Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Kistler Russian River 2010

Kistler Russian River 2010 ****

This is a disappointment. Mind you , it is a good wine. it is a good russian river pinot noir. As it should be. But I expected more than that of a such hyped winemaker and a $94 wine. I had it over the course of two days to check if it would improve. Fist sip sodalike, no finish, then soil and forestbed. Overripe strawberries, some tannins, not much. Finish opens up after an hour. Still short for a wine this caliper. Next day the strawberries are more like black forest fruit and some vanilla custard. Lacks the texture I like in russian river pinot. With marinated duck breast in fig sauce it is really yummy together and the rather short finish gets longer. Guess it is a food wine, like an old school rioja. I do prefer the cheaper Marimar Cristina. It is only slightly better than Rodney Strong reserve which costs half the price. I have one more bottle and I will keep it for some years to see, if I opened it too early.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 19/12/2014 4:36 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> Kistler Russian River 2010 ****
>

> This is a disappointment. Mind you , it is a good wine. it is a good russian river pinot noir. As it should be. But I expected more than that of a such hyped winemaker and a $94 wine. I had it over the course of two days to check if it would improve. Fist sip sodalike, no finish, then soil and forestbed. Overripe strawberries, some tannins, not much. Finish opens up after an hour. Still short for a wine this caliper. Next day the strawberries are more like black forest fruit and some vanilla custard. Lacks the texture I like in russian river pinot. With marinated duck breast in fig sauce it is really yummy together and the rather short finish gets longer. Guess it is a food wine, like an old school rioja. I do prefer the cheaper Marimar Cristina. It is only slightly better than Rodney Strong reserve which costs half the price. I have one more bottle and I will keep it for some years to see, if I opened it too early.

I'm very partial to the wines of Walter Hansel, in fact I have earmarked
a chardonnay for xmas day to go with a seafood lasagne.
His PNs are superb.
Graham