Default The Chemistry of a 90+ Wine (NYT)

(This was forwarded to me without the URL, so here's the whole thing.
IMHO, McCloskey sounds like a soulless, anal-retentive wine fascist. I
can't wait to hear his take on sex. -- JJ)

The Chemistry of a 90+ Wine
By David Darlington, New York Times

One day last September while Leo McCloskey was driving to the
Chappellet winery in Napa Valley, he telephoned a client in the
neighboring valley of Sonoma. ''I'm looking at your metrics,''
McCloskey said. ''They're pretty beefy. If you have that at midferm,
you're already there. You need 50 percent as a 4; I think
drain-down-sweet is the name of the game this year. Let's do what they
do at Lafite -- come out shy of tannin, and we'll add tannin. I want
to encourage you to move more aggressively than you normally would.''

He listened for a few seconds. ''You're golden,'' McCloskey said.

''Beautiful -- you got a statue in the quad. Hey, I gotta fly.'' He
ended the call and turned to me. ''If you're in Sonoma, you have to
rearrange Mother Nature to match the beauty of Napa and Bordeaux,'' he
said. ''Napa cabernet is the only New World wine ruler that's being
used internationally. Sonoma is an also-ran.''

McCloskey steered onto the Silverado Trail, entering into Stags Leap,
the area that produced the cabernet sauvignon that won a famous Paris
tasting in 1976, heralding the international arrival of California
wine. ''They picked too early,'' McCloskey said, gazing at acres of
grapeless vines on both sides of the road. ''We have a weekly online
bulletin that tells people when to pick. On Sept. 13 we said not to,
and people who picked anyway drained down at 87.1.''

McCloskey could say this because his company, Enologix, takes grape
samples from clients and extracts the juice to measure some of its
chemical compounds. Then, using software developed by McCloskey,
Enologix compares the chemistry of the projected wines with that of a
benchmark example. The outcome is a score on a 100-point scale,
analogous -- not coincidentally -- to those employed by critics like
Robert Parker of The Wine Advocate and James Laube of Wine Spectator.
McCloskey boasted that his ''thinking is in tune with Parker, Laube
and Helen Turley'' -- the latter a California winemaker notorious for
favoring big, fruity, intense wines.

Not everyone shares this taste, however. Many oenophiles argue that --
owing especially to the influence of Parker, who has been called the
planet's most powerful critic of any kind, in any field -- wines all
over the world have become more and more homogenous. The jammy, oaky
international style is largely free of the tannins that mellow and
lend flavor as a wine ages but can make it taste bitter or astringent
when young. Yet these wines often lack a sense of terroir, or regional
distinctiveness, celebrated by so many wine aficionados. Parker's most
lamented impact is his popularization of the 100-point scale that is
now employed by most wine magazines. The so-called Score has been
described as America's main contribution to the wine business: a
democratic, no-nonsense way of jettisoning the elitist jargon that
veils quality from the consumer. It is also maligned for turning wine
buyers into mindless puppets and vintners into sycophants seeking the
favor of King Parker and King Laube.

But Leo McCloskey is unfazed. ''The wine world is so big today that
without ratings it would be chaos,'' he says. ''The consumer doesn't
need to know about terroir. He just wants to know whether a wine is
worth $28 or whatever he's paying for it.''

In the 15 years since McCloskey went into business for himself as a
wine consultant, the number of California wineries has increased from
800 to 1,700, roughly speaking. The market share of foreign-made wines
in the United States has doubled over the same period. With so many
wineries now under the bottom-line control of corporations --
Constellation, Bronco, Beringer Blass, Brown-Forman, Kendall-Jackson,
Diageo, the Wine Group and the longtime kingpin, E. & J. Gallo -- it
is easy to see the appeal of Enologix, with its promise of ''metrics
that assist winemakers in . . . boosting average national critics'
scores.'' But McCloskey doesn't stop there. He insists that
high-scoring wines can, through chemical analysis, be scientifically
proved to be the best wines on the market. In other words, there is
accounting for taste.

The low-slung Enologix offices are situated in a mini-business-park in
the town of Sonoma. When I visited McCloskey there, he said that he
has a database containing records of 70,000 wines, including
information about soil, climate, prices, winemaking techniques,
grape-growing practices and critical scores. While traditional wine
science focuses mainly on primary chemicals -- things like sugar,
alcohol and acidity, which determine whether a wine meets basic
standards of acceptability -- McCloskey looks at secondary chemicals
(like terpenes, phenols and anthocyanins), which, in affecting more
nuanced characteristics like texture, aroma, taste and color, are more
closely associated with quality.

