winemaker. To be honest all the local PBS wanted was to somehow
get Parker on the air. Never happened.
"Hunt" > wrote in message
> [...]

> ain't no David Hyde-Pierce, or John Cleese.
>
> I am also hoping that, with the international nature of this NG, some of

you
> can also relate programs on wine outside of the US, that might provide a

basis
> for thought. I assume that this project would be somewhat geo-centric to

the
> US Southwest, but do not know that yet.
>
> Please, at your convenience, give my request for input some thought.

Nothing
> may ever come of this, but if it does, it is people, such as yourselves,

> whom I'd want to tailor any production.
>
> Thanks for your time, and for your thoughts.
>
> Hunt, he ain't no Hyde-Pierce or Cleese.
>
> --
> NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hunt wrote:
> I've been contacted by a TV producer of some renown. He has proposed that he
>snip

Well, I think first you have to decide what you're doing the show for,
and more importantly *who* you're doing the show for.

If its soley for your own entertainment, do what you like. If you'd like
it to rate, you have to consider who you want to pitch it to.

I find more and more there are short segments on other shows that are
sort of "Wine for beginners" type things. Lifestyle shows etc.

There is a massive and growing market for ppl who want to learn about
wine but wouldn't buy a book or spend too much time on it. Wine 101
guides, good ones, are gold.

Personally, I quite enjoyed say that John Cleese show [I know I know
you're no John Cleese] where he went to a few Californian places. That
was light and refreshing. I learnt maybe one or two things, but wine
novices would find a few interesting things.

However, although I enjoyed it, I found it wasn't really anything of a
wine course, more a pleasant hour or two looking at wineries etc.

There was a show on SBS television called the Wine Lover's Guide To
Australia: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188375/ , not so long ago.

That wasn't bad. I think you can buy it, but its $$$$, coz I looked into it.

Jancis Robinson's Wine Course I didn't mind. In places it was pretty
dull though, and it really wasn't all that informative. But again, it
was nice to see the countryside etc.

I think the most important thing is to develop a target audience. That
will help a lot in formulating the whole thing.

I personally would like pretty much a bit of everything. Not centred on
any one region or country, with tastings, food matching, price, maybe
some funny anecdotes. You could probably bypass the need for basic
explanations by doing it as a "pop-up", you know a little bubble
graphic, although that might annoy some ppl.

I say not centred on one region or country, but I assume it will be made
in America, so you'd have to target that audience.

I think if its too high-brow you'll have a very small audience, and I
think a lot of wine quasi-experts would avoid it anyway. But on the
otherhand you don't want it *too* stoopid.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Personally, I think formatting it liked a themed X vs Y tasting would
capture a lot of wine lovers attention.

For example, one show could explore the differences between California
Cabernet and Left bank Bordeaux. Tuscany vs Piedmont. German Riesling
vs Alsace Riesling. Northern Rhone and Australian Shiraz. Even
different vintages from the same region.

You could talk about different laws and wine making techniques for the
different regions, look at the range of prices then have a panel that
tasted some examples and (plainly) discussed the similarities and
differences.

Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sounds interesting....
Another idea. Look into making wines @ home. Alot of people make their own
wines. They are very impressive and can compete with the best of commercial
wines. Personally I belong to the South Jersey Winemakers and we meet
monthly at someone's home. There we discuss various wines and processes. And
of course, tastings.
Tom

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

"Hunt" > wrote in message
> [...]
> ain't no David Hyde-Pierce, or John Cleese.
>
> I am also hoping that, with the international nature of this NG, some of
> you
> can also relate programs on wine outside of the US, that might provide a
> basis
> for thought. I assume that this project would be somewhat geo-centric to
> the
> US Southwest, but do not know that yet.
>
> Please, at your convenience, give my request for input some thought.
> Nothing
> may ever come of this, but if it does, it is people, such as yourselves,
> whom I'd want to tailor any production.
>
> Thanks for your time, and for your thoughts.
>
> Hunt, he ain't no Hyde-Pierce or Cleese.
>
> --
> NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hunt wrote:
> What I DO need are some thoughts from the NG as to what
> would make an interesting wine-oriented television program for YOU.

[...]

