Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default Oldest wine you´ve ever bought?

Hello;
The last day we spent in Nice last week, a courier rang the door and
delivered my catches from the recent iDealWine auction. In a sturdy box was
the Oldest wine I ever bought - a C de Layon from 1949 (we are the same
age). I hope it is in drinking condition, although I have a back-up bottle.
It may be - no doubt it has both acidity and sugar in plenty, and mayhap
oak. We´ll see on Nov 25th.
It is not the most expensive bottle, that still remains the Moulin Tuchais
1959 I bought for the inheritance of old cousin Astrid (may she rest in
peace, poor thing)

This leads me to the question: what is the oldest wine YOU have ever bought?
Not counting sherries frpm soleras started in 1830, I somehow think that is,
if not cheating, at least playing with a gently stacked deck of cards ...

So out with it. Tell me about that undrinkable bottle of Mouton-Cadet 1937,
or the Beaujolais Noveau saved by your grandfather for a special occasion -
or a 1947 Petru.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> Hello;
> The last day we spent in Nice last week, a courier rang the door and
> delivered my catches from the recent iDealWine auction. In a sturdy box was
> the Oldest wine I ever bought - a C de Layon from 1949 (we are the same
> age). I hope it is in drinking condition, although I have a back-up bottle.
> It may be - no doubt it has both acidity and sugar in plenty, and mayhap
> oak. We´ll see on Nov 25th.
> It is not the most expensive bottle, that still remains the Moulin Tuchais
> 1959 I bought for the inheritance of old cousin Astrid (may she rest in
> peace, poor thing)
>
> This leads me to the question: what is the oldest wine YOU have ever bought?
> Not counting sherries frpm soleras started in 1830, I somehow think that is,
> if not cheating, at least playing with a gently stacked deck of cards ...
>
> So out with it. Tell me about that undrinkable bottle of Mouton-Cadet 1937,
> or the Beaujolais Noveau saved by your grandfather for a special occasion-
> or a 1947 Petru.

All of my older wines were bought at auctions many years ago before the
price of many such wines climbed into the stratosphere.

The oldest is either a 1791 or 1809 Constantia. It could not be
determined for certain which bin the bottle came from. My oldest true
vintage Madeira is a 1827 Bual from Quinta do Serrado. My oldest
Spanish wine is a Castillo Ygay Rioja 1925 from Marques de Murrieta. My
oldest US wine is a 1968 Cabernet Sauvignon from Martin Ray. My oldest
Port is Cockburn's 1908. The oldest Tokaj is a 1827 which may be either
Essencia or Aszu-Essencia. The oldest Tokaji know to be true Essencia
is my 1888 Baron Beust Tallya Negyalya Estate that was imported into
the UK in 1938 by Berry Bros.The Italian is a 1964 Bertani Amarone. The
oldest German is a 1949 Rauenthaler Baiken TBA from the state. The
oldest French is a 1914 Clos de Gamot Cahors. The oldest Loire is
Moulin Touchas 1949. The oldest Burgundy is DRC La Tache 1959. The
oldest Bordeauxs are Ch. Latour 1945 and Ch. Mouton-Rothschild 1945.

Age does not always correlate with value, however. My 1978, 1985, and
1990 Romanee-Conti likely would all bring more, often much more, at
auction that the older wines mentioned above. A possible exception
would be the 1945 Mouton, which could well bring as much, or more, than
the Romanee-Conti at auction, depending on how much competing bidders
wanted it..

Posted to alt.food.wine
Jose

Of course, to be fair, state the year you bought them too.

Jose
Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:

> This leads me to the question: what is the oldest wine YOU have ever bought?
> Not counting sherries frpm soleras started in 1830, I somehow think that is,
> if not cheating, at least playing with a gently stacked deck of cards ...

Our oldest purchase was Jean's (on two occasions) of the '59 Meyney (my
birth year). Perhaps someday we'll be wealthy enough to afford a more
prestigious '59, but I doubt it...

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:

> Our oldest purchase was Jean's (on two occasions) of the '59 Meyney (my
> birth year). Perhaps someday we'll be wealthy enough to afford a more
> prestigious '59, but I doubt it...

