Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pine Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

I've been eye balling this cab for a while. It seems the grapes are a mix of stags leap and Rutherford, making it the closest thing to a Rutherford cab I can get in my area. Anyone have t.notes on it? Especially interested in comparison with Beringer's "Napa Valley" Cab. and Knights Valley, which are quite a bit cheaper here. So Im hoping the Pine Ridge to be "bigger" than those. Also have access to Stag's Leap "Fay" so how does it compare to that one?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:25:04 AM UTC-6, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> I've been eye balling this cab for a while. It seems the grapes are a mix of stags leap and Rutherford, making it the closest thing to a Rutherford cab I can get in my area. Anyone have t.notes on it? Especially interested in comparison with Beringer's "Napa Valley" Cab. and Knights Valley, which are quite a bit cheaper here. So Im hoping the Pine Ridge to be "bigger" than those. Also have access to Stag's Leap "Fay" so how does it compare to that one?

Had one last week from 2010. OK, nothing memorable about it. Served with Elk tenderloin. Balanced and decent fruit, not much else going on. Medium finish. Rate it a B on Dale scale 88 points on 100 scale. I like the BV Rutherford quite a bit if you want the dust.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:58:15 PM UTC+2, lleichtman wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:25:04 AM UTC-6, Michael Nielsen wrote:
>
> > I've been eye balling this cab for a while. It seems the grapes are a mix of stags leap and Rutherford, making it the closest thing to a Rutherford cab I can get in my area. Anyone have t.notes on it? Especially interested in comparison with Beringer's "Napa Valley" Cab. and Knights Valley, which are quite a bit cheaper here. So Im hoping the Pine Ridge to be "bigger" than those. Also have access to Stag's Leap "Fay" so how does it compare to that one?

> Had one last week from 2010. OK, nothing memorable about it. Served with Elk tenderloin. Balanced and decent fruit, not much else going on. Medium finish. Rate it a B on Dale scale 88 points on 100 scale. I like the BV Rutherford quite a bit if you want the dust.

But is it better than Beringer's Knights Valley?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:52:52 PM UTC-6, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:58:15 PM UTC+2, lleichtman wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:25:04 AM UTC-6, Michael Nielsen wrote:

> > > I've been eye balling this cab for a while. It seems the grapes are a mix of stags leap and Rutherford, making it the closest thing to a Rutherford cab I can get in my area. Anyone have t.notes on it? Especially interested in comparison with Beringer's "Napa Valley" Cab. and Knights Valley, which are quite a bit cheaper here. So Im hoping the Pine Ridge to be "bigger" than those. Also have access to Stag's Leap "Fay" so how does it compare to that one?

> > Had one last week from 2010. OK, nothing memorable about it. Served with Elk tenderloin. Balanced and decent fruit, not much else going on. Medium finish. Rate it a B on Dale scale 88 points on 100 scale. I like the BV Rutherford quite a bit if you want the dust.

> But is it better than Beringer's Knights Valley?

Not really
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:48:48 AM UTC+2, lleichtman wrote:
> > But is it better than Beringer's Knights Valley?

> Not really

Then I have the option of Rodney Strong, Alexander Valley, Cab... Know that one? I didnt taste this at the winery when I visited. They had Alexanders Crown which was pretty good, but I think this is a "little brother".

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:36:54 PM UTC+2, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> Then I have the option of Rodney Strong, Alexander Valley, Cab... Know that one? I didnt taste this at the winery when I visited. They had Alexanders Crown which was pretty good, but I think this is a "little brother".

Im also starting to consider to be adventurous and try a Washington cab, Dunn's "Feather". Know it? Its cheaper than pine ridge and gets slightly better reviews, and I never tried a washington cab before.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, October 3, 2014 12:18:39 PM UTC+2, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> Im also starting to consider to be adventurous and try a Washington cab, Dunn's "Feather". Know it? Its cheaper than pine ridge and gets slightly better reviews, and I never tried a washington cab before.

for kicks, look at these danish prices for those wines you know with certain pvalue per dollar ratios:

Beringer Founder's editions: 17$
Beringer Knights Valley: 44$
Beringer Napa Valley Cab: 60$
Beringer Private Reserve: 152$
Pine Ridge: 81$
Dunns Feather: 71$
Kistler Chard Les Nois: 80$
Kistler entry level Russian River Pinot: 96$
Pine Ridge Forefront Pinot: 37$
Kendall Jackson's Vinter reserve series: 31$
Stags Leap FAY: 120$
Stags Leap SLV: 190$

I always laugh when people talk about Beringer's Knights Valley as a sub-20$ wine haha.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:48:48 AM UTC+2, lleichtman wrote:
> > But is it better than Beringer's Knights Valley?

> Not really

In the end I picked Beringer Quantum (and also have Knights Valley on the menu). Its price wasnt inflated on danish soil as the others were. Got it for 60$ vs 65$ US list price.