> What I would request from you is a little thought. If you were to be presented
> with a television program focused on wine, what would YOU find entertaining,
> enlightening, worth watching, enjoyable? What would make you grab that bottle
> and a couple of glasses and plop down in front of a TV set and how could such
> a program entertain and enlighten you? How could such a program entertain you
> and your spouse? Omitting such things as very good production values, etc.
> what would it take for you to recommend a televised wine program to your
> friends, your family, your neighbors? What would you NOT like to see? What
> would turn you off from a wine program? Personally, I enjoyed hearing the
> discussions on the attributes, and short-comings of the wines that Steiman and
> Laube were tasting, but didn't really need to see them spit, and then the
> numerical values were a bit of a turnoff. The discussions were all I cared for
> in that/those segment(s).

Interesting question, Hunt. Personally, I would like to see a program
that focuses on wines *other* than the usual suspects (Napa/Sonoma Cabs
& Chards, Bordeaux) and maybe takes a look at lesser-known regions and
grapes. I think it's also important to not get too bogged down on
specific wines, given the usual problems with availability and the
possible time lag between taping and airing. Some things I think would
be fun to see:

The wines of Alsace
How to understand German wines
Austrian wines
What else you can find from NZ besides Sauvignon Blanc
lesser known areas of CA (Paso Robles, Santa Barbara, Amador, El Dorado)
The wines of Oregon
The wines of the Loire Valley
Going Beyond Nouveau in Beaujolais

Also, knowing of your interest in food, I think a segment on how to
choose wine to go with food could be a very interesting feature. Again,
ideally it would be more about general principles than particular
matches. You could have a small "tasting panel" assembled for each
episode to give different views on the same wines or wine/food combinations.

> I would like to think that anything I would be a part of would be directed to
> the demographic represented by most of this NG - folk who know quite a bit
> about wine, always want to know more, enjoy it at many levels and work very
> hard to find wines that offer them the greatest pleasure and enjoyment. Now,
> it could turn out that some "bean-counter" someplace, might decide that there
> are not enough serious, or at least semi-serious wine afficionados out there
> in TV land. If it came down to doing something for the "lowest common
> denominator," then I don't think I would be able to fit into the scheme - I
> ain't no David Hyde-Pierce, or John Cleese.

That's always a danger, Hunt, but it never hurts to shoot for the stars.
Also, in my *very* limited experience, producers will respond best to
people who have a genuine vision about what they want to do. In
essence, your ability to sell your vision to them is what they use to
gauge how well you can sell it to the general public.

Have fun!
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4 Apr 2006 23:45:57 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

>I've been contacted by a TV producer of some renown. He has proposed that he
>produce a television series with me on wine. I've been mulling this generous
>offer over for some long time, and have decided to pursue it. I'm planning on
>an upcoming lunch meeting, to see just what he has in mind. In our preliminary
>discussion, he was just throwing out the idea, to see if I would be
>interested.
>
>I do not know how, or even if, things will progress on this. My interest in
>such a project has increased, the more I have considered the initial offer.
>Now, I need some help. Will everyone send me US$10,000.00 in small, unmarked
>bills? NO! This is not the type of help I need, though maybe it wouldn't hurt,
>at least at the start. What I DO need are some thoughts from the NG as to what
>would make an interesting wine-oriented television program for YOU.

Need a broken down fighter pilot, free-lance writer, wino to help?

Seriously, there is a place for a creative wine show, but it would
take some serious front-end $$ to make it worthwhile. Recently I've
seen a series in Hi-Def on Australian wines and a series with Andrea
Immer on wine tasting/pairings.

The Oz series went traveling around the region, visiting different
wineries and meeting the growers. Good travelogue sort of style and
one that showcased a lot of labels--some familiar and some not. Easy
to watch and informative.

Immer's show, OTOH, was a drop in once and skip next time event.
Boring!

That being said, I think you need a variety format. Don't pattern the
series in one format such as winery or tasting or varietal. Rather you
should bring a concentration of focus to a different area for each
show. Certainly there should be some regional coverage in which you
tour and teach about a region such as Loire, Beaujolais, Piemonte,
Oregon, etc. (I agree with someone's suggestion about lesser regions
over the big B's of France or the Napa/Sonoma axis.)

Then you could do some production coverage--steel vs oak, capped or
not, malolactic something or other whatzit do, etc. Objective would be
increased understanding of what the gobbly-de-gook on labels means.

