st.helier

Default Attn Messrs Hoare & Lipton re Allan Scott

Was in the South Island on business last week, and had a spare few minutes
in Blenheim before catching the fast ferry back to the NI - so, called out
to Allan Scott Wines for a bit of a catch up.

Notwithstanding the fact that they normally close at 5pm (and I arrived at 5
to!), they were only too willing to show me their entire Prestige range
(still at no charge!!)

Pleased to report that their 2003 Prestige Chardonnay is still an absolute
joy; a beautifully understated and harmonious.

They have also added a Prestige Sauvignon Blanc - hand picked; a couple
months in older oak just softens the typical Marlborough zing, while adding
a little complexity.

Their love and enthusiasm for what they do still makes this small place a
must visit - compared to the "monuments to vanity" which are springing up,
particularly around Hawkes Bay.

--
St.Helier

Mark Lipton

st.helier wrote:
> Was in the South Island on business last week, and had a spare few minutes
> in Blenheim before catching the fast ferry back to the NI - so, called out
> to Allan Scott Wines for a bit of a catch up.
>
> Notwithstanding the fact that they normally close at 5pm (and I arrived at 5
> to!), they were only too willing to show me their entire Prestige range
> (still at no charge!!)
>
> Pleased to report that their 2003 Prestige Chardonnay is still an absolute
> joy; a beautifully understated and harmonious.
>
> They have also added a Prestige Sauvignon Blanc - hand picked; a couple
> months in older oak just softens the typical Marlborough zing, while adding
> a little complexity.
>
> Their love and enthusiasm for what they do still makes this small place a
> must visit - compared to the "monuments to vanity" which are springing up,
> particularly around Hawkes Bay.

That's good to hear, milud! IIRC, the business had been sold a year or
two back, so it appears that the new proprietors -- whoever they might
be -- aren't "dumbing down" the product line.

Mark Lipton
st.helier

Mark Lipton commented....

> That's good to hear, milud! IIRC, the business had been sold a year
> or two back, so it appears that the new proprietors -- whoever they
> might be -- aren't "dumbing down" the product line.

Yes, I must confess that I haven't been following the day to day happenings
of ownership changes in NZ vineyards as keenly as I once did, and had heard
whispers of a change of ownership.

However, I can only assume that any change may have been equity only - both
Allan and Catherine Scott are still very actively involved (Directors) and
son Josh is Head Winemaker, although the Company has retained the services
of a General Manager to run the operation day to day.

Perhaps there has been an injection of more capital via new shareholders - I
know they have significantly expanded their vineyard holdings.

--

st.h