To analyze an individual wine, Enologix runs a sample through a liquid
chromatograph (and for white wine, a mass spectrometer) to separate
and measure chemical compounds. McCloskey says he has identified about
100 that can affect a person's response; to compute a wine's ''quality
index,'' the ratios -- not just the amounts -- of these compounds to
one another are compared with those of bottled wines previously judged
and scored by groups of vintners, growers, owners and critics.
McCloskey publishes his findings in his magazine, Global Vintage
Quarterly, alongside a separate National Critics' Score, which
represents an average rating compiled from five publications: Wine
Spectator, The Wine Advocate, Wine Enthusiast, Stephen Tanzer's
International Wine Cellar and Connoisseurs' Guide to California Wine.
Enologix divides wine into four categories. For reds, Style 1 is pale
in color and low in tannin, like most pinot noir or French Burgundy;
Style 2 is also pale, but higher in tannin, like Italian Barolo; Style
3 is dark and tannic, like a great many cabernet sauvignons and
first-growth Bordeaux; Style 4 is similarly dark but only moderately
tannic. This last category, McCloskey told me, represents ''the vast
majority of successful, flagship mainstream wines, the most elegant
and popular wines in the world.''

Fermentation, the foundation of winemaking, occurs when yeast converts
grape sugar into alcohol. Harvesting fruit late yields more intense
flavor, though higher sugars result in higher alcohol levels;
''draining down sweet'' -- separating the juice in a fermentation tank
from its crushed grape skins before all the sugar has been transformed
-- means that less harsh-tasting tannin will find its way into the
wine, with the side effect that it may age less well. According to
McCloskey, these techniques (guided by Enologix chemistry and his
winemaking expertise) can yield the Style 4 qualities -- rich,
concentrated flavor and a soft, velvety sensation in the mouth -- that
contemporary critics value most.

McCloskey claims that by using his system and the 100-point scale,
winemakers can predict their own average critical scores within two
and a half points with 95 percent accuracy (one and a half points with
80 percent accuracy). He says that the typical winery signing up with
Enologix realizes a five-point rise over its previous years' average
scores for red wines -- six for white. McCloskey's emphasis is on the
luxury cabernet market in which wineries can afford Enologix's average
annual service fee of $20,000. The company's revenues (which vary
between $1 million and $1.4 million) flow from such prestigious names
as Beaulieu, Benziger, Diamond Creek, Merry Edwards, Niebaum-Coppola,
Ridge, St. Francis and Sebastiani. According to McCloskey, 39 Enologix
wines scored 90 points or higher in a recent issue of The Wine
Advocate.

The Chappellet winery is hidden in a grove of oaks backed by open
slopes of grapevines, high among the rugged hills on Napa Valley's
eastern edge. Founded in 1968 by Donn and Molly Chappellet, the
company won early acclaim for its cabernet sauvignon, but as consumer
tastes shifted toward softer textures and juicier fruit, it acquired
the aura of a has-been. To turn things around, the owners hired a
young winemaker, Phillip Titus, in 1990. He began working with
Enologix in 1996, and in 2004 Connoisseurs' Guide chose a Chappellet
cabernet as the Wine of the Year.

After parking the car and entering the winery's cavernous interior, we
were greeted by Titus, now 49, who drew a foaming sample of merlot
from a stainless-steel fermentation tank. As we tasted the wine, Titus
recited its levels of tannin and complex anthocyanins -- in parts per
million -- from the Enologix chemical report. ''In my tasting group,
they can't speak this language,'' Titus said. ''Unless you're an
Enologix client, you don't talk about complex anthocyanins.''

Soon we were joined by two more of McCloskey's clients, Sam Spencer
and Wendy Roloson, who were making 5,000 cases of wine at Chappellet.
With the first fruit he had picked, Spencer had pressed the wine off
its skins after fermentation was finished. ''But when we looked at the
results,'' McCloskey said, ''quality was low because tannin was
high.''

''I wasn't able to drain down into a Style 4,'' Spencer confirmed.
''Your grapes are growing at Style 3,'' McCloskey told him. ''That's
the pitch your terroir is throwing you. But Parker, Laube and the
consumer are at Style 4, so you need to ask yourself, How can I get my
wine stylistically in the right ballpark?''