Visit some major collectors or restaurant cellars and learn how they
collect and what. Contrast large and small operations, etc.

Do some pairings--don't get too specific but rather offer generic
views so guys in Whitesboro TX can find suitable wines as well as
those in NYC and LA and Paris.

Interview some wine makers, wine writers, wine teachers, etc. Show
what it takes to become a Master Sommelier.

Get the idea?

I'm available for consultation, but I ain't cheap!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus wrote:

> Interview some wine makers, wine writers, wine teachers, etc. Show
> what it takes to become a Master Sommelier.

Hey, this puts me in mind of an interesting idea for the program: "Hunt
Does Alt.Food.Wine" :P Basically, he travels around the world, visiting
the alt.food.wine crowd and spending an evening drinking good wines and
eating good foods. The viewers get to vicariously experience all the
great wines and foods and we get to live large. How's about it?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
says...

>On 4 Apr 2006 23:45:57 GMT,
(Hunt) wrote:
[SNIP]

>Need a broken down fighter pilot, free-lance writer, wino to help?
>
>Seriously, there is a place for a creative wine show, but it would
>take some serious front-end $$ to make it worthwhile. Recently I've
>seen a series in Hi-Def on Australian wines and a series with Andrea
>Immer on wine tasting/pairings.
>
>The Oz series went traveling around the region, visiting different
>wineries and meeting the growers. Good travelogue sort of style and
>one that showcased a lot of labels--some familiar and some not. Easy
>to watch and informative.
>
>Immer's show, OTOH, was a drop in once and skip next time event.
>Boring!
>
>That being said, I think you need a variety format. Don't pattern the
>series in one format such as winery or tasting or varietal. Rather you
>should bring a concentration of focus to a different area for each
>show. Certainly there should be some regional coverage in which you
>tour and teach about a region such as Loire, Beaujolais, Piemonte,
>Oregon, etc. (I agree with someone's suggestion about lesser regions
>over the big B's of France or the Napa/Sonoma axis.)
>
>Then you could do some production coverage--steel vs oak, capped or
>not, malolactic something or other whatzit do, etc. Objective would be
>increased understanding of what the gobbly-de-gook on labels means.
>
>Visit some major collectors or restaurant cellars and learn how they
>collect and what. Contrast large and small operations, etc.
>
>Do some pairings--don't get too specific but rather offer generic
>views so guys in Whitesboro TX can find suitable wines as well as
>those in NYC and LA and Paris.
>
>Interview some wine makers, wine writers, wine teachers, etc. Show
>what it takes to become a Master Sommelier.
>
>Get the idea?
>
>I'm available for consultation, but I ain't cheap!
>

>Ed Rasimus
>Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
>"When Thunder Rolled"

www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

I'm responding to Ed's post directly, as it was the last in the thread this
AM, but am responding generically to all who have given me help and thoughts!
Excellent - I've been making notes all morning, thankful for Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v.
Man, that makes steno easy.

Thank you, thank you. This is what I had hoped for and more.

Ed, first a question for you: As I head to Google, do you happen to recall
Immer's show's title. I'm a big fan of her books and really like her
philosophy on wine-tasting, learning, pairing, etc. Did not know that she had
done TV spot(s).

I'm also off to try and track down the OZ show for review. I've only heard of
the Cleese bit, but will try and get a copy too. Being a Cleese fan, I'm
surprised that I don't already have that one.

I want to have a pocketful of ideas, before the preliminary meetings begin. I
am sure that the producer has a few more to share. I'll put myself in his
hands on the demographics issues, as he obviously knows what "sells." I,
obviously do not.

I've also started feelers with some of my wino buddies, to see what they think
would work. One, who has a cookbook writing, TV cooking show-appearing wife,
should be especially useful. She's done a ton of TV work, and much of it in
this market. While I ASSUME that the show would be geo-centric, to a point, I
could be very wrong there. Regardless, the Phoenix market is fairly
cosmopolitan, since everyone is from someplace else, and most of their homes
are 2nd, 3rd, etc.

I really like all of the ideas, so far, and hope that the responders, and many
others, will add their thoughts. After all, as I stated, I see this NG's
subscribers as the "bull's-eye" on the demographic dart board, with the outer
rings representing the extended "masses." If I can't score with you guys (and
gals!), then I'm likely to miss the outer rings too.

