Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Gregory Peck's claret, + Loire, Campania, Rhine wines

A couple of cool cloudy (but no rain) August days. Friday Betsy made seafood (scallop and shrimp) risotto, I opened the 2002 Closel "Clos du Papillon" Savennieres. Dark color, quite oxidized. I had known that was likely, so had a backup ready- the 2010 Mastrobernardino Fiano di Avellino. Very floral, white fruits, honied, good. B

Saturday she took on a monster zucchini, stuffing with a spicy mix of tomatoes, bread crumbs, and vegetables, along with local pork chops from farmers market topped with creminis in a red wine sauce and an arugula salad. Wine was the 2012 G. Breuer Spatburgunder. Crisp, crunchy cherry fruit, bright, tobacco leaf, nice lighter styled PN. B

Sunday was a workday, running picnic for 100 people, was tired when I got home and read on couch while Betsy made dinner- butter chicken, grilled squash and corn, green bean and lettuce salad. Wine was the 2011 Wagner Stempel "Siefersheimer Vom Porphyr" Riesling Trocken. This is not a producer I know, but I really liked (and Betsy loved even more). Rich pit fruit and some citrus, mineral, fresh, nice length. Refreshing, full without being heavy, spicy, delicious. This is really good! A-

Last night we invited a couple who had just adopted 2 young dogs, an 11 month and a 2 year old, Lucy the almost 12 year old hound wore herself out playing. Then they all enjoyed marrow bones while we had dinner. Crab salad canapes and a caprese salad were accompanied by the NV Pinon Brut Rose (Touraine). Sweet strawberry fruit (though totally dry), mineral, hint of herbs. Fun stuff. B+

We had grilled lamb chops, eggplant "steaks" with mushrooms, squash, and fruit, with the
1997 Ch. Beychevelle (a recent auction purchase, from Gregory Peck's cellar!). Soft, mature, not much depth or weight, but a decent claret with plum and cassis fruit, resolved tannins, a little leather. Easygoing. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:29:36 AM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> A couple of cool cloudy (but no rain) August days. Friday Betsy made seafood (scallop and shrimp) risotto, I opened the 2002 Closel "Clos du Papillon" Savennieres. Dark color, quite oxidized. I had known that was likely, so had a backup ready- the 2010 Mastrobernardino Fiano di Avellino. Very floral, white fruits, honied, good. B
>

> Saturday she took on a monster zucchini, stuffing with a spicy mix of tomatoes, bread crumbs, and vegetables, along with local pork chops from farmers market topped with creminis in a red wine sauce and an arugula salad. Wine was the 2012 G. Breuer Spatburgunder. Crisp, crunchy cherry fruit, bright, tobacco leaf, nice lighter styled PN. B
>

> Sunday was a workday, running picnic for 100 people, was tired when I got home and read on couch while Betsy made dinner- butter chicken, grilled squash and corn, green bean and lettuce salad. Wine was the 2011 Wagner Stempel "Siefersheimer Vom Porphyr" Riesling Trocken. This is not a producer I know, but I really liked (and Betsy loved even more). Rich pit fruit and some citrus, mineral, fresh, nice length. Refreshing, full without being heavy, spicy, delicious. This is really good! A-
>

> Last night we invited a couple who had just adopted 2 young dogs, an 11 month and a 2 year old, Lucy the almost 12 year old hound wore herself out playing. Then they all enjoyed marrow bones while we had dinner. Crab salad canapes and a caprese salad were accompanied by the NV Pinon Brut Rose (Touraine). Sweet strawberry fruit (though totally dry), mineral, hint of herbs. Fun stuff. B+
>

> We had grilled lamb chops, eggplant "steaks" with mushrooms, squash, and fruit, with the
>
> 1997 Ch. Beychevelle (a recent auction purchase, from Gregory Peck's cellar!). Soft, mature, not much depth or weight, but a decent claret with plum and cassis fruit, resolved tannins, a little leather. Easygoing. B
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I bought a couple of mixed cases of 1997 Bordeaux a few years ago(no First Growths) for less than $50 a bottle and I have really enjoyed them. I have not opened the Beychevelles yet but will report when I do. A couple of Cos, Lynch Bages, Barton, etc. I find them to be very drinkable and food friendly.

TN: Nice wellpriced wines from greater Burgundy, Campania, Veneto DaleW Wine 2 16-09-2014 01:17 PM
recent Loire wines Emery Davis` Wine 5 12-08-2014 03:32 PM
TN: Inside wines, outside wines - Loire, Beaujolais, Chablis, Argentina DaleW Wine 0 17-07-2014 07:07 PM
TN: Wines w/o power (well, wines while I had no power- BdM, Loire, 2Sonoma wines) DaleW Wine 2 01-03-2010 10:09 PM
TN: slightly disappointing Loire and Rhine, Burg does better DaleW Wine 0 02-03-2007 04:31 PM