The answer was that Spencer would have to press his remaining grapes
earlier this time and aim to produce a successful product through
blending. ''You need to be so low in tannin that you're going to feel
really uncomfortable,'' McCloskey warned.

Later, Spencer told me that Enologix at first ''seemed like a luxury.
It wasn't exactly forthcoming about how the system works -- you have
to sign a nondisclosure agreement to see how the metrics add up, and I
wasn't convinced. But now I think it's a tool that every carpenter
ought to have.''

Not all of McCloskey's clients are so complimentary. Several I spoke
to declined to be quoted, apparently owing to a fear that being
identified with Enologix would suggest that they have gone over to the
dark side and are chasing the Score. (McCloskey calls this ''the
cover-up,'' when winemakers refuse to acknowledge their use of modern
technologies at odds with romantic marketing images.)

Joel Peterson, co-founder and general manager of Ravenswood (a noted
zinfandel winery where I once worked), told me that after Ravenswood's
brief experience with Enologix, he thought the company provided
information only for making one style of wine. ''It's a very narrow
definition of taste,'' Peterson says. ''Part of the charm and beauty
of wine is its idiosyncrasy, but when everybody tries to hit the same
sweet spot, it's like making soda pop.'' And when all wines taste
alike, he says, ''as a consumer you have to ask what you're paying
for.''

Although McCloskey is fond of proclaiming that ''the consumer is
king,'' sales don't figure into the Enologix Index. In lieu of formal
studies or statistics, McCloskey (like most of the rest of the wine
industry) accepts the axiom that buyers obey critics, whether or not
the average consumer's palate agrees with that of the average wine
writer.

The common objection to the Score is that wine is too complex a
beverage to be summed up in a single number. The way in which someone
responds to a wine depends on myriad variables: stylistic preference,
mood, the accompanying food and the state of the wine itself after
shipping and storing and aging -- not to mention the prejudices and
expectations that attend a wine's reputation and price. For the same
reason that a thundering symphony or screaming guitar solo may not
make the best dinner music, wines that do poorly in competitive
tastings sometimes fare better with meals than those
attention-grabbing ones that impress judges in isolation. Hence, by
keying his chemical evaluation system to critical scores, McCloskey
makes the (not uncommon) assumption that intensity is tantamount to
quality, when it's often equivalent only to extravagance.

''The prevailing critics can't distinguish real quality,'' says
Randall Grahm, the winemaker at Bonny Doon Vineyards (like Ravenswood,
a former Parker favorite that fell from grace as it grew). ''They're
easily fooled by fakery because the only thing they're looking for is
concentration. That probably can be correlated with chemistry -- but I
would argue that while it can be an indicator of quality, it's not the
only one. It doesn't speak to balance, for example.''

Roger Boulton, a professor in the department of viticulture and
oenology at the University of California, Davis, is critical of the
fact that Enologix's analytical methods aren't available for outsiders
to verify. ''If Leo is so sure about these things,'' Boulton asked me,
''why are they hidden?'' Others agree, complaining that McCloskey's
proprietary system constitutes a ''black box'' impervious to academic
and professional scrutiny.

''I'm not in the tenure-track business,'' McCloskey retorts. ''I
followed the academic rules and published papers for a while. I found
it was insanely slow. If you walked up to Steve Jobs and asked him to
reveal everything, he'd say, 'Get out of my face.'''

McCloskey, interestingly enough, grew up in San Francisco and
Cupertino, Calif., the home of Jobs and Apple Computer. Upon
graduating from Oregon State in 1971 with a degree in general science,
he returned home and got a job painting barrels with mildicide at
nearby Ridge Vineyards; within a year, he had taken over the winery's
lab -- such as it was -- and by the time he was 25 had published new
methods for measuring alcohol and malolactic fermentation (both now
essential to wine analysis). In 1976 he helped to found Felton-Empire,
a winery whose first vintage riesling won the Sweepstakes Award at the
Los Angeles County Fair.