I'll keep you abreast of the talks, if they proceed, and run ideas past you
for comment.

Again, thank you all very, very much!!!

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:10:00 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Ed Rasimus wrote:
>
>> Interview some wine makers, wine writers, wine teachers, etc. Show
>> what it takes to become a Master Sommelier.

>Hey, this puts me in mind of an interesting idea for the program: "Hunt
>Does Alt.Food.Wine" :P Basically, he travels around the world, visiting
>the alt.food.wine crowd and spending an evening drinking good wines and
>eating good foods. The viewers get to vicariously experience all the
>great wines and foods and we get to live large. How's about it?
>
>Mark Lipton

If he's got the money, I've got the time. Living large is what I'm all
about!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5 Apr 2006 15:12:22 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

>Ed, first a question for you: As I head to Google, do you happen to recall
>Immer's show's title. I'm a big fan of her books and really like her
>philosophy on wine-tasting, learning, pairing, etc. Did not know that she had
>done TV spot(s).

Her show is titled "Simply Wine"

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/simpl..._15098,00.html

I confess to channel surfing through and not giving her a fair trial,
but she was simply too "Katy Couric"-cute for my taste. She was
tasting a wine then describing the info on the label. Might have been
a bit too elemental. Needed a broader range to appeal to BOTH newbies
and experienced types.

>I'm also off to try and track down the OZ show for review. I've only heard of
>the Cleese bit, but will try and get a copy too. Being a Cleese fan, I'm
>surprised that I don't already have that one.

Not the show I saw, but an example of the eclectic approach to topics
for a TV show (and coincidentally from OZ):

http://www.offthevine.com.au/

>I've also started feelers with some of my wino buddies, to see what they think
>would work. One, who has a cookbook writing, TV cooking show-appearing wife,
>should be especially useful. She's done a ton of TV work, and much of it in
>this market. While I ASSUME that the show would be geo-centric, to a point, I
>could be very wrong there. Regardless, the Phoenix market is fairly
>cosmopolitan, since everyone is from someplace else, and most of their homes
>are 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Didn't realize you were in PHX. Will be passing through in May and
again in July, stopping to visit with old friend and PHX entrepreneur,
Mike Dillon (Dillon Precision/Dillon Aero).

Got the dish on where the best restaurants are currently? I last lived
in PHX in 1970, so it's unlikely that my favorites will still be
around. I suspect The Stockyard Inn is long gone, but Monte's in Tempe
is probably still as mediocre as ever.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
says...

(Hunt) wrote:

>>Ed, first a question for you: As I head to Google, do you happen to recall
>>Immer's show's title. I'm a big fan of her books and really like her
>>philosophy on wine-tasting, learning, pairing, etc. Did not know that she

had
>>done TV spot(s).

>Her show is titled "Simply Wine"

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/simpl..._15098,00.html

>I confess to channel surfing through and not giving her a fair trial,
>but she was simply too "Katy Couric"-cute for my taste. She was
>tasting a wine then describing the info on the label. Might have been
>a bit too elemental. Needed a broader range to appeal to BOTH newbies
>and experienced types.

I bookmarked this site. I've also found her "Complete Wine Course" on DVD and
placed an order. I'll check out more on this URL.

>>I'm also off to try and track down the OZ show for review. I've only heard

of
>>the Cleese bit, but will try and get a copy too. Being a Cleese fan, I'm
>>surprised that I don't already have that one.

>Not the show I saw, but an example of the eclectic approach to topics
>for a TV show (and coincidentally from OZ):
>
>http://www.offthevine.com.au/

Again, bookmarked for later research - thanks.

>>I've also started feelers with some of my wino buddies, to see what they

think
>>would work. One, who has a cookbook writing, TV cooking show-appearing wife,
>>should be especially useful. She's done a ton of TV work, and much of it in
>>this market. While I ASSUME that the show would be geo-centric, to a point,

>>could be very wrong there. Regardless, the Phoenix market is fairly
>>cosmopolitan, since everyone is from someplace else, and most of their homes
>>are 2nd, 3rd, etc.

