Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Masi Amarone Costasera 2003, Ch. Chantegreve 2010, Les Fosses deHareng 2012

So I was asked what wine with chicken liver pate? Only one3 answer,
Vouvray unfortunately I already hit the Viking on Saturday but had a
nice little bottle of a sec version which did quite nicely. Not as
complex as the Viking but bright apples, candied fruit and a little
honey a very nice first course.

The Masi was admittedly not the best choice for a steak but I really
wanted to try it. It was way to pruney for meal, we will try it tomorrow.

The Chantegreve Graves was the substitute and stood in for the steak
quite well though not as complex as I would have liked.

The steak was cooked sous vide and then finished on the grill,
incredibly consistent medium rare we have become quite convinced, This
steak would have been a bit tough cooked conventionally but in the sous
vide it was juicy and tender quite memorable.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:21:12 AM UTC+2, Jcoulter wrote:
> So I was asked what wine with chicken liver pate? Only one3 answer,
>
> Vouvray unfortunately I already hit the Viking on Saturday but had a
>
> nice little bottle of a sec version which did quite nicely. Not as
>
> complex as the Viking but bright apples, candied fruit and a little
>
> honey a very nice first course.
>

> The Masi was admittedly not the best choice for a steak but I really
>
> wanted to try it. It was way to pruney for meal, we will try it tomorrow.
>

> The Chantegreve Graves was the substitute and stood in for the steak
>
> quite well though not as complex as I would have liked.
>

> The steak was cooked sous vide and then finished on the grill,
>
> incredibly consistent medium rare we have become quite convinced, This
>
> steak would have been a bit tough cooked conventionally but in the sous
>
> vide it was juicy and tender quite memorable.

Sous vide. Makes things juicy and tender, but makes everything taste the same, so yo can serve pork and tell people it's veal ;-)

cheers, nice to see AFW still going strong

Mike
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/21/2014 6:53 AM, Mike Tommasi wrote:

> Sous vide. Makes things juicy and tender, but makes everything taste the same, so yo can serve pork and tell people it's veal ;-)
>
> cheers, nice to see AFW still going strong
>
> Mike

The sous vide does not enhance taste, but the steaks were finished on
the grill and thus got the grill flavor albeit not as strong as a full
cooking. Sauces become important with sous vide that is for sure as the
seasoning does not get into the meat during cooking.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote in
:

> Sous vide. Makes things juicy and tender, but makes everything taste
> the same, so yo can serve pork and tell people it's veal ;-)
>
> cheers, nice to see AFW still going strong

What is really nice is to meet you around. Yesterday I went to google
groups to find your recipe for risotto... from more than 10 years ago.

Are you around Paris?

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:07:36 PM UTC+2, santiago wrote:
> Mike Tommasi wrote in
>
> :
>

> > Sous vide. Makes things juicy and tender, but makes everything taste

> > the same, so yo can serve pork and tell people it's veal ;-)

> > cheers, nice to see AFW still going strong

> What is really nice is to meet you around. Yesterday I went to google
>
> groups to find your recipe for risotto... from more than 10 years ago.
>

> Are you around Paris?

I will have to look up my own recipe to check if I was doing anything funny back then ;-)

No not in Paris. Home in the South...

Will try to hang out here more...

cheers Santiago and all

Mike

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/21/2014 6:53 AM, Mike Tommasi wrote:

> Sous vide. Makes things juicy and tender, but makes everything taste the same, so yo can serve pork and tell people it's veal ;-)
>
> cheers, nice to see AFW still going strong
>
> Mike

I thought so too for a while, my first taste was veal juicy but non
descript. The beef was over sauced and salty, but then Ian did duck
magret and . . .

Other really nice treatments the steak finished on the grill and salmon
and steelhead trout no mistaking the flavors and cooked perfectly. That
is what convinced us we had made a good choice.