Posted to alt.food.wine

Default point of diminishing returns

we talk of this occasionally. Tonight I think I established an excellent
balance of wine quality to food pairing that brought out the best in
both. We had 5 spice duck breast (mostly Ian Hoare's recipe) with stir
fried veggies and a 2013 Russian River Pinot Noir Sonoma county from
Kirkland. The wine at 15 or so dollars wa a steal excellent cherry
bouquet a bit of oak (previous bottles showed more this one I kept to
about 55 degree F and the oak disappeared) wine and duck were just
perfect together. Neither one outshown the other, well maybe the duck's
sauce but hey. We cooked the duck sous vide and the tenderness of the
process really works with the duck as it does not lose any flavor (I did
add a little 5 spice to the duck pre sous vide and I think it integrated
a bit in the cooking.) All in all a 3 star meal at bib gourmand prices
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, November 28, 2014 3:05:10 AM UTC+1, Joseph Coulter wrote:
> we talk of this occasionally. Tonight I think I established an excellent
> balance of wine quality to food pairing that brought out the best in
> both. We had 5 spice duck breast (mostly Ian Hoare's recipe) with stir
> fried veggies and a 2013 Russian River Pinot Noir Sonoma county from
> Kirkland. The wine at 15 or so dollars wa a steal excellent cherry
> bouquet a bit of oak (previous bottles showed more this one I kept to
> about 55 degree F and the oak disappeared) wine and duck were just
> perfect together. Neither one outshown the other, well maybe the duck's
> sauce but hey. We cooked the duck sous vide and the tenderness of the
> process really works with the duck as it does not lose any flavor (I did
> add a little 5 spice to the duck pre sous vide and I think it integrated
> a bit in the cooking.) All in all a 3 star meal at bib gourmand prices

now that makes me hungry...

Mike
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 27/11/2014 7:05 PM, Joseph Coulter wrote:
> we talk of this occasionally. Tonight I think I established an excellent
> balance of wine quality to food pairing that brought out the best in
> both. We had 5 spice duck breast (mostly Ian Hoare's recipe) with stir
> fried veggies and a 2013 Russian River Pinot Noir Sonoma county from
> Kirkland. The wine at 15 or so dollars wa a steal excellent cherry
> bouquet a bit of oak (previous bottles showed more this one I kept to
> about 55 degree F and the oak disappeared) wine and duck were just
> perfect together. Neither one outshown the other, well maybe the duck's
> sauce but hey. We cooked the duck sous vide and the tenderness of the
> process really works with the duck as it does not lose any flavor (I did
> add a little 5 spice to the duck pre sous vide and I think it integrated
> a bit in the cooking.) All in all a 3 star meal at bib gourmand prices

Don't the Kirkland bottle labels show the name of the producer? The last
time I bought some of their PN, the vigneron was named on the rear label.
Graham
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
:

> we talk of this occasionally.

Drinking expensive wine is nice, but to enjoy wine you do not need to spend
lots of money. There is plenty of great wine being made at decent prices.

Yesterday, a really nice bottle of a young winemaker from Rioja: Roberto
Olivan, making wine with the brand Tentenublo. 14 euros in a shop, speaks
of Red Rioja, it is a field blend with some white on it...

If you drink wine as part of a luxurious lifestyle, then there is plenty of
alternatives too.

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11/28/2014 10:32 AM, graham wrote:

> Don't the Kirkland bottle labels show the name of the producer? The last
> time I bought some of their PN, the vigneron was named on the rear label.
> Graham

Ahh there it is. Cellared and bottled by DC Flynt MW Selections. Their
only other Russian River Wine is McDaniel Vinyards.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 28/11/2014 2:14 PM, Joseph Coulter wrote:
> On 11/28/2014 10:32 AM, graham wrote:
>

>> Don't the Kirkland bottle labels show the name of the producer? The last
>> time I bought some of their PN, the vigneron was named on the rear label.
>> Graham

> Ahh there it is. Cellared and bottled by DC Flynt MW Selections.

So Flynt is a Burgundy-style négociant and possibly bought from multiple
sources.
Graham

An old vendor returns dogma_i Tea 5 03-03-2010 04:36 AM
The Huntress Returns Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 27 20-04-2009 04:59 PM
The Huntress Returns [email protected] General Cooking 0 18-04-2009 09:03 PM
Hell's Kitchen Returns! jmcquown General Cooking 34 29-05-2007 04:05 AM
The virgin returns Ric Sourdough 4 03-02-2006 06:45 PM