>Didn't realize you were in PHX. Will be passing through in May and
>again in July, stopping to visit with old friend and PHX entrepreneur,
>Mike Dillon (Dillon Precision/Dillon Aero).

The name, Mike Dillon, sounds familiar. Maybe from my wife's Greater Phoenix
Leadership group, or similar. She travels in the "movers/shakers" circles, and
I get to tag along and sip the wines at the events and galas - really not that
bad of a life!

>Got the dish on where the best restaurants are currently? I last lived
>in PHX in 1970, so it's unlikely that my favorites will still be
>around. I suspect The Stockyard Inn is long gone, but Monte's in Tempe
>is probably still as mediocre as ever.

I've got several that I highly recommend. We usually try to get to the "hot,
new ones," though after the crowds have thinned a bit. I'm not into the "see/
be seen" thing, and only care about what's happening out of the kitchens. Can
I connect with you through your Web site? I'll head over there now and poke
around. Depending on exactly when in May you are here, I'd love to take to you
a favorite, or two. May will be getting very busy on a personal level, but
there ought to be sometime in there. Will drop you an e-mail.

>Ed Rasimus
>Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
>"When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TV & Wine was A Humble Request for Thought [Long]

There's a guy named Phillips who does a wine show for PBS---his underlying
message is wine is fun. There was little covered that appealed to me but
that's not the target audience.

About 20 years ago-- a local station did a 10 minute piece for the 11
O'clock news on wine. This was done at Boordy, three wines were poured and
I spoke about 90 seconds on each. A fly suddenly landed in the Reporter,
Rudi Miller's glass of blush. The camera kept rolling as she screamed
"what's that thing doing in my wine?" I said "the backstroke" This was live
so they cut to a commercial rather than showing everyone on & off camera
laughing.

"Wine Lover" > wrote in message
> On 4 Apr 2006 23:45:57 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:
>
> >I've been contacted by a TV producer of some renown. He has proposed that

he
> >produce a television series with me on wine. I've been mulling this

generous
> >offer over for some long time, and have decided to pursue it. I'm

planning on
> >an upcoming lunch meeting, to see just what he has in mind. In our

preliminary
> >discussion, he was just throwing out the idea, to see if I would be
> >interested.
> >

> RIGHT NOW the foodnetwork is showing their 'Next Foodnetwork
> Superstar' series, watch and record it and watch several times. The
> thrust is what it take to make it, what have the producers learned it
> takes to bring an audience back.
>
> It's your personallity that is the show, not the wine.
>
> Bill

http://www.oregonwineconnection.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hunt,
good luck with this. I'll offer no advice, as the surest way to have no
audience is to gear it towards the geeks!

Posted to alt.food.wine

(Hunt) wrote in :

> Uh-oh, I smell trouble brewing then! I'll have a look. I tried to
> locate some of the Spencer Christian episodes on tape/DVD from either
> HGTV, or Food Network, where they aired, but no luck.

I don't know if this will help, but it seems that there is a *radio* show,
with previous shows available he
http://www.vino.com/media/

I liked Joe's concept of pre-announcing the wines and tasting them, isn't
that sort of what those WSJ folks do? And add some food pairing ideas to
that?

I think you should find out what demographic the producer is looking for;
as nice as in depth reports would be, it would be very easy to garner cries
of "Wine Snobs!" from TV critics and the general public...

hth...d.
Posted to alt.food.wine

All good responses with which I agree... I would add that I would like to
see some visits to wineries in Europe, other places. I admit to being
intimidated by smaller wineries ( the ones with bottled wines here, next the
bulk wines, and the spigots last are not a problem...) and don't know how
to approach them in France, Portugal, Italy, etc... I think there are lots
of us winos getting on and having time and money to travel and send some
back, but need to feel comfortable approaching a smaller, high quality
winery...

I know Rasimus isn't cheap, but I am...

1920's Humble Tamale Pie Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 7 14-12-2013 03:44 AM
ED CONRAD DONE IN BY HUMBLE PIE Intrepid[_3_] Baking 0 04-10-2012 03:34 PM
Elevating the Humble Pickle Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 6 20-09-2011 08:16 PM
humble introduction cj5 Tea 6 11-09-2006 09:54 AM
Slightly OT-Humble yet proud stark General Cooking 10 31-07-2006 10:32 PM