Default White wine with peaches?

Years ago on Capri, we were served carafes of white wine with fresh,
sliced peaches in the carafe. It was excellent wine, and the peaches
were great too. As I recall we were served pretty much the same thing
at a few different restaurants. Can someone venture a guess as to what
wine this might have been, and also what wine that's readily available
in the US (perhaps a California wine) would work well served this way?
Your guess is better than mine, which is why I'm asking! Thanks.

Jose

> Years ago on Capri, we were served carafes of white wine with fresh,
> sliced peaches in the carafe.

More on the two buck chuck level I suppose, but many years ago I had
fresh peach pie with house chablis at Marie Callender's - very
interesting combination, one which surprised me at the time.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>The classic Bellini is peaches (white peaches only please, best if they
>have a pinkish pulp like in Venice or in Provence) put through the
>blender and poured in a glass, with prosecco wine added on top. You can
>also use any white sparkler, including a not-too-expensive champagne.
>Makes a very nice fresh summer drink.
>
>I am afraid the white peaches are at the end of their season in this
>hemisphere, too sour by now. Wait till next summer.

I don't know what hemisphere you are in, but here in CA even though the
season has been going on for a long time I am still finding lots of sweet
white peaches for cheap.

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>I'm in the eastern hemisphere ;-)
>
>OK, so you are lucky... where in CA are you? I'm in CA in three weeks
>time...

I'm in Southern California and large white peaches are $1.99/lb
(conventionally grown). I've been eating a lot of them and also white
nectarines. Unfortunately for you, I have a feeling that 3 weeks is too
long from now to be able to get them at their peak (and at their
cheapest).

Dimitri

Martin Field

http://www.alsopreview.com/columns/col_australia.htm
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Years ago on Capri, we were served carafes of white wine with fresh,
> sliced peaches in the carafe. It was excellent wine, and the peaches
> were great too. As I recall we were served pretty much the same thing
> at a few different restaurants. Can someone venture a guess as to what
> wine this might have been, and also what wine that's readily available
> in the US (perhaps a California wine) would work well served this way?
> Your guess is better than mine, which is why I'm asking! Thanks.

Can't help you with that one - but here is a yarn about a delicious dish
featuring peaches and fortified muscat

Cheers!
Martin

Cliffy's Muscat Peaches

It was a few years back and we'd gone to Booths Taminick
Cellars (Glenrowan, Victoria, Australia) to buy wine and to chat to Cliff
Booth. He sold us a huge tray of
peaches, labelled as 'seconds' for $7.00. They were the biggest, juiciest,
oozingest, most luscious examples of that fruit it has ever been my pleasure
to slurp. We ate some fresh and bottled the rest and have never forgotten
them. Or Cliff.

I met Julie Booth, Cliff's granddaughter, recently and she promised to send
me Cliff's peach recipe.
Julie writes, 'Gramps [Cliff] liked to keep it simple so he would just get
some of our fresh ripe peaches and put them into a glass bowl and cover them
with muscat. Then marinate them in the fridge overnight. Gramps always said
it
was the best breakfast you'd ever have. I personally prefer them at dinner
with some cream. I have adapted his recipe a bit and this is my favourite
way
to serve them.

'You need one peach per person and about a bottle and a half of muscat -
half for the recipe and the
rest to serve with them and some sugar. Peel the peaches and cut them in
half.
Sprinkle about half a tablespoon of castor sugar into the well in the middle
of each peach half. Pour a tablespoon and a bit of Muscat into the well
also. Place
the peaches on a baking tray or in muffin cups and bake in a hot oven until
the Muscat and sugar caramelise together and form a syrup and the peaches
soften. Serve with pure cream with
vanilla bean seeds mixed through or vanilla bean ice-cream and a glass of
muscat on the side.'

[Note. Use fresh peaches where possible, tinned ones might work. The muscat
of course should come from
Booths.]

Emery Davis

On 25 Aug 2005 12:47:34 +0200, Santiago > said:

]
] >
] > I'm in Southern California and large white peaches are $1.99/lb
] > (conventionally grown). I've been eating a lot of them and also white
] > nectarines. Unfortunately for you, I have a feeling that 3 weeks is too
] > long from now to be able to get them at their peak (and at their
] > cheapest).
] >
] >
] > Dimitri
] >
]
] It is interesting to see the meaning of cheap fruit in different parts of
] the world. I have just bought 1 kilo (a bit more than 2 lb) by 1,40 euros.
] Nectarines can be even cheaper currently.
]

About the same in France now, good white peaches from the Drome are
at 2 EU for 3 pounds. (The lb is still used in the market -- une livre -- but
means 500 gms). Same for nectarines.

Just for interest, what is a non-conventionally grown peach? Hydroponic?

Our young peach tree yielded its first crop this year: 2 nice white ones!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Mark Lipton

Emery Davis wrote:

> About the same in France now, good white peaches from the Drome are
> at 2 EU for 3 pounds. (The lb is still used in the market -- une livre -- but
> means 500 gms). Same for nectarines.
>
> Just for interest, what is a non-conventionally grown peach? Hydroponic?

Emery, in the US "conventional" is used in opposition to "organic" to
designate growing practices.

> Our young peach tree yielded its first crop this year: 2 nice white ones!

Congrats!

Mark Lipton
D. Gerasimatos

In article > ,
Santiago > wrote:

>It is interesting to see the meaning of cheap fruit in different parts of
>the world. I have just bought 1 kilo (a bit more than 2 lb) by 1,40 euros.
>Nectarines can be even cheaper currently.

You don't want to know what we pay for cherries then. However, I've seen
your gasoline prices!

Dimitri

White Peaches Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 35 25-08-2015 09:58 PM
White vs yellow peaches Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 36 21-08-2011 11:19 PM
white peaches sf[_9_] General Cooking 22 18-08-2010 05:12 PM
REC: (For when summer comes along) White Peaches PeterL[_7_] General Cooking 0 05-02-2009 11:09 PM
White Nectarines & Peaches??? Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 11 28-08-2008 08:12 PM