Paul Draper, the now celebrated vintner who arrived at Ridge shortly
before McCloskey, recalls that Charlie Rosen -- one of the winery's
founders and then head of artificial intelligence at the Stanford
Research Institute -- considered McCloskey a genius, and Maynard
Amerine, a noted U.C. Davis professor who helped to classify
California's wine regions by climate, suggested that McCloskey get a
doctorate at Davis with the aim of joining the faculty. But Rosen and
Carl Djerassi, a Ridge investor and the inventor of the birth-control
pill, advised McCloskey to study ''things like chemistry and
mathematics, which actually have principles,'' McCloskey says.
''Enology is more like a social science.'' While remaining a paid
consultant at Ridge, McCloskey attended U.C. Santa Cruz, and there he
met his future wife, Susanne Arrhenius, a Swedish-born grad student
whose lineage included two Nobel laureates in chemistry. Following
Arrhenius into the field of chemical ecology, which analyzes the
relationships between organisms and their environments, McCloskey
completed his Ph.D. while continuing to consult with private clients
and serve as president of Felton-Empire.

''Chemical ecology says that a wine's flavor, color and fragrance are
expressions of its ecosystem,'' McCloskey told me. ''Wine scientists
thought grapes were more complicated than any other plant system. But
we found out that Vitis vinifera produces a relatively simple list of
flavors. Grapes are really rather primitive.''

Soon after McCloskey left U.C. Santa Cruz, Felton-Empire was sold.
Along the way, he noticed that the U.S. wine industry was becoming
more businesslike and less entrepreneurial. ''Critics were starting to
control the value chain that went from the winery to the distributor
to the retailer and restaurateur to the consumer,'' McCloskey says.
''By 1990 everybody was discrediting the Score, but I saw that the
critics were going to win because Americans wanted to reduce their
risk of purchase and winemakers weren't filling the information
void.''

That year, 1990, McCloskey met with Dick Graff, then chairman of the
Chalone Wine Group. McCloskey told him that although winemakers always
seemed surprised when their efforts didn't pan out, chemistry could
actually predict critical performance. Graff arranged for McCloskey to
taste Chalone wines with all the company's vintners, after which
McCloskey assembled the results and analyzed the wines' chemistry.
Later the winemakers were presented with 12 wines, and asked to rank
the 6 best and 6 worst. While others tallied the votes, McCloskey
produced a sealed envelope containing his chemically based
predictions: he correctly guessed the group's Top 3 and Bottom 3
choices, in the correct order.

After that, Graff introduced McCloskey to the owners of Chateau Lafite
Rothschild, the famous first-growth Bordeaux estate that had a
financial interest in Chalone. When McCloskey analyzed the chemistry
of Lafite's vintages from the previous decade, his quality index
exactly mirrored their economic performance. McCloskey continued to
work with Lafite for the next four years, over which time he gained a
dozen more clients. In 1993 he trademarked the name Enologix.

A week and a half after the meeting at Chappellet, Sam Spencer visited
the Enologix offices with samples of wine he had pressed according to
McCloskey's instructions. Studying its numbers, McCloskey said,
''That's a home run.''

''I literally baby-sat the fermenter,'' Spencer said.

Later, in the privacy of his office, McCloskey told me, ''My goal is
to make my customers self-sufficient so that metrics alone can solve
all their problems.'' Toward that end, he is now creating a thousand
proprietary documents that will include all of his winemaking
knowledge. Ultimately, he said, ''I'll be replaced by
customer-management software.''

And if McCloskey has his way, descriptions of a wine's terroir will be
replaced by reports on its levels of tannin and complex anthocyanin.

(David Darlington is the author of ''Zin: The History and Mystery of
Zinfandel'' (originally published as ''Angels' Visits''), among other
books, and writes the Short Finish column for Wine & Spirits
magazine.)

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton wrote:

> This profile of him appeared recently in the Wall Street Journal. I
> agree with your assessment, though. Did he make it into Mondovino I wonder?

Ack!! Make that the Aug. 7 Sunday NY Times Magazine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/ma...07ENOLOGI.html

[for registered readers]
Michael Pronay

Mark Lipton > wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/ma...07ENOLOGI.html
>
> [for registered readers]

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/magazine/07ENOLOGI.html?>

worked without registartion.

M.

Better living through Chemistry zxcvbob General Cooking 7 20-10-2006 03:07 PM
Wine Chemistry Bob M Wine 0 28-04-2006 11:46 PM
Wine Chemistry Bob M Winemaking 0 28-04-2006 11:44 PM
Chemistry Lesson? Brian Mailman Preserving 0 06-08-2004 05:50 PM
the chemistry of chocolate? Ted Shoemaker Chocolate 1 16-10-2003 02:07 AM