Your birth year of 1959 is a good one for a wine lover. I bought a case
of 59 Yquem in the early 60s at about US$11. per bottle - quite a high
price for a wine then. It still is drinking very well, and I am sure I
could not afford to buy it today. There are also many outstanding reds
from Bordeaux and Burgundy that are still holding well, but they are
extremely expensive for the best ones. Also Germany made many very rich
wines including many TBAs, and the best of these still are drinking
well. Just be happy that you are not as old as I am. I would gladly
exchange many bottles of old wine for less age for myself, were that
possible.

Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Betsy's a '59 too, but none of my lowball bids have worked so far.

Oldest bottle I've bought is a '55 Vallana Spanna- was quite good,
though I was sick when we opened it and could only spit.

I'm a '60, and have bought several Ports from that year.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Chris Sprague

The oldest wine I've bought is a lowly 1975 Gruaud-Larose. I'm still
only 4 years out of college, and my fascination and appreciation of
wine is greater than my budget for it. However, I tend to spend a lot
less on trips, photography, and all of my other interests during
Maine's 7-month long winter, and therefore tend to budget more for
wine. Note my posting history he I always post a lot more in the
winter.

A local shop has a bottle of 1925 Maury that I've had my eyes on for
awhile. $220 price tag. I do not remember the producer. However,
when I spoke to the shop owner about this, it sounded rather
intriguing.

- Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

> skrev i meddelandet
ups.com...
<snip>

Hello ...
If any, I´d make a bid for the 1949 Mouin Touchais (for obvious reasons) ...

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine
bijoudog

My oldest, that my wife got for me, remains my birth year Moulin Touchais
(1959). Maybe when I'm fifty, perhaps . . .

David

"Chris Sprague" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The oldest wine I've bought is a lowly 1975 Gruaud-Larose. I'm still
> only 4 years out of college, and my fascination and appreciation of
> wine is greater than my budget for it. However, I tend to spend a lot
> less on trips, photography, and all of my other interests during
> Maine's 7-month long winter, and therefore tend to budget more for
> wine. Note my posting history he I always post a lot more in the
> winter.
>
> A local shop has a bottle of 1925 Maury that I've had my eyes on for
> awhile. $220 price tag. I do not remember the producer. However,
> when I spoke to the shop owner about this, it sounded rather
> intriguing.
>
> - Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Pronay

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

> what is the oldest wine YOU have ever bought?

Barolo 1937 Giacomo Borgogno, acquired in Italy. I also could have
bought a Chianti Brolio 1923, but it was standing uprght, has lost
its colour (looked klike a white wine), the colour probably having
clamped in the bottom like pieces of coal or black truffles. Never
had seen such a thing before or again.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt

In article >, nils.
says...

>Hello;
>The last day we spent in Nice last week, a courier rang the door and
>delivered my catches from the recent iDealWine auction. In a sturdy box was
>the Oldest wine I ever bought - a C de Layon from 1949 (we are the same
>age). I hope it is in drinking condition, although I have a back-up bottle.
>It may be - no doubt it has both acidity and sugar in plenty, and mayhap
>oak. We´ll see on Nov 25th.
>It is not the most expensive bottle, that still remains the Moulin Tuchais
>1959 I bought for the inheritance of old cousin Astrid (may she rest in
>peace, poor thing)
>
>This leads me to the question: what is the oldest wine YOU have ever bought?
>Not counting sherries frpm soleras started in 1830, I somehow think that is,
>if not cheating, at least playing with a gently stacked deck of cards ...
>
>So out with it. Tell me about that undrinkable bottle of Mouton-Cadet 1937,
>or the Beaujolais Noveau saved by your grandfather for a special occasion -
>or a 1947 Petru.
>
>Cheers
>
>Nils Gustaf

Taylor '48 Vintage Port. Purchased many years before, to be served at my
wife's 50th. Excellent, though a touch below the Taylor '63 IMO. Even with a
fabulous meal, wonderful guests, and a grand occasion, I judged my '63 to just
edge it out for MY best Port experience. Oldest consumed: 1893 Leacock
Madeiria - also wonderful. Oldest currently owned: '63 Taylor, Graham, Croft,
Warre, Quinta Noval. Only Taylor has been tasted by me.

Hunt