Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Is Grenache the new Zinfandel

Back in the late 80's I can recall drinking Zinfandel from California that was usually about 11-13% abv, briary, fruity with a strong berry character, moderately tannic and was a great change from Cabernet/Merlot based wines. Through the 90's the ripeness and alcohol skyrocketed and seeing 16% abv wines was not unusual. Overly oaky, deeply concentrated and highly alcoholic I moved away from these wines as I didn't enjoy them in the least.

A few years ago I noticed that I was seeing more and more Grenache based wines from California to compete with the Rhone and Spanish Garnacha wines that I enjoyed so much. These wines were ripe and fruity but well balanced and done in a food freindly style that made them appealing on a restaurant wine list or to enjoy at home with casual dinners as the wine complimented so many different food styles. These days I'm finding more and more Grenache wines from California but I notice a trend in ever increasing ripeness and alcohol. Is it just me?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/28/2014 12:42 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> Back in the late 80's I can recall drinking Zinfandel from California that was usually about 11-13% abv, briary, fruity with a strong berry character, moderately tannic and was a great change from Cabernet/Merlot based wines. Through the 90's the ripeness and alcohol skyrocketed and seeing 16% abv wines was not unusual. Overly oaky, deeply concentrated and highly alcoholic I moved away from these wines as I didn't enjoy them in the least.
>
> A few years ago I noticed that I was seeing more and more Grenache based wines from California to compete with the Rhone and Spanish Garnacha wines that I enjoyed so much. These wines were ripe and fruity but well balanced and done in a food freindly style that made them appealing on a restaurant wine list or to enjoy at home with casual dinners as the wine complimented so many different food styles. These days I'm finding more and more Grenache wines from California but I notice a trend in ever increasing ripeness and alcohol. Is it just me?

The good news is that it would be hard for a CA wine to compete with a
Tempranillo or Grenacha from Spain. I am buying some really nice wines
for under $20 and every day wines for around $10.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 10:42:12 AM UTC-6, Bi!! wrote:
> Back in the late 80's I can recall drinking Zinfandel from California that was usually about 11-13% abv, briary, fruity with a strong berry character, moderately tannic and was a great change from Cabernet/Merlot based wines. Through the 90's the ripeness and alcohol skyrocketed and seeing 16% abv wines was not unusual. Overly oaky, deeply concentrated and highly alcoholic I moved away from these wines as I didn't enjoy them in the least.
>

> A few years ago I noticed that I was seeing more and more Grenache based wines from California to compete with the Rhone and Spanish Garnacha wines that I enjoyed so much. These wines were ripe and fruity but well balanced and done in a food freindly style that made them appealing on a restaurant wine list or to enjoy at home with casual dinners as the wine complimented so many different food styles. These days I'm finding more and more Grenache wines from California but I notice a trend in ever increasing ripeness and alcohol. Is it just me?

Some of the Grenaches have become cult wines with ridiculous prices. I agree with Bill, it is hard for CA to compete with Spain on Grenache. France either for that matter. As to the Zin, it does keep getting more and more ripe and this is making very high alcohol out of balance wine such that it is not selling well anymore. Many vineyards are pulling Zinfandel and planting something else.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:
> Back in the late 80's I can recall drinking Zinfandel from California
> that was usually about 11-13% abv, briary, fruity with a strong berry
> character, moderately tannic and was a great change from
> Cabernet/Merlot based wines. Through the 90's the ripeness and
> alcohol skyrocketed and seeing 16% abv wines was not unusual. Overly
> oaky, deeply concentrated and highly alcoholic I moved away from
> these wines as I didn't enjoy them in the least.
>
> A few years ago I noticed that I was seeing more and more Grenache
> based wines from California to compete with the Rhone and Spanish
> Garnacha wines that I enjoyed so much. These wines were ripe and
> fruity but well balanced and done in a food freindly style that made
> them appealing on a restaurant wine list or to enjoy at home with
> casual dinners as the wine complimented so many different food
> styles. These days I'm finding more and more Grenache wines from
> California but I notice a trend in ever increasing ripeness and
> alcohol. Is it just me?

Bill, one factor might be that the vines are getting older and producing
more intense wines than they used to, though of course that wouldn't
affect either the ripeness or the oak use. I've never been overly
impressed with the CA Grenaches I've tried, but I did have a very nice
one from Birichino a few years ago.

Mark Lipton

Grenache........ [email protected] Winemaking 10 11-07-2006 01:09 AM
Grenache JR Wine 15 23-04-2006 12:28 AM
Grenache Rosé Weez Winemaking 2 07-10-2004 04:22 AM
Grenache Rosé Weez Winemaking 3 06-09-2004 08:22 PM
Grenache Grapes Weez Winemaking 5 05-09-2004 